Best way to cook salmon?

duteshredded
duteshredded Posts: 32 Member
Considering adding in a salmon meal to my diet just for health benefits/more protein lol.

How do you find the best way to cook it/season it?

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    The only thing you need to worry about with salmon is overcooking it. It dries out quite easily.

There are very few flavour profiles that don’t work with salmon. Here’s a few ideas I’ve used over the years.

Crush a handful of walnuts, add some chopped fresh parsley, press on top of the salmon fillet. Bake.

Harrissa & Honey. Mix equal quantities. Top the salmon. Grill or bake.

Use in Thai Red Curry. It stands up well to strong flavours so curry is great. Just dice and add for the last few mins.

Mix Apple Jelly, horseradish and a touch of cider vinegar. Top salmon and bake.

Poaching also works great with salmon, especially if you want to eat it cold, flaked into a salad.

Simply pan frying works too.
  • mga573
    mga573 Posts: 2 Member
    Agree with above, be careful not to overcook and dry it out. There are so many great ways to cook it! Lately a fav of mine is just topping with any salsa you like and baking in oven 😊 have tried with both regular and mango salsa.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited January 2020
    My personal choice is to Air Fry it. Put a 5-6 oz piece skin side down on cooking sprayed foil. I use lemon pepper seasoning and spray the salmon with olive oil. Cook at 400 degrees F (do not preheat air fryer) for around 7-10 min, depending on wattage of your fryer. Pull it out when inside temp of fish measures 130. It comes out perfect every time. Watch it closely though, as it can go from buttery delicious to dried out pretty quick. Top with fresh lemon juice after cooking.
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    I steam or air fry it. Usually season with pepper or lemon pepper. Sometimes dill. If I steam I will steam with lemon slices if I have them.
  • katermari
    katermari Posts: 137 Member
    i like to coat mine in caijun spice and bake it.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    edited January 2020
    I poach it in the microwave in a mix of white wine and water, with dehydrated onion flakes, peppercorns and a bay leaf. Serve with a dill sauce (plain yogurt, dried dill, lemon) on top of couscous, with asparagus on the side.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    The internet has an abundant amount of recipes. Try some the sound good to you. I like to use olive oil, lime juice, garlic, and cilantro (cut in a mini food processor) on top of my salmon. Personally, I like my salmon cooked a little more than most.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    Baked/grill/smoked.

Lemon, garlic powder and lil soy sauce..

Or

smothered with oyster sauce

Or

Lemon pepper, garlic powder and butter

Or

Sprinkled with plain old Bay seasoning

I typically cooked with shrimps also.. 🤤

xuxdbitnxcxt.jpg
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    I like to cook mine in a parcel made of foil.
    Just the salmon and a chunk of lemon, bake. It sort of dreams itself.
  • chrissyjmiller13
    chrissyjmiller13 Posts: 2 Member
    I like to charcoal grill mine on foil with a sprinkle of a store bought spice. Lately it has been Adams citrus sriracha. Super yummy and easy. I keep Costco’s frozen wild caught salmon in the freezer for when we are in the mood. Then fresh squeezed lemon sometimes when serving.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    I prefer salmon raw. Gravlax, a poke bowl, salmon tartare, salmon carpaccio, ceviche.
  • karenscfld
    karenscfld Posts: 38 Member
    I butter a frying pan, salt and pepper the fish. I cook skin side down until it is crispy and releases. I flip the salmon and peel off the skin. I then add additional salt and pepper. I cook a couple more minutes than finish with the juice of one lemon and a tablespoon of capers. That is really delicious. If not that, then I'll sometime finish with a teaspoon of orange marmlade. It is seriously good served over a bed of rice.
  • berriosilona
    berriosilona Posts: 4 Member
    I can recommend a Ceviche.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/salmon-ceviche-with-mango-1664892

I get alread hungry by thinking of it
  • fourtotwentychars
    fourtotwentychars Posts: 36 Member
    Steaming is good. I had steamed salmon for us tea last night, it was the best dinner I've cooked myself this year.
  • ssooooz
    ssooooz Posts: 4 Member
    My favourite is salmon sashimi with soy and wasabi.
    Otherwise pan fried in a splash of oil. I like my salmon overcooked and overseasoned (with S & P).
  • dyaneyoungs
    dyaneyoungs Posts: 2 Member
    I just pop mine in the microwave for 1 min 30 seconds. Perfect and fast
  • Tennisskater
    Tennisskater Posts: 66 Member
    I took a cooking class on the Oregon coast... they said to cut the large fillet in equal individual slices then roast or grill low and slow approx 250 degrees 20 minutes or so. That way the fat renders, stays moist without it turning white...you don't want to see white
  • JoDavo66
    JoDavo66 Posts: 526 Member
    In a fish kettle with dill
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Skinnytaste has one that you do in the air fryer that is really good too.
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    Any fish is delicate and needs attention to keep it from drying out during cooking. That is why frying is such a popular method - the grease soaks in and not only adds it's own flavor to the fish, it keeps it from drying out even if overcooked.

My favorite way to cook salmon is on the grill:
    1. If the cook can monitor and adjust the heat, 250-275 degrees (F) for 15 to 20 minutes works best for me. Use the indirect method or a very low heat pile of charcoal under the fish.
    2. Skin side down, no herbs or spices (but add whatever you like), just a small container of water brought to a boil before placing the fish on the grill. Use a lid that will cover both fish and water container and keep both covered. The lid will keep steam in and help cook the salmon more evenly and it will also let smoke/wood aroma in to add that taste-of-the-outdoors.

And don't worry about that white stuff - it's just a protein called albumin. If you see it the salmon is probably cooking too fast, but it's not dangerous. If you don't see it it is still in the fish. I also read somewhere than a 10 minute brine before cooking prevents it from coagulating, but it's still in the meat. The problem is that the fish might not cook evenly if cooked to fast, so reduce the heat to slow it down.