Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Over the years, I’ve learned to “let go” of comparing myself to people, especially people who were never obese.

I think it’s important for us to acknowledge how far we’ve come & to compare ourselves only to *who we were yesterday* rather than other people or celebrities, etc. 💪🤩🌟

Since doing this, I’ve been sooo much happier. Focusing on being the best version of *me*, not someone else. 🥰💕

MAN oh MAN! If I could jump thru the screen and hug you...I super would!!!
    THIS, what you have chosen/decided and are thinking/doing/being is a super mega HUGE break-thru and WIN.
    This "business" of comparing ourselves amongst ourselves is so unwise AND the stuff ALL YUCK in our lives begins with. Comparing ourselves with others brings a lot of things we never think of to/for ourselves. Stuff like envying, self-deception/being fake--living in unreality, hopelessness, coveting, anger, depression, bitterness and all kinds of ugly vile YUCK, WOE and UGH. I am so HAPPY for you, mere words can NOT fully described. THANK YOU ever so very much for this post--you sheer unadulterated champion super star you--big BOOM with a dash of BAM!

{{{{ <3 Super Hugs and the highest of fives to/for you <3 }}}}}}

Oh my goodness, you are sooo wonderfully uplifting!!!!! 😍😍😍😍😍 thank youuuu sooo much!!! Your words were exactly what I needed to hear!!!! Thank you, again!!! BIG hugs!!!! 💖🌟✨💕

You are MORE than welcomed THANK YOU too...WINNER! o:)<3o:)
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Decluttered the boot of my car today (I decluttered, aka, emptied, the main part of the car last month after a lovely local career criminal broke into my car, left the valuable stuff and stole an out of date first aid kit - I decided that there would be nothing left in my car for her to steal should she decide to break into it again ).

Amazing what you find when going through stuff. I found a used wiper blade. A USED wiper blade. Absolutely useless as it was split. Why on earth I kept it, I have no idea. But it's gone now, along with the wiper blade I needed to replace today.

The boot of my car is now pristine and the stuff in it is relevant instead of being jetsam.

Also decluttered the junk that had accumulated on my laptop. And there was a lot of junk - pens, coins, receipts, messages of live from my little girl (kept all of these as they bring me pleasure).
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Absolutely. Once I started I just couldn't quit. I worked my head off from 6 am - 9 pm for 40 days and 40 nights. I cleaned every closet, nook and cranny. I gave all of my clothes away, the really old ones went into the bin. I had all sizes of clothing but the best thing I did was letting everything gooooo. I threw all of my dieting books with companion cookbooks into the trash, too. Good riddance. I haven't missed any of that multi-cr@p one single day and I'm not dragging any more of it back in here. No more garage sales or here you go...maybe you have a use for this and sigh, I take it. No. The end.

You were really ambitious and dedicated!!! Good for you!

I was thinking of getting rid of some cookbooks and binders with recipes as well. Not because they are "diet" stuff, but because I know that I will never use them again (not that use them much in the past either ;) ). I don't like cooking so all my meals are very simple, and I am constantly editing recipes that I already made; no need to have things that I don't need.

I would like to know how to pass those recipes to other people rather than just toss them in the garbage. Cook books can go to the library, but what about those papers recipes that we some time clip for "tomorrow."

Anybody has an y suggestion?
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    I threw away 4 bags of Candy/Harvest Corn. I have no issue eating past expiration date food but these have been sitting in the pantry for 1 1/2 years. I feel guilty throwing it away but ill tell myself that it's not food, it's junk.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited January 2020
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

Why not put them on a blog and recycle the paper ones?

I have boxes and boxes full of artwork that my children have produced over the years. My seven-year old probably produces ten new drawings a DAY (despite digital methods being available to her, she prefers to be able to physically give her drawings to people). That's a lot of artwork. I'm going to photograph each piece and then recycle the pictures. The images give me a lot of pleasure, the volume of paper doesn't.

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited January 2020
    A famous bodybuilder (Jay Cutler) once said to rid your life of people places and things that hold you back. I have started to do just that. I have turned off Facebook, Instagram and twitter. I have also cut negative people out as well. He said when he was training for the Mr. Olympia and someone would call him about negative *kitten* he would hang up on them.... great read...

Absolutely! That said, it's also super ultra important to KNOW and REALIZE and BELIEVE that we have to UNDERSTAND/ACCEPT that "negative" people, places and things will ALWAYS be all around us, all the days of our lives. Be they sociopath, psychopaths, narcissists, wicked rascal and rascalettes and/or just plain "spoiled brats" and
    people/places and things that are just ughish, yuckish and woe-is-me-ish...we MUST count it/them ALL joy and see/look at it/them as a type of "exercise equipment" to help build up our patience, mental/spiritual muscles and to ever be learning to handle them with the POWER of grace and I mean business love and boldness, period.

We MUST see people, places and things that work our nerve something fierce as challenges to help us overcome anger, wrath, impatience and YUCK. So, when one throws down the gauntlet of "I see you" and I'm no longer going to be a doormat or "toilet" for you to dump on another second. Doing it with real LOVE (not hollywood, T.V., music and "fantasy" love, but REAL love that is ready, willing and able to get rid of/no longer play the game, no longer be an enabler, no longer putting up with what hurts and destroys you, your heart and mind--guarding your heart/mind with ALL diligence and letting your YES be YES and your NO be NO, period. So...long story short 2 legged monsters can actually HELP us to become stronger and stronger in overcoming confusion (by ONLY accepting what's TRUE and RIGHT AND RIGHTEOUS), REFUSING to feel sorry for oneself NOR the person. Walking/Living/THINKING in a way that truly embraces what is good to/for you and what's not. If the said person, place or thing is NOT GOOD for you (or you for them). Disconnecting your mind, body and soul from them...period.

When...NOT if, but when the "pain/heartache" of "missing them" etc comes up--TELL YOURSELF/REMIND yourself that you are believing a lie/a myth/a fantasy and refuse to "entertain" those thoughts again...with the truth!

Like weight blastification, decluttering lifestyle...it's going to take some folk more time that others--it may never be an "I've arrived" but a beautiful place of I might not have "arrived" yet--but I've LEFT the place where I was. That's the beginning to the end of mess, woe and yuck. Lastly, we all have a "treasure" called time...ALWAYS live and think like tomorrow is NOT promised to us and this may be our last day on this earth--so make the MOST of it. When you think this way, it will help to to realize how much time you've WASTED on said person, place or thing and move you into a better and more productive place in your head, heart and life.

ETA: Practice makes "BETTER" not PERFECT...as we practice dealing with negative people, places and things with sheer unadulterated "Nope, not going there anymore, period--because I have CHOICE of who/what I allow in my "space" in my mind/heart and life. I can check a person, place or thing with utter REAL love and real POWER and a REAL sound mind. I don't have to be a "fool/act crazy/get all yuck" to "get rid" of stuff (people/places/things). I don't have to go along to get along, period--neither do you! Making myself no longer believe everything I think is true, but examining closely the people, places and things I'M ALLOWING IN MY LIFE--It's a CHOICE, it really is!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    Awww man i let my decluttering go on hiatus when I had my.shiukder surgery
    Now I'm doing better I need to get back at it.
    Over the holidays we had to replace our furnace so we have stuff piled everywhere. I need to get organizing my spare room which is becoming the storage room. Can't wait to get shelves and everything organized!!!!

Waving and joyfilled {{{{ Hi and Hugs }}}} Ali! I'm so GLAD your surgery went well and your doing better. Cheering you on to meet your vision/goals--YAY YOU!

Absolutely. Once I started I just couldn't quit. I worked my head off from 6 am - 9 pm for 40 days and 40 nights. I cleaned every closet, nook and cranny. I gave all of my clothes away, the really old ones went into the bin. I had all sizes of clothing but the best thing I did was letting everything gooooo. I threw all of my dieting books with companion cookbooks into the trash, too. Good riddance. I haven't missed any of that multi-cr@p one single day and I'm not dragging any more of it back in here. No more garage sales or here you go...maybe you have a use for this and sigh, I take it. No. The end.

I was thinking of getting rid of some cookbooks and binders with recipes as well. Not because they are "diet" stuff, but because I know that I will never use them again (not that use them much in the past either ;) ). I don't like cooking so all my meals are very simple, and I am constantly editing recipes that I already made; no need to have things that I don't need.

I would like to know how to pass those recipes to other people rather than just toss them in the garbage. Cook books can go to the library, but what about those papers recipes that we some time clip for "tomorrow."

Hi G!
    Take a deep breath, then...toss em. I promise you won't miss them one wit.

Decluttered the boot of my car today (I decluttered, aka, emptied, the main part of the car last month after a lovely local career criminal broke into my car, left the valuable stuff and stole an out of date first aid kit - I decided that there would be nothing left in my car for her to steal should she decide to break into it again ).

Amazing what you find when going through stuff. I found a used wiper blade. A USED wiper blade. Absolutely useless as it was split. Why on earth I kept it, I have no idea. But it's gone now, along with the wiper blade I needed to replace today.

The boot of my car is now pristine and the stuff in it is relevant instead of being jetsam.

Also decluttered the junk that had accumulated on my laptop. And there was a lot of junk - pens, coins, receipts, messages of live from my little girl (kept all of these as they bring me pleasure).

Well done, WELL DONE and YAY!
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    I threw away 4 bags of Candy/Harvest Corn. I have no issue eating past expiration date food but these have been sitting in the pantry for 1 1/2 years. I feel guilty throwing it away but ill tell myself that it's not food, it's junk.

Cheering you on Lovely Char and thank you so much for contributing to this thread!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Annie42019 wrote: »
    3 years before I started my weight loss journey I started my declutering one. Here are the rules I now live by:

Paper is the enemy of clean. The less paper I allow in my house the cleaner it is. I don't get paoer bank statements anymore. I deal with all my mail immediately and recycle everything possible. I read the news online only.

A place for everything and everything it's place. I of course had heard of this phrase but I never really understood it. Now I do. When you know where something goes you are much more likely to put it away.

The container is the limit ( this is from A slob comes clean...a favorite blog). The idea is this. If you have a container for say, toys and it's full, it's time to get rid of some toys. If your container is really too small you can adjust but once you have a reasonably sized one that's it.

The closet is a container. See above.

Do the dishes ( either by hand or dishwasher ) every day. This more than anything else will help keep a neat kitchen. ( again via A slob comes clean).

I also realized the following: The cleaner my house is, the cleaner my house is. Sounds like a tautology but it’s not. What I mean is that I found when I'm keeping my house clean I'm much more likely to keep it that way because any mess stands out. When the counters were a mess, one more thing would hardly be noticed. When they are clear of stuff anything out of place stands out and there's more motivation to clean it. I also call it " clean begets clean"

My success on my cleaning journey was one of the things that made me realize I could be successful on a weight loss one.

Hi Annie and {{{{ <3 Super HUGS and The Highest of Fives to/for YOU <3 }}}}} Thank you ever so VERY much for your most excellent and doable HUGE contribution to this thread. What you have wriiten/done is so super helpful, inspirational and wonderful. You rock, period.

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Over the holidays we had to replace our furnace so we have stuff piled everywhere. I need to get organizing my spare room which is becoming the storage room. Can't wait to get shelves and everything organized!!!!

Waving and joyfilled {{{{ Hi and Hugs }}}} Ali! I'm so GLAD your surgery went well and your doing better. Cheering you on to meet your vision/goals--YAY YOU!

Hi G!

Cheering you on Lovely Char and thank you so much for contributing to this thread!

I love this...thank you. I love what you wrote to JohnnysFitness and I love what he wrote. You're inspirational and motivating; I need it, so thank you again!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME

Hi G!

I love this...thank you. I love what you wrote to JohnnysFitness and I love what he wrote. You're inspirational and motivating; I need it, so thank you again!

My absolute pleasure and honor {{{{ o:) Hugs again o:) }}}}

tumblr_p2wag5u61k1qc4uvwo1_540.gif
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited January 2020
    EliseTK1 wrote: »
    This thread is AMAZING!!!! My husband and I are currently preparing to move into a new house, so we've been slowly organizing and packing up our home. I have thrown out and/or donated so much stuff, and OP- you were right on the money in saying that it is SO FREEING.

The thing I am struggling most with letting go of is unnecessary and unproductive guilt. It is so ingrained in me (and in many women I think) to always give, to be humble and selfless, to not cause a scene, to smooth things over when they're getting heated, to act as if we are grateful for everything and never push back when we deserve more. I certainly don't act like a doormat all the time, but I often feel guilty making the decisions that are best for me when I know other people won't like them. It weighs on me for no good reason.

As I get rid of a multitude of physical things, I am letting go of that mental garbage as well. I don't need it.

Super YAY YOU for your decluttering...decluttering is the stuff tough peeps are made of, because for a LOT of people, it doesn't come "natural or easy"...so BOOM! I LOVE what you wrote about "letting go (and NOT LOOKING BACK--that's super important) of the mental "garbage" (because that's exactly what it is...GARBAGE), for you to add that "I don't need it" is everything honey--You ROCK, period. o:)<3o:)

When/AS you start "entertaining and believing" the thoughts you have about "feeling guilty" of loving and taking care of yourself and doing what's good and right for you (instead of going along to get along). Tell yourself (ALL THE TIME, like decluttering/weight blastification--this is a new lifestyle, something you must do DAILY and maintain/DAILY) you are CHOOSING to believe a lie, a myth, A FANTASY. Then tell yourself THE TRUTH of the matter, then kick the lies to the curb and embrace the truth and do whatcha gotta do to "be the boss of you". Don't expect cheers and smiles and pats on the back for choosing LIFE/JOY and F~R~E~E~D~O~M over YUCK. When you choose to be/do right and righteously (all the time/daily)...a LOT of peeps aint going like it--AT ALL, so also with telling yourself the TRUTH all the time and REJECTING the lies you tell yourself...TREAT LYING SELF TALK/THOUGHTS like the enemies they truly are--also embrace the POWERFUL and FREEING way of life of "so what" spirit/attitude. Example:
    "self-talk": They won't speak to me anymore if I choose to no longer put up with (fill in the blank) IMMEDIATELY countering those thoughts with Telling yourself (and believing) "SO WHAT" is like decluttering on steroids. No longer being a people pleaser, No longer ALLOWING yourself to be wallowing in "FALSE-guilt and fear" is so WONDERFUL...it really is!

As hard as we try, we simply and truly just can not please everyone all the time...what's the solution to this????? SO WHAT! Now we MUST NOT take on/be nasty/evil/bitter nor any such YUCK, train yourself to have a SO WHAT attitude about this false guilt and woe with the finesse, REAL love (of yourself and them) and sheer unadulterated I'm a GROWN woman and I get to CHOOSE how I think/act/behave/live. Again, there is absolutely no need to be nasty/mean with your SO WHAT at all. Like the old saying goes:

"“You cannot keep birds from flying over your head
    but you can keep them from building a nest in your hair”"

{{{{ <3 Big HUGS and HIGH Fives <3 }}}}}} It took time to think and live the way we/you do and it's going to take some time to learn to embrace doing what YOU NEED to do as well. As you "practice" SO WHAT"...girl--it's gonna to also be as freeing as decluttering and weight blastification is.
  • bsmaltz2
    bsmaltz2 Posts: 9 Member
    Well, I have been thinking about going through some of the drawers in my bedroom. The sock drawer is a hot mess and I waste time digging around looking for what I want. Time to purge!
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Decluttering "operations" for the next few/SEVERAL weeks:

1.) re-organizing slimming down my perfumes and bath products and "pretty-fying" those areas.

2.) now that my closet is much more empty, making it cuter and designing/"pretty-fying" some kind of area for my shoes

3.) cleaning the shutters in ALL the rooms

4.) getting rid of more books to make a dedicated/lovely looking but practical space for my candles and incense.

5.) start selling some stuff. I been telling myself for a LONG time, that I don't like/HATE to sell stuff, because it's a PITA (pain in the "attitude") I've talked myself into just giving stuff away or tossing it. This is/will be a BIG ONE for me. I'm going to humble myself and DO IT!

6.) I super decluttered the attic last year, but there is still more I can get rid of.

7.) de-clutter the kitchen pantry once more

8.) slim down my fur-baby's toy & stuff collection...stuff it doesn't play with and is just collecting dust and taking up space.

#2 DONE and looking marvelous, nothing looks or feel so terrific as good looking and practical spaces and places--YAY and it was a LOT more work than I thought...So GLAD it's done--BOOM!
    [/quote]

any pictures?
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    cory17 wrote: »
    Decluttering "operations" for the next few/SEVERAL weeks:

1.) re-organizing slimming down my perfumes and bath products and "pretty-fying" those areas.

2.) now that my closet is much more empty, making it cuter and designing/"pretty-fying" some kind of area for my shoes

3.) cleaning the shutters in ALL the rooms

4.) getting rid of more books to make a dedicated/lovely looking but practical space for my candles and incense.

5.) start selling some stuff. I been telling myself for a LONG time, that I don't like/HATE to sell stuff, because it's a PITA (pain in the "attitude") I've talked myself into just giving stuff away or tossing it. This is/will be a BIG ONE for me. I'm going to humble myself and DO IT!

6.) I super decluttered the attic last year, but there is still more I can get rid of.

7.) de-clutter the kitchen pantry once more

8.) slim down my fur-baby's toy & stuff collection...stuff it doesn't play with and is just collecting dust and taking up space.

#2 DONE and looking marvelous, nothing looks or feel so terrific as good looking and practical spaces and places--YAY and it was a LOT more work than I thought...So GLAD it's done--BOOM!

any pictures?

It looks like a combo of these closets...only maybe a wee bit BETTER (because I put my heart and sweat into it and the wicker baskets I have are GORGEOUS) o:) All of my clothes, shoes and handbags are color coordinated and the IKEA shoe rack hold 18 pairs of shoes--I LOVE it so much!

5drp78lp6sbz.jpg

a3uxbwred3vn.jpg

vdkqwaw9kli5.jpg

w4egeo3w3mjz.jpg

w2arq98c1lp3.jpg

omiwtialjuqd.jpg

y0c0g6bv80vd.jpg

mlzjikymksoj.jpg

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited January 2020
    bsmaltz2 wrote: »
    Well, I have been thinking about going through some of the drawers in my bedroom. The sock drawer is a hot mess and I waste time digging around looking for what I want. Time to purge!

YAY YOU!!! "Thinking about it" is very start of something fabulous. Also, in my decluttering adventure I've learned how to keep up with socks (miracle of miracles), when me and the gang take off our socks--we put them TOGETHER/FOLD THEM UP immediately after taking them off, then putting them in the dirty clothes baskets--AND put them up immediately after getting them out of the dryer...BOOM! I LOVE that you're thinking "time to purge". You can/will do it and I'm so GLAD for you--THANKS so much for contributing to this thread
    {{{{ <3 HUGS <3 }}}}}}
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!