"TLFC" exercise and accountability support!

ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
edited October 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Welcome to the Tough Love Fitness Club or otherwise known as the TLFC! This is a SERIOUS club where members have chosen exercise to help with weight loss and eventually use it as maintenance to keep the weight off. I expect a certain format of posting so that it is easier for me to go over your workout and assess if you need to make any adjustments to make it more effective. So this is how you post a workout:

Cardio: what you did, for how long and how many calories did you burn.

Strength: what exercises performed, how many sets and how many reps per set

Assessment: how you did on your food and water, how you feel overall and any other info you want to add.

You MUST know the name of the exercises you perform. This not only makes it easy to know what you did, but gives you knowledge, how to perform it correctly and how it affects the body part it's intended to work. Here is a link to learn the exercise names:

http://bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

Just click on the body part and it will show you the exercise names and video of how to perform it correctly. Really pay attention to the form because it will help to prevent injury and also you will get the best results from correct form.

Replies

• ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    today was uneventful. 4 mile run. today was cardio day...rest from lifting. tomorrow I will do a circuit in the morning, lift heavy in the afternoon followed by some cardio.....so maybe tomorrow you will have something better to critique?!

however I am within my calories today :-)
  • ninerbuff
    today was uneventful. 4 mile run. today was cardio day...rest from lifting. tomorrow I will do a circuit in the morning, lift heavy in the afternoon followed by some cardio.....so maybe tomorrow you will have something better to critique?!

however I am within my calories today :-)
    Good enough. I think I'll put up a challenge for the month of September too.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Love this idea --

Today I did 47

Cardio: The "personal trainer" option in Your Shape: Fitness Evolved -- did this for about 25 (?) minutes. It consists of a series of knee lifts, squat-dodges, and arm and leg rhymic movements (step touches and things like that). Trying to let my shin splints heal up (sigh).

Then I did ...15 minutes of the cardio kickboxing in that game - MUCH more fun than the other which is a pretty good workout but boring. you do a lot of punching and dodging almost entirely in a squat - it was a good core workout and ok for cardio.

The 5 minutes of the "zen" workout which is tai-chi yoga.
    Total burned was 320 in about 45 minutes.

I would rather have jogged/walked but I already pushed through the pain for a couple days so I think its time to let it heal.

Assessment: Haven't finished eating yet, I'm debating another scoop of protein powder vs a clif bar or luna protein bar. More protein today wouldn't hurt (I'm at 78 grams) but blah, boring.

*edit*

Forgot I took a 25 minute walk aroudn the lake at work today - not very fast, it probably was 85 caloriesl ike MFP things.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Today was bootcamp day

Combo strength and cardio - 66 minutes, 808 calories.

Warm up - .5 mile run
    First set - .75 mile run, stopping every .1 mile or so to do the following: 10 dips, 10 pushups, 10 step ups each leg. Repeated the strength circuits 7 times.
    Second set - sprints. Jog out - about 50 yards, sprint back. Repeated 6 times.
    Stretch

Food was scent. Still working on adding more protein, dropping carbs, and fighting sodium. Water was over.
    Still under, even with my weekly treat....
  • ninerbuff
    Love this idea --

Today I did 47

Cardio: The "personal trainer" option in Your Shape: Fitness Evolved -- did this for about 25 (?) minutes. It consists of a series of knee lifts, squat-dodges, and arm and leg rhymic movements (step touches and things like that). Trying to let my shin splints heal up (sigh).

Then I did ...15 minutes of the cardio kickboxing in that game - MUCH more fun than the other which is a pretty good workout but boring. you do a lot of punching and dodging almost entirely in a squat - it was a good core workout and ok for cardio.

The 5 minutes of the "zen" workout which is tai-chi yoga.
    Total burned was 320 in about 45 minutes.

I would rather have jogged/walked but I already pushed through the pain for a couple days so I think its time to let it heal.

Assessment: Haven't finished eating yet, I'm debating another scoop of protein powder vs a clif bar or luna protein bar. More protein today wouldn't hurt (I'm at 78 grams) but blah, boring.

*edit*

Forgot I took a 25 minute walk aroudn the lake at work today - not very fast, it probably was 85 caloriesl ike MFP things.
    Sounds like you did good! Where's the strength training?
  • ninerbuff
    Today was bootcamp day

Combo strength and cardio - 66 minutes, 808 calories.

Warm up - .5 mile run
    First set - .75 mile run, stopping every .1 mile or so to do the following: 10 dips, 10 pushups, 10 step ups each leg. Repeated the strength circuits 7 times.
    Second set - sprints. Jog out - about 50 yards, sprint back. Repeated 6 times.
    Stretch

Food was scent. Still working on adding more protein, dropping carbs, and fighting sodium. Water was over.
    Still under, even with my weekly treat....
    Nice work! Like that you did sprints!
  • tameko2

Awwww you caught me. After the 45 minutes my performance shot down - I needed to eat to get anymore done. I've got personal training tomorrow so I'm just going to do 2 sets of 8 pushups, 2 sets of 8 squats with my 8 lb handweights (the only ones I own ATM), and 2 sets of 8 lunges with the weights. Might be able to do 3 of the squats and lunges, the pushups won't happen.
  • ninerbuff

Awwww you caught me. After the 45 minutes my performance shot down - I needed to eat to get anymore done. I've got personal training tomorrow so I'm just going to do 2 sets of 8 pushups, 2 sets of 8 squats with my 8 lb handweights (the only ones I own ATM), and 2 sets of 8 lunges with the weights. Might be able to do 3 of the squats and lunges, the pushups won't happen.
    Okay so tomorrow will be better! Let's see! Good job on subbing in some work though.
  • tameko2
    Stepped it up to 10 on the squats - I am the queen of squats right now. They are my favorite thing to do (I have no idea why)

*edit* I had an usually tight string of training sessions this past week (Thurs - Sat - Monday, I normally do 2 a week) and I am still feeling it in my core -- that combined with all the squat-punch-squat-punch made most of the exercises I know how to do and hav equipment for (just those 8 lb weights) much tougher. I'll try to pay good attention tomorrow to what she has me do so I can figure out some off-muscle workouts for the in between time that I want something else. Do you strength train every day?
  • ninerbuff
    Stepped it up to 10 on the squats - I am the queen of squats right now. They are my favorite thing to do (I have no idea why)

*edit* I had an usually tight string of training sessions this past week (Thurs - Sat - Monday, I normally do 2 a week) and I am still feeling it in my core -- that combined with all the squat-punch-squat-punch made most of the exercises I know how to do and hav equipment for (just those 8 lb weights) much tougher. I'll try to pay good attention tomorrow to what she has me do so I can figure out some off-muscle workouts for the in between time that I want something else. Do you strength train every day?
    Yes. You'll see it in my daily posts.
  • ninerbuff
    Hey gang

I like myself unconditionally!

Happy Thursday! New client starting today and just daughter's back to school night for parents. Also will mow the lawn today because trash day is tomorrow. Gonna be a hot one here in the Tri Valley!

So let's make this month a CHALLENGE month! SEPTEMBER SLIM DOWN! Men go for 5 lbs weight loss and Females go for 3-5lbs weight loss! Here's my start weight:

Start- 184lbs

Let's get this done and be accountable everyday!

Cardio: stair climbing- Tabata protocol (280 calories), walk/jog- 2 mi (280 calories)

Strength: hamstring and shoulders- seated leg curls, stiff legged deadlifts, shoulder press, side laterals, bent over laterals. 3x8-10

Assessment: I had some frozen yogurt yesterday, but no effect on weight.
  • ninerbuff
    bump
  • Javajunkie67
    Javajunkie67 Posts: 167 Member
    I'd love some feed back!

Yesterday:
    Incline pushups (8 ") 2x10
    Side Lats, bent Lats, skull crushers, kickbacks, and bicep curls 12 lbs 2x8
    Lunges and squats and good mornings 18 lbs 2x15 (lunges were each side)
    Overhead press. 18 lbs 2x10
    I don't have any more weight to add right now, maybe for a while.

Cardio
    3 rounds of a hybrid I've made from p90s kicks and punches. 38 minutes that usually gets me in a good sweat.

Assessment:
    Food was pretty good. Sodium was way over, I made hibachi style dinner at home. I never eat all my exercise calories. I tried to once - felt sick and over full the whole next day.
    My upper body strength is worse than I'd like to hit. My legs are strong, but have to much fat on them, pear shaped.

Thanks in advance!
  • Javajunkie67
    Bump
  • ninerbuff
    I'd love some feed back!

Yesterday:
    Incline pushups (8 ") 2x10
    Side Lats, bent Lats, skull crushers, kickbacks, and bicep curls 12 lbs 2x8
    Lunges and squats and good mornings 18 lbs 2x15 (lunges were each side)
    Overhead press. 18 lbs 2x10
    I don't have any more weight to add right now, maybe for a while.

Cardio
    3 rounds of a hybrid I've made from p90s kicks and punches. 38 minutes that usually gets me in a good sweat.

Assessment:
    Food was pretty good. Sodium was way over, I made hibachi style dinner at home. I never eat all my exercise calories. I tried to once - felt sick and over full the whole next day.
    My upper body strength is worse than I'd like to hit. My legs are strong, but have to much fat on them, pear shaped.

Thanks in advance!
    Try adding in a back exercise. Usually any "row" of some sort. If you're getting results then by all means keep doing what you're doing.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    This morning at 8:30 I did a Muscle Confusion class for 60 minutes which includes weights (8lb dumbbells) with plyometric moves ...ie: lunges with a shoulder press or squats with a bicep curl. Lots of ab work, pushups, jumping jacks, jumps in general. The class mixes strength moves with cardio.

This afternoon at 4:30 I lifted weight! Lateral pull downs, front lateral raises, bicep curls, chest press, step ups with 15 lb kettle bells, tricep press downs, dumbbell lateral raises. 3 sets of 12-15

I am well within my calories today so chose not to do cardio after word since i did it this morning.
  • Javajunkie67
    Today was an off day and I try to always use it clean. not usually as much as today.

To make it interesting ( lets face it-cleaning is booooring) I made myself take way more trips into other rooms and up/down the stairs to put things away. Almost done, just the kitchen floor left to mop!

I'm within calories so far, but that might change. The taqueria has been calling my name all week.