What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• sarahan6202
    sarahan6202 Posts: 1 Member
    I hate tomatoes, onions and kale.
  • bighoopattitude
    bighoopattitude Posts: 37 Member
    99% of pizza tastes like soggy cardboard. With the exception of a few gourmet places the rest is raccoon food.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    edited January 2020
    some more: pasta is not good, the only kind of bread worth eating is banana bread (you can keep your baguette!), there is no point in using oil in your cooking... I cringe when I see a recipe like roasted vegetables call for 1/3 cup cooking oil, salads are better without the dressing

Zucchini bread my mom made was really good. I agree with the oil in cooking 👍
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,476 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    Pizza is a stomachache, fast food is gross, store bought brand name cookies are a disappointment. Cake is useless except frosting. Bread, pasta, potato and rice are "blank boring fillers" that waste room and calories.

I agree with all this aside of pizza, I took cake decorating classes and having batches of buttercream icing was amazing, it was hard not to eat it all! It took everything in me not to eat the icing off someone's plate at a recent party, I'd definitely trade the cake portion for icing!
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    edited January 2020
    Unpopular opinion: I don't really like fries and I don't think they're worth the calories.
    Unpopular food opinion: Stuffing is disgusting. It doesn't matter if its stove top, or made from scratch, it tastes like salty, soggy bread. Pass. Dressing too. Then it's soggy bread with nuts in it. Also gross.

I hate stuffing. I even made my own for a couple of years and tried cornbread stuffing at my friend's Thanksgiving party last year and...nope, still just salty, soggy bread. Also, why would someone ruin perfectly good cornbread by making it into stuffing?

Actually I dislike the majority of Thanksgiving foods. Turkey is ok but it's not as good as chicken. I don't like gravy. Green bean casserole is absolutely disgusting. I'm not really that into potatoes in general, like I'll eat them if they're there, but meh. And pumpkin pie is ridiculously overrated and not worth the calories...no thanks (I also hate nutmeg). So are pies in general. I prefer to have brownies on Thanksgiving.

Also the only cranberry sauce I've ever liked was the one that someone I know made for aforementioned Thanksgiving party. He put maple syrup instead of sugar, and also bourbon. It was amazing but it tasted different from normal cranberry sauce as you might imagine. I do want to get that recipe to make next year though. I've made homemade cranberry sauce before and it was way better than canned obviously, but still not really worth the effort.
    When my sister and I took over Thanksgiving and we still did traditional dinners, I used to do a rice dressing with brown and wild rice and vegetables that was more a pilaf than anything. Might as well make it gluten free for myself!

Yeah that's what I'm planning to do for next Thanksgiving as well. Last year I made farro with mushrooms, chestnuts, and herbs, and that was good too.
    I couldn't quote for some reason, but I also liked the Starbucks juniper latte. I have had it twice and the first time I was not into the citrus sugar on top. Without that, and with nonfat milk, I found it pretty lovely. It reminded me of lavender lattes I've had from an independent coffee house.

I agree that a lot of people probably wouldn't like it though...not sickeningly sweet! I saw that a grande with whole milk was only 260 cal and most of the lattes and mochas run 350+ for a grande.

I actually want to try that. I'm annoyed that I didn't know about it when it was available.

• laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    edited January 2020
    Adamf13298 wrote: »
    Alcohol is a waste of time, money and health.

Agreed with you on that one. Also I can't drink anymore even if I wanted to. I took a year-long break from drinking because I wasn't into it anymore. After I started drinking again (not excessively, just 1-3 drinks on a night out) I would get hungover, in a fog, and extremely depressed for 3-4 days. I guess after going without alcohol for so long my body was just like "nope" and lost all tolerance for it. That happened three times before I figured out that alcohol was causing it, and after that I immediately stopped again, as there's now literally no benefit to alcohol for me. I still go out and have fun and all that, and it doesn't hamper my enjoyment of such. TBH I don't think my friends notice/care that I'm not drinking, especially once THEY get drunk enough, LOL. (Also I still drink kombucha, but it is mild enough that it doesn't cause any ill effects.)

I've also read that more and more people are cutting back on or giving up alcohol. I've even noticed some bars putting non-alcoholic cocktails on the menu which I always appreciate because it's nicer than just having a Diet Coke or seltzer or something.
    there is no point in using oil in your cooking... I cringe when I see a recipe like roasted vegetables call for 1/3 cup cooking oil, salads are better without the dressing

I do use the spray to prevent things from sticking but other than that I don't see the need to add a bunch of oil either. Also agree on salads being better without the dressing. I don't use dressing at home and instead if anything, I put nutritional yeast, hot sauce, or seasonings.

• kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Lettuce can shove it

Blood pudding and haggis are amazing
  • zzzedd
    zzzedd Posts: 14 Member
    Prawns are horrible
    cream cheese is not cheese
    Ginger is horrid

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    99% of pizza tastes like soggy cardboard. With the exception of a few gourmet places the rest is raccoon food.

My OH prefers pizza from the place down the street. I've been buying frozen pizza lately because it's been on sale, and for $3 I don't really mind that it is not as good. However, he's not a fan so last time I made pizza from scratch. I used bread flour and the crust was so stiff I'm going to use all purpose flour next time. He really liked it though.

It's obviously a much bigger time investment, but the cost of the ingredients is probably about $3.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    edited January 2020
    Juice is pointless, garlic is gross and popcorn is not good
  • pancakerunner
    kshama2001 wrote: »

My OH prefers pizza from the place down the street. I've been buying frozen pizza lately because it's been on sale, and for $3 I don't really mind that it is not as good. However, he's not a fan so last time I made pizza from scratch. I used bread flour and the crust was so stiff I'm going to use all purpose flour next time. He really liked it though.

It's obviously a much bigger time investment, but the cost of the ingredients is probably about $3.

is it awful that I actually like boxed pizza?? ahha :D
  • pancakerunner
    kimny72 wrote: »

I believe any combination of pizza dough, cheese, and sauce is yum. There is of course a hierarchy of pizza yumminess, but frozen pizza can for sure hit the spot, as long as I'm not jonesing for a real fresh baked pie :smiley:

Depends on the brand, too! Huge fan of Red Baron and Digiornos
  • emmabrookes1
    emmabrookes1 Posts: 67 Member
    Can't stand dates or broad beans. They both have the soft, slightly grainy paste-y texture, inside a thick 'skin'. Since I was small I always imagined that they felt like eating big beetles :s
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

I believe any combination of pizza dough, cheese, and sauce is yum. There is of course a hierarchy of pizza yumminess, but frozen pizza can for sure hit the spot, as long as I'm not jonesing for a real fresh baked pie :smiley:

Sitting here all by nyself, musing over my Two Hearted, wondering where the rest of that 8"x10" deep dish (mushrooms, onions, hot banana peppers) went.

ya0qxmcajzl3.jpg

Two for one night at Leo's, on Sunday, so the box underneath is full, and headed for my freezer.

4th (plus) year of maintenance: It's OK. ;) More than OK really. ;)

Calories in, calories out . . . overall. ;)
  • epangili
    epangili Posts: 818 Member
    I hate mayonnaise.

Ever since I made homemade mayo in home economics middle school class and found out what it's made of, I'm revolted at the thought of it.
  • Blooperss
    Blooperss Posts: 42 Member
    I think hummus is revolting. Even if Halo Top was zero calories and given to me for free, I'd pass on it.
  • estherpotter1
    estherpotter1 Posts: 137 Member
    I hate slimy oysters and raw fish and bloody meat.