Getting worried about my weight

I need help. I'm 327 pounds and 75.7% body fat. I need to get rid of this FAST. I'm 50 now and it's getting harder. I've had mini strokes in the past and i don't want any more.

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    There are no "fast" ways to lose weight that are also safe.

Best place to start for someone like you (assuming little or no exercise & bad eating habits) would be to start by making a couple of meaningful changes.

If you don't exercise, start walking 30 minutes a day. If you can't do 30 minutes, try breaking it up over the course of a day. I've had clients in very poor condition that all they could do is go to the end of the block and back before they were spent. That's fine. Walk to the end of the block, rest, do it again later in the day. Maybe in try that 3-4 times a day. In a week or two you'll be able to walk a whole block. I don't know your level of fitness but the important part is to start slow, aim for 30 minutes a day. Scale it to a level that's safe for your level of fitness. If you have access to weights or a gym start doing some lifting. Gyms have machines that are good for new people as they keep the range of motion to a point where getting injured is lessened. Alternatively there are a lot of good workouts online for free you can do with a set of bands.

Second, if you drink pop try to stop drinking it. In general, outside of maybe milk, don't drink your calories. Make a conscious effort to eat a little less at each meal and eat more veggies and lean meats. in your current condition you can probably lose weight just doing these three things. After you lose some weight you will probably have to increase activity, be more strict about your diet but for now this is a good starting point.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    Log everything you eat before you eat it.

By itself this starts as a deterrent to overeating :wink:

Review your logs and evaluate dispationately if the calories you spent out of your budget were worth it for each item and if the food in question helped you stay on track for your reasonable goals.

Ruthlessly substitute and make changes till staying on track is as easy as it gets.

Pick reasonable, not aspirational goals.

You're 50. By 55 you could be normal weight, 4.5 years into a >10% weight reduction which by itself delivers a multitude of health benefits, and a couple of years into maintenance (at which point your odds of continuing to maintain over the next 5 years to 60 will go up substantially).

Or you could be starting again for the second or third time. After having spent less than a cumulative year at that -10% that gives you health benefits.

I like health benefits. As a total pessimist I decided to take my time losing so that I could log some quality time at that -10% or more... as much as possible!

You've had some good ideas above. I would NOT cut my food to zero and start exercising like a dervish.

I absolutely WOULD try to figure out "long term menus" in the 2000 to 2300 Calorie ranges and adjust as time went on based on my actual weight trend results.

Seeking to go as fast as was SUSTAINABLY possible.

I generally found that deficits over 25% of my tdee we're not sustainable for me.

Losing at a lesser average deficit for the bulk of my weight loss didn't exactly stop me from getting there ... to the contrary for me! (1st year on mfp was 72.5lbs)

@NovusDies runs a group that might interest you to join. Look for larger losers
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited January 2020
    Ditto-ing what has already been said. Now that you've learned smart ways to go about it, practice some positive self talk, find some small goals, and start a new routine. NOW. Not knowing how much you want or need to lose, I'm just picking a number. Say you want to lose 50 lbs; don't think of that 50 but think of losing the first 5-10. Make that your first goal, then as you make your new habits yours and gain the confidence/motivation, attack another 5-10. Your weight WILL drop when you make the recommended changes that people have suggested. Get to walking, anywhere, anytime, any amount, it's the best exercise to start with. And always push yourself that extra 30 seconds(with the dr.'s approval of course!!). It's not a competition but a journey for YOURSELF. Nobody can do this for you except YOU. Talk tough to yourself and do NOT let the weak side win. Throw out the junk food, the alcohol, whatever it is that constantly tempts you do not even allow it in your home. Lots of people say a treat now and then is fine, but for me, I know my hot triggers and junk is one of them. I just have to look back to what I did during the holidays and cringe. :( It took me a few days but I got right back to it. And that's important to remember too. We all have not-so-great days but we can get right back on the wagon and keep looking forward. Knowing what to do is only 1/2 the battle, conquering the mind requires more effort. At least, that's been my case. But please don't think fast with this trip. Fast does not=success. Making Changes+positivity= success. Swap out healthier options of foods you love. No empty calorie drinks. Instead of chowing down on a bag of cookies these days(trust me, I used to polish off a bag within a couple hours), I'll grab a couple pretzels, dip in p.b. There are always alternatives to what we choose.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten.
    Wishing you the very best of luck!!!!
  • emmabrookes1
    emmabrookes1 Posts: 67 Member
    I am going to (slightly) disagree with those advising you against losing weight fast, because at your weight and body fat percentage sometimes losing the first lot of weight fast can be a good kick start and even desirable. However any such programme should be under medical supervision since it would involve a rather drastic level of fasting and I recommend you consult your doctor for advice anyway, in view of the mini strokes.

^This is really important. As you've suffered strokes in the past, I assume you're likely to be on a few medications (anticoagulation, antihypertensive?) which means to stay safe you need to get a dr input.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited January 2020
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    I am going to (slightly) disagree with those advising you against losing weight fast, because at your weight and body fat percentage sometimes losing the first lot of weight fast can be a good kick start and even desirable. However any such programme should be under medical supervision since it would involve a rather drastic level of fasting and I recommend you consult your doctor for advice anyway, in view of the mini strokes.

Longer term you do need to find balance and a way to change your lifestyle so you lose at a sensible rate and can maintain the loss for ever. MFP can certainly help with that.

Good luck.

There is no reason to fast to lose weight. Drastic fasting is certainly not necessary.

I think it is a bad idea to set out to go fast because it can create a hardship that leads to failure. If a person seems to be having a decent honeymoon phase and can support a faster pace for 6 weeks or so I advise them to proceed with caution and recommend that it stays within the 1 percent rule. I do not consider that a kick start. I consider it taking advantage of one of the easy parts of weight loss that is sometimes afforded to people that start with a lot more to lose.

To the OP: As @PAV8888 mentioned I have a MFP group for people who are starting or originally started with 75 or more pounds to lose. I didn't invite you right away because you mentioned wanting to get your weight off fast. My group is really for people who are ready to lose their weight in a sensible and sustainable fashion. You are welcome to join if you are not intending on some type of crash diet.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers

• FoodBodyChanges
    FoodBodyChanges Posts: 29 Member
    I'm a big fan of Drs Greger & Fuhrman (How Not to Diet & Eat to Live). Plant based whole foods with limited grains, starches & nuts. Animal products are greatly reduced or eliminated completely,
    your choice. Oil, sugar, & flour, even whole wheat, are considered processed, along with all the usual foods we consider processed. If you are on any meds, you must work with your doctor on this type of nutrition plan because it will quickly change your body - meds might need adjusting. It's a lifestyle change, but totally do-able.
  • NovusDies
    merph518 wrote: »
    Others have mentioned it already, but there's no need to go fast.

Keep in mind that you'll see improvements in your quality of life through the entire journey to your weight goal, not just when you reach the goal weight you picked.

Keep your efforts sustainable, not fast.

Very wise comment.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    lgfrie wrote: »
    You've gotten great advice here.

In May my wife and sister started dieting, from similar weights.

My wife has been plodding along ever since, eating healthy at a moderate calorie deficit, walking, and using our water rower. Has a little piece of Dove chocolate every day and occasionally a big buttered popcorn to watch a movie. She's lost 50 pounds.

My sister said she had to lose weight FAST. Was going to crash diet and starve herself into thinness. Bought a giant supply of rice cakes and so forth. She has lost zero pounds.

Awesome comment.
  • NovusDies
    edited January 2020
    lgfrie wrote: »
    You've gotten great advice here.

In May my wife and sister started dieting, from similar weights.

My wife has been plodding along ever since, eating healthy at a moderate calorie deficit, walking, and using our water rower. Has a little piece of Dove chocolate every day and occasionally a big buttered popcorn to watch a movie. She's lost 50 pounds.

My sister said she had to lose weight FAST. Was going to crash diet and starve herself into thinness. Bought a giant supply of rice cakes and so forth. She has lost zero pounds.

Your wife understands that you keep living your life while you lose weight. Your sister will hopefully learn this lesson soon.