40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• LiftNRiot
    LiftNRiot Posts: 463 Member
    Garage workout. Chest and stomach. Mostly incline bench, dumb bell. Ab roller, inclined situps, regular
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Gam3rguy, I know you have some kind of comp coming up. Hug and kiss the princess for me.
    Starting a little later this year. Here’s the (current) schedule.
  • mworeilly
    mworeilly Posts: 260 Member
    Hi everyone. I think this is the thread I should be on. I’m hoping to add some friends here so please just add me. I’m 48 and trying to drop a few pounds and keep the old ticker healthy before I reach 50. Finding time to exercise is near impossible with a 90 minute commute each way 4 times a week. With the kids being a little older and more independent now, it’s doable but, as I said, tricky. Have a great day all and stay motivated..
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    @gam3rguy - Love your OCR schedule. That's a LOT of racing. And the Spartan Beast is held at Killington, isn't it?
    I'm guessing that will be a long "fun filled" day. :) Have you raced it before? What is the time limit for completion?
  • Djproulx
    Finally, got the ok from the coach to do my first "unbroken" run in over a year if I promised to keep it easy paced. The goal was to see where my heart rate was and to be sure the achilles is ok with an hour of running. Good news is I enjoyed a 5& mile run with no pain, and HR stayed in low Zone 2 at a 10:40pace during the 4 mile main set. There's lots more work to do, but it's a start.

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,956 Member
    Didn't hit the gym yesterday as planned, but that was due to staying with my wife until the tow truck arrived to take her truck to the mechanic. Should have taken one hour; took over three instead.

But today I got in my first leg day of the new year, combining squats with deadlifts. Felt great! In fact, it felt a little too great... bar was moving super fast, and by my last set of squats I thought I should add more weight, as the bar felt light. That's when a number of minor clues added up in my brain...

...felt light...
    ...bar felt odd across my shoulders...
    ...too much flexion of weight...

That's when it hit me to check, and sure enough, I had been using the 35# bar, not my usual 45# bar. One of the dangers of working out in a gym where not everybody replaces equipment EXACTLY as they found it. I mean sure, it was only 10# less than I was thinking, less than 5% off, but it was still a little irritating to have been thinking I was crushing it when in fact I was actually lifting less.

At least I corrected this before I started pulling deads, but even that had its own reason to feel weird, as I have spent the last decade lifting almost exclusively heavy singles at 95% 1RM or heavier, yet here I was doing multiple triplets instead at 70%.
  • gam3rguy
    22 Minute Hard Corps: Cold Start & Brute Force Blue Line Fitness Series: Lower Body AMRAP! 4 full rounds!!! 60#!!!
  • gam3rguy
    "Body Beast Build: Back/Bis"=Done!
  • nossmf
    Chest & shoulders today...and yes, I did ensure the bench press bar was the 45# version before I started, lol.

Massive leg DOMS... once I get back into the habit of lifting regularly again that goes away, all the more incentive to keep at it rather than lifting only sporadically!
  • gam3rguy
    22 Minute Hard Corps: Cold Start & Brute Force Blue Line Fitness Series: MMA Cardio AMRAP!! 60#!!!
  • gam3rguy
    "Body Beast Build: Legs"=Done! with Vest ,Sandbags, Dumbbells & EZ bar!!!
  • gam3rguy
    22 Minute Hard Corps: Cold Start & Brute Force Blue Line Fitness Series: Lower Body AMRAP! 4 full rounds!!! 60#!!!
  • gam3rguy
    "Body Beast Build: Shoulders"=Done!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Happy Friday kids, hope all is well. @gam3rguy, what an upcoming schedule. Love it. I had nothing but varied bench press with an AMRAP at 80%. I also AMRAP at 70% with deadlifts. Needless to say this ole girl is sore. My youngest turned 18 today. Time does fly. Have a great weekend kids. Keep up the AWESOME work.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I can't do "real" pushups anymore, either. Arthritic wrists and elbows plus being less strong because I'm 51. Here is a substitute: Place hands on wall in front of you, back your feet away as far as seems reasonable and push "up" off the wall. You'll just do more reps to make up for the lowered resistance.
  • gam3rguy
    Djproulx wrote: »
    @gam3rguy - Love your OCR schedule. That's a LOT of racing. And the Spartan Beast is held at Killington, isn't it?
    I'm guessing that will be a long "fun filled" day. :) Have you raced it before? What is the time limit for completion?
    Killington is correct. This will be my first time there. The time limit is finish before they close the mountain. Lol. I think in Jersey you have till 9 pm. So, depends on start time.
  • nossmf
    Didn't post it Friday, but that day was back/bi's day. Decided to throw in shrugs as well, as they are a pulling motion of a sort. Always a good day when you finish and mark in your log to INCREASE the work for next workout. :-)
  • Djproulx
    gam3rguy wrote: »
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Killington is correct. This will be my first time there. The time limit is finish before they close the mountain. Lol. I think in Jersey you have till 9 pm. So, depends on start time.

When I saw that entry and realized it was held at Killington, I remembered comments from friends who did the race and underestimated the significant cardio fitness required to travel up and down the mountains for half a day.

With your consistent training, I'm sure you're going to spank that course! :)

• caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Hi kids, took Hot Hiit and man am I sore. Have a great night.
  • gam3rguy
    edited January 2020
    Saturday was Chest & tris at the gym.
    Yesterday I surfed the couch and played PS4 all day (beat Resident Evil 7!!!).

Today...Brute Force Blue Line Fitness Series: Total Body AMRAP! 60#!!!