Large stomach

What really works to loose my large stomach? I have a 41" waist and weigh 178 lbs.

Replies

• tomburkersr
    tomburkersr Posts: 2 Member
    A lot of times, belly fat (visceral fat) can be attributed to an excess of carbs. Not to say that this is always the case, but try adjusting your carb intake downward for a couple of weeks to see what happens. This is where the term "beer belly" comes from - an excessive intake of empty carbs urging fat storage around the organs.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    you can do exercise , weight training, cutting carbs, what have you till the sun don't shine, but the ONLY way to tackle the bulge is through consistent calorie counting and staying at a calorie deficit... Don't get me wrong, exercise is important for health and body, but portion control is more imortant for weight control.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    wandlk wrote: »
    What really works to loose my large stomach? I have a 41" waist and weigh 178 lbs.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1 :drinker:
  • As I have been losing weight, I notice that the losses tend to go from extremities in; right now, having just kicked it into gear again, my jeans have first loosened in the thighs. Then they'll loosen in the back and then in the waist. Things will hold steady a bit, once I go down a size, and then they'll get loose in the thighs....

So for me, at least, belly fat is the last to go as the rest of it goes. But it's not like you can lose weight in just one spot and not another.
  • FoodBodyChanges
    FoodBodyChanges Posts: 29 Member
    If it's fat, creating a calorie deficit and work your core - a strong core holds the guts in like a girdle. But if it's fluid accumulation from a disease process, check with your doctor. You may be able to reduce it somewhat with a proper diet and medications.
  • emmabrookes1
    emmabrookes1 Posts: 67 Member
    How tall are you?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    wandlk wrote: »

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1 :drinker:

That^^ Read it, live it, love it. ;)
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    A lot of times, belly fat (visceral fat) can be attributed to an excess of carbs. Not to say that this is always the case, but try adjusting your carb intake downward for a couple of weeks to see what happens. This is where the term "beer belly" comes from - an excessive intake of empty carbs urging fat storage around the organs.

Sure, in the same way I can attribute my bank account lacking money to how much I spent on shoes, even if I have a car payment far larger. Fat is the result of an excess calories, of which carbohydrate intake is one form. If you want to get super into the physiology, sure, the particular carbohydrate fructose has a tendency to produce more liver fat than other sources, when taken in ludicrous amounts during a surplus, but it doesn't matter when calories are balanced, and really doesn't when calories are in a deficit.

Also, beer primarily has calories from the alcohol. Alcohol is not a carbohydrate.