Weights are so intimidating to me...

probably because I haven't really worked with them. Is there a site you recommend to give me the how-to's on these? I want to make sure I do them properly.

I plan on doing free weights and weight machines.

TIA <3

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited January 2020
    There really isn't a standard exercise or lift that where you can't find a dozen youtube videos that show how to properly do that exercise/lift. Use the mirrors in the gym to check your form. If the idea of youtube videos isn't your thing you can just google the exercise and there will be step by step guides on proper form.

It's also just as important that you follow a structured program. There is a sticky on this sub-forum with a listing of these programs. Haphazardly wandering about a gym and doing a set here and there will get you absolutely nowhere.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    bodybuilding.com has a video library so you can check the form that you will need.

Actually, that website may have a quite a few articles for you about getting started.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    1. Find a partner, even if they're also inexperienced. Things are always less intimidating when you do them with a friend.
    2. Pay a personal trainer for a couple of sessions just to have them show you the correct form and how to use the machines you're interested in
    3. If it's a big gym most have personal trainers wandering around. They're usually friendly and are willing to spend a few minutes showing you how to use machines or to help you with form. Just remember most don't get paid for that. They're usually there to try and get people to buy sessions, so if you need a lot of help do them a favor and see #2 above.

• giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    bodybuilding.com has a video library so you can check the form that you will need.

Actually, that website may have a quite a few articles for you about getting started.

The bodybuilding library is awesome!
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    Are you looking for a beginners program? Stronglifts is a good one, IMO. They have a very informative website and a great (free) app, too.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    edited January 2020
    If you've never really lifted and are a bit intimidated you may want to start for a few weeks with just the machines to get the feel of the gym, see what goes on, what trainers seem good if you would like to go that way, etc.

I'm a big proponent of free weights and personally don't really use machines but it may help you get a bit of confidence, get over the intimidation.

Best of luck.
  • dallsop417
    dallsop417 Posts: 1,031 Member
    probably because I haven't really worked with them. Is there a site you recommend to give me the how-to's on these? I want to make sure I do them properly.

TIA <3

There’s an app called “strong” where it gives a workout plan and has an animated demo of each exercise to show you how to do it properly and exactly what muscles it works on.
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Technique comes before weight when you are starting out. Start with the two basic major compounds which are the squat and deadlift with only the barbell.

You won't be overwhelmed by too many machine or cable exercises and you will develop a strong foundation which will transfer to other exercises while developing your glutes, quadriceps and hamstrings from squats and deadlidts.

Once you are confident with the squat and deadlift 2-3 times a week at 3 x 5 per session, you can start, you can start adding accessory exercises to your routine.
  • OP I totally agree weights are intimidating. I’ve been training for 3 years and I still find barbell squats a bit scary. And bench press.

If it all feels a bit overwhelming I would start with a really simple programme like stronglifts. You just have to learn 3 lifts on that programme. The website is pretty goood. It may not be the absolute best programme out there but I think it’s good as an introduction and it has just the right amount of info.

• i_fraser11
    i_fraser11 Posts: 35 Member
    Everyone starts somewhere. And tbh, most people are only interested in themselves when lifting. You shouldn’t focus on others. Just get in there and get some.💪🏻
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    I started with New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Curves. Took 3-5 sessions with a trainer for him to show me how to do my program (so not whatever the trainer wanted to make up—I wanted to be shown the lifts I would be doing and have my form corrected). Looked up anything new in the bodybuilding.com archive.

So my suggestion is find a program and either try a few sessions with a trainer and/or start out light so you can get the form down. Put on some motivating music and just pay attn to yourself. Seriously, just look at your book or phone when resting and yourself in the mirror (when appropriate for the lift). That’s what everyone else is doing anyway!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

TIA <3

I think a good place to start is with the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a good read and a decent enough program to get started with. It will tell you what you're doing, how to do it, and why you're doing it. My wife started with this book years ago and she found it very informative and took the fear out of the weight room.