HITT vs LISS when bulking?

Which type of cardio do you believe is the greatest for preserving muscle and keeping off fat while bulking?

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    I don't think you can completely prevent fat gain while bulking. You need a surplus to build the muscle, so you don't want to burn the calories you're trying to bulk with. Cardio is good for your cardiovascular system, so I wouldn't suggest you don't do any, but I would think you don't want *excessive* cardio of any type. And you'll still need to fuel it, anyway.

If I am not mistaken, to prevent excess fat gain, you should not have too aggressive a surplus. Abs aren't the only muscle made in the kitchen.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    When bulking the aim is to be building muscle not preserving it (otherwise you are doing it wrong!) Some fat will be gained but you can keep it minimal by keeping your surplus smaller, following proper progressive programming and starting off lean. Cardio will increase calories burned so this can help lower the surplus, eating less also works. Personally I would avoid HIIT or any cardio that is super strenuous when bulking as to not interfere with your lifting in any way since that is what is going to push you to grow and should be your priority in the gym.

Agreed, but I will also note that you don't want your cardio to interfere with your recovery from lifting either. So a few days of light cardio should be enough, otherwise, you will just have to eat more and monitor recovery and lifting performance even closer.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    erickirb wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    When bulking the aim is to be building muscle not preserving it (otherwise you are doing it wrong!) Some fat will be gained but you can keep it minimal by keeping your surplus smaller, following proper progressive programming and starting off lean. Cardio will increase calories burned so this can help lower the surplus, eating less also works. Personally I would avoid HIIT or any cardio that is super strenuous when bulking as to not interfere with your lifting in any way since that is what is going to push you to grow and should be your priority in the gym.

Agreed, but I will also note that you don't want your cardio to interfere with your recovery from lifting either. So a few days of light cardio should be enough, otherwise, you will just have to eat more and monitor recovery and lifting performance even closer.

These 2 posts sum it up very well. The only thing I would add is that HIIT, despite the voracious marketing of it these days, is not really a modality for weight training. It is a modality specific to improving VO2 max for sports performance. It's central nervous system impact and fatigue and competition for recovery resources, as erickirb references, would be counter productive to mass gaining.
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Thank you for the replies.

I read Dorian Yates would powerwalk four times a week on the off-season for cardiovascular health and to keep off excess fat.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    LvlUpStr wrote: »

I read Dorian Yates would powerwalk four times a week on the off-season for cardiovascular health and to keep off excess fat.

Meh. A lot of people do a lot of things and attribute certain results to it. If you bulk, even a lean bulk, you are going to gain some fat. Powerwalking or any other cardio doesn't really prevent that.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    LvlUpStr wrote: »

Be very wary about using any Mr. O for anything but 'mirin their physique. Trying to copy their training or diet as a natural doesn't usually end well.

Nothing wrong with cardiovascular health and it's one aspect of fitness that many lifters sometimes ignore. Like mentioned above, it's a balancing act and depending on your ultimate goal may not fit very high on a priority list.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    I want to get my heart rate up but I don't want to feel like I am dying, so I personally prefer LISS. I like to do the elliptical for 30 minutes 1-3 times a week, depending on my schedule. I want my heart rate to stay between 100-140. That way I am working on my cardiovascular health, but not eating into any potential gains I might be making. I have finally gotten out of the mindset of using cardio to lose weight, and now I just rely on it to keep my heart and lungs healthy.