General Discussion

merph518
merph518 Posts: 702 Member
edited December 2019 in Social Groups
I've noticed that we have started using the intro thread for general discussion lately -- let's do it here instead! That way we're not discouraging new members from posting intros.

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Never hurts to have another thread.

I think the lack of new intros is because of the holidays. I haven't been posting as much and I also have not seen as many people to invite. I suspect a lot of people are waiting now until after the New Year to begin anything.

I am hoping this woman will join us:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/44476797#Comment_44476797

It takes something that I never had to be thinking of starting a weight loss effort with Christmas right around the corner. I think we can help her. Sometimes the first chapter of the story is just surviving and that will be tougher with the holidays coming. I should have @tagged her there.
  • jlucas210
    jlucas210 Posts: 43 Member
    edited December 2019
    Hi everyone! Sorry, I've been another that's been MIA for a while. It has been a busy few months with tax deadlines, tax planning, work trips & holidays. I've read every single post during that time, so I felt like I was still an active part of the group until I realized that I hadn't actually said anything in a long time. I always planned to reply/post, but never actually made it all the way through typing something. With all of the travel, my loss had slowed, but continued. I'm down 38 lbs since I started in mid June. I've been logging, but I can tell by my spreadsheet (which really needs to be redone) that I've had to guess a lot on the foods when away from home. Slow can be frustrating, but I'm just happy to be trending downward. I recently clicked the button to update my MFP daily calorie allowance with the losses (only the 3rd time I've done that - edited because I can't count). I continue to be surprised at how much it drops (started at 1550, then 1430, then 1390, now 1340). At this rate, I'll be at 1200 before it's time to drop the rate of loss. It's not overly difficult (outside of traveling & eating out a lot), just surprising. I also need to start working on my activity & some resistance/weight training, but haven't figured out a plan for that quite yet.

So, I'm still here & plugging along & I really appreciate everyone's posts! I look forward to reading them & will try to do a much better job of chiming in!
  • merph518
    Don't let your calorie budget get too low @jlucas210. I'm assuming you have it set to 2lbs / week loss to get that low of a budget. You might want to tone that down some.
  • jlucas210
    I know, but I still have 126 to lose! I was hoping to stay on 2 lbs a week for at least another 50+ lbs. If it starts feeling too difficult/restrictive, I'll adjust it & hopefully when I increase my activity, that will help some, too. I was more surprised than anything on how much it dropped without changing anything but my current weight.
  • NovusDies
    jlucas210 wrote: »
    I know, but I still have 126 to lose! I was hoping to stay on 2 lbs a week for at least another 50+ lbs. If it starts feeling too difficult/restrictive, I'll adjust it & hopefully when I increase my activity, that will help some, too. I was more surprised than anything on how much it dropped without changing anything but my current weight.

@jlucas210

You might want to give this a read if you have not read it already:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

If it were not for improving my own NEAT my calorie budget would have been a minimum levels by the time I got down near goal. Mine has bumped 350 when I was able to track it. Right now it is probably higher but I am having a hard time evaluating since the surgery.
  • jlucas210
    @NovusDies Yes! That was a great thread! I have read that one & several like it & have actually implemented several of those suggestions. I think I need more time in my normal routine to get some accurate data... I feel like that data from select weeks over the last few months (mainly those while traveling or eating foods I had to guess at the calorie amounts) are pretty much crap. The numbers I gave above are before any adjustment for exercise/additional activity. I was just surprised how low that base number has gone when I still have so much to go. I really thought that the formulas wouldn't be as low at my height (5' 4.5"). I know I'm not tall, but I'm not really petite either.

So far, I'm not discouraged by it or having trouble the days I can accurately log my food. If anything, it helped me learn that I can relax when on vacation/work trips, log the best I can & still trend downward. That reassurance helps. The next 3 weeks should be fairly normal, then almost 2 weeks of travel, then I'll be in tax season. I'll be working a ton of hours, but very much back in my "normal" routine until April (as long as I survive the massive amounts of food brought into the office during tax season!).
  • tiffany80802017
    tiffany80802017 Posts: 92 Member
    @jlucas210 I’m kind of going through the same thing - CICO and calculated rates don’t add up to loss, and kcal suggestion might be too low (Im also on the short side with a sedentary job). I recently changed my kcal goal from 1200 to mid 1300s. I track a lot of data so will be interesting to see impact, if any, on loss rate.

I’ve been sick past 2 weeks and did lose more weight than prior weeks, which I think is due to increased BMR. I’m actually eating more because I’m sick and exercising slightly less, but still at least 60 mins a day. I would much rather lose weight slower than have a cold/flu for weeks-ugh! But for the purpose of looking at data/figuring out trends it’s kind of hard to discern what change is driving increase in weight loss.

Thanks for posting the link to that thread @NovusDies Agree it’s pretty awesome!
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    I've realized that I need to walk if I want my weightloss to be maximised. I've changed my exercise routine recently and included a range of other activities but my losses are always better when I include more walking. It's possible that my NEAT goes down when I do something else (squash/tennis) as I do get tired and my knees get sore. I'm going to track this more closely and see how my steps reduce/increase when I play squash rather than walk. If they do decrease then I know that's my problem. Otherwise it could be water retention etc with new/different exercise and I'll need to monitor that. I started off losing well with no intentional exercise but it's always better mentally for me when I'm active.
  • NovusDies
    maiomaio71 wrote: »
    I've realized that I need to walk if I want my weightloss to be maximised. I've changed my exercise routine recently and included a range of other activities but my losses are always better when I include more walking. It's possible that my NEAT goes down when I do something else (squash/tennis) as I do get tired and my knees get sore. I'm going to track this more closely and see how my steps reduce/increase when I play squash rather than walk. If they do decrease then I know that's my problem. Otherwise it could be water retention etc with new/different exercise and I'll need to monitor that. I started off losing well with no intentional exercise but it's always better mentally for me when I'm active.

Activity is tricky. Right now I am outside walking most days for over an hour (usually 20 minutes in the morning and 40 in the evening). I can do more on the weekends but I am afraid if I add much more during the week it will begin to negatively impact my life balance. I am getting somewhat comfortable with 45 minutes on the elliptical but unlike walking I am not fond of doing it which makes me never eager to do more. The good thing is that I can get up early and do it so it has no impact on my schedule. I will have to keep working at making it come together.

I am also very protective of my NEAT. Right now I am getting almost the same amount of steps just going about my day that I get doing intentional exercise. The difference is I don't feel like I am putting in much effort to get them so they are easy way to increase my energy expenditure. There have been plenty of days where soreness from exercise has negatively impacted them but that should only be an intermittent and temporary problem.

While we should only focus on exercise and activity for fitness it would be naive to ignore that adding calories does not make weight management a little easier. We just have to keep it all straight so we do not end up with disordered thinking about killing ourselves with exercise JUST to eat more or just to pay back calories already eaten. I like my 80/20 rule here too. 80 percent for fitness and 20 percent for calories.

• maiomaio71
    The new school year is about to begin so I'm finding I'm sitting working a lot more than I was a few weeks ago. I have a load of planning and writing to do. My NEAT is definitely suffering. My goal for the next two weeks is to use my standing desk as much as possible.
  • merph518
    I've been struggling to get back into my old (good) habits for the past couple weeks. Thankfully it's just my eating that's off and not off by too much... I'm still eating around maintenance due to getting too snacky in the evenings.
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    merph518 wrote: »
    I've been struggling to get back into my old (good) habits for the past couple weeks. Thankfully it's just my eating that's off and not off by too much... I'm still eating around maintenance due to getting too snacky in the evenings.

Getting back on track can be rough. One thing that helped me this last break was to gradually lower the calories back to where I wanted. It's the smaller baby steps approach instead of dropping 1k in calories all at once. Week one the goal was to lose a half to a full pound plus get back to weighing and tracking properly, then a full pound to a pound and half, and now it's up to to two pounds a week. I'm still was far from perfect, though I never have been, but it's made it easier to get back to where I want calorie wise. I hope this helps and hang in there.
  • merph518
    Thanks @ConfidentRaven. That's pretty much what I've been trying to do -- just flip the switch and go right back to my old deficit. I'll try taking it a little slower and see how that goes.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member

I'd also maybe give some thought as to why snacking in the evenings is a thing taking you out of a deficit, might just need to tweak your schedule or frequency like eating dinner a little later or planning in for snack.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member

I'd also maybe give some thought as to why snacking in the evenings is a thing taking you out of a deficit, might just need to tweak your schedule or frequency like eating dinner a little later or planning in for snack.

I seemed to go mad over new year, after a good xmas, then struggled to get back to it too.
    I purged the house and anything that would derail me I either ate it (you can only wat it once) or gave it away then went "proper" shopping and planned a week of menus.
    So far this week I've been fine and I'm getting my enthusiasm back.
    I was evening snacking because it was there, it wasnt hunger it was greed.
  • NovusDies
    Thanks @ConfidentRaven. That's pretty much what I've been trying to do -- just flip the switch and go right back to my old deficit. I'll try taking it a little slower and see how that goes.

I went the other direction. I have restricted snack food for a couple of weeks to break my own habit of evening calorie creeping. I do allow a bowl of popcorn on the weekend. I have learned that I can do that for short bursts of time (3 weeks or so) to try an unlearn habits that form when I am more relaxed.

I am not suggesting that as a method for you to try. I am always in favor of transitioning slower when possible. I just seem be the type that has to shut the door completely if I want to go back to opening it just a crack. As long as my foot is in the door when I seem to be having trouble moderating I can't seem to get a handle on it. None of it was way out of control but you know if you do not leave calories and you snack up 350-500 too often it is irritating and it hurts progress. I think it is the irritation that gets me faster.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I plan snacks for every day...I usually skip or have a very light breakfast...I eat a light lunch and a heavier dinner...in between and at night I like my snacks...I was eating popcorn at night but I hate the kernels in my teeth!...I usually have Chobani flip yogurt,Sargento snacks, fruit or some laughing cow cheese and a few wheat thins...Nature Valley bars are good, too...I was eating everything over the holidays and my weight was all over the place...I was bloated,tired and uncomfortable but I kept stuffing it in...I had not planned on overeating thru the holidays and that was an error on my part...I should have rethought a lot of things I did that were not productive to eating healthier...I have gotten back on track and now I am at my lowest weight so far...hoping to have hit 60 lbs off by Feb 1.... I do not think I could have done this without the support of so many of you in this group...some of your weight losses are truly amazing!...your increase in exercise is inspiring...I will always be thankful I found this group of people !...every day is another step forward toward my goal of losing weight....it’s never too late but I wish I had done this 40 years ago!
  • maiomaio71
    Congratulations @conniewilkins56 . I've bitten the bullet and joined the gym. Have an assessment next Wednesday. They have an infinity pool where I can swim with no-one watching ( hopefully my eczema behaves) , yoga at times that suit, and free new programs every 6 weeks. So I'm going to start strength training, swimming and expanding my yoga repertoire. It's close enough that I can walk there and back. I'm planning initially on going just 3x a week and seeing how it all fits in with my schedule. I'm hoping I can walk there, do some weights or swim and walk home in about the same time I would normally go for a walk. The other days I'll carry on walking. My plan this year is to get rid of another 20kg.