Low carb/low sugar

I started the South Beach diet today and need ideas! I did it a few years ago and basically had protein shakes, cottage cheese, various egg recipes, meat and tons a veggies for phase 1.

I’m trying add some more variety now, but during the first phase, there’s not much to work with. Ideally, I want recipes I can still use even when I’m no longer on the strict part of the diet.

What I really need are quick, few ingredient (or at least ingredients that are generally on hand) recipes, particularly for breakfast and lunch!

My typical “breakfast” is coffee (with a pack of stevia and 2-4 tbsp. light cream) and a protein bar that I graze on throughout the early morning (I’m on horses at work starting at 6am, so has to be on-the-move food). My protein bars are not low carb, so I’m trying to come up with a game plan to replace them until I can add them back!

Desserts is another thing I would love to get ideas for! My favorite thing is, unfortunately, plain Greek yogurt, granola and honey (no-go for the first two weeks 😩). I’m not wild about Greek yogurt on it’s own...I tried adding cocoa powder and stevia...didn’t quite hit the spot! So I’ve settled for a cup of whole milk with sugar-free chocolate syrup tonight.

I came in around 72 grams of carbs today (23 of those was from my protein bar), so seems a bit high for a low-carb diet?

Hit me with your tried-and-true recipes and I welcome any advice from those who have done this route as a “reset”!

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    What happened the last time you tried this plan?

72 grams is considered low carb.

I cannot really help you with low carb desserts. I do not like the taste of artificial sweeteners so I have no experience using them and I almost never eat dessert unless it is a holiday or vacation.

My wife and I tried South Beach a few years ago. It didn't last long. It wasn't simple or easy enough for us.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited January 2020
    If it's only a short term phase, why do you need recipes that work for later too?

I don't know the rules of SB phase one, but for me, when doing very low carb, it makes sense to mostly focus on protein, veg, and healthy fats. So I'd have a vegetable omelet for breakfast with avocado on the side. Lunch might be a salad with protein on it, and a dressing made with olive oil and vinegar. Dinner would be meat and veg, perhaps something like spaghetti squash or cauliflower rice if you want to mimic a pasta or stir fry.

I use all of these types of options when eating higher carb too (although now I'm limiting meat so would likely sub tofu, tempeh, or beans/lentils for the protein).

From what I've heard about later phases of SB it's basically a whole foods based diet focusing on higher fiber sources of carbs, isn't it? Not so much about being super low carb? (72 g is low carb, however, just not keto.)
  • sarahjen92
    sarahjen92 Posts: 64 Member
    @lemurcat2 yes, phase 1 basically eliminates all starches and sugar. Phase 2, you begin adding in more food again (like "healthy" starches such as brown rice, wild rice, wheat pasta, certain fruits, etc.) Phase 3, your unlimited, but the idea is to have already retrained your mind and body to habitually stick with a more well-rounded diet. So in the end, it's not a low-carb diet.

I do need to add avocados to the store list...I loooove them but always forget to buy them when shopping.
  • sarahjen92
    NovusDies wrote: »
    What happened the last time you tried this plan?

72 grams is considered low carb.

I cannot really help you with low carb desserts. I do not like the taste of artificial sweeteners so I have no experience using them and I almost never eat dessert unless it is a holiday or vacation.

My wife and I tried South Beach a few years ago. It didn't last long. It wasn't simple or easy enough for us.

Lucky you, I love dessert way too much. I've used stevia in my coffee for years now so I don't mind the sugar-replacements. I've also used Splenda in recipes and don't find it to significantly change the flavor (but maybe it's because I'm used to it?)

I loved the results the last time. I tend to get obsessive about things (to a certain extent) and I've found the structure of a plan (such as South Beach) is helpful for me. It definitely helped me lose weight the first time, and winter time is when I have the hardest time not over eating...throw in the holidays, shorter daylight hours, and my job becoming "easier" on calorie burn, it's a recipe for 5-10 extra pounds that I don't need or want.

@Nony_Mouse I don't need to be low-carb for any reason. I like the structure of the plan and the fact that it's not (in the end) actually a low-carb "diet". For me, I view it more as a mind "reset", and to be honest, the last time I did it, it helped. While I do generally eat better and am more conscious of my food than many people I'm around, I find it easy to start going over-board with certain things (ice cream for example). It's not so much of a hassle really, it's mainly about coming up with a game plan I can do. Cooking, period, is a hassle for me, so changing up recipes isn't really making my life that much more difficult :#

I still pay attention to CICO, I have for 10+ years now. I just honestly need some structure in my life with food. Maybe I should focus the structure on just planning my meals instead though...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited January 2020
    I did South Beach years ago using the old blue book - there were tons of recipes in that. Are you doing it from the SB website this time? That should have recipes. If not, your library system should have a variety of SB books.

There were several ricotta dessert recipes I liked: https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=South+Beach+ricotta+recipe&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

While I did not personally care for South Beach, I wish you the best of success :)
  • sarahjen92
    edited January 2020
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I did South Beach years ago using the old blue book - there were tons of recipes in that. Are you doing it from the SB website this time? That should have recipes. If not, your library system should have a variety of SB books.

There were several ricotta dessert recipes I liked: https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=South+Beach+ricotta+recipe&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

While I did not personally care for South Beach, I wish you the best of success :)

I have the old blue book too, I don't keep ricotta on hand so replaced it with cottage cheese instead. I just got ricotta this time to try it though! That's what I'm planning on doing for snack tonight.

I'm not wild about the first two weeks hah...I honestly miss granola and wild rice the most...both of which you can start on phase 2 again I believe.
  • AbbeyGBR
    AbbeyGBR Posts: 6 Member
    61xc32a914za.png
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    AbbeyGBR wrote: »
    61xc32a914za.png

That calorie goal is really low. Did you enter a goal rate of loss?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2020
    @AbbeyGBR

That calorie goal is really, really low. Is that based on a goal rate of loss that you entered?
  • lemurcat2
    This hasn't been especially active lately, but it looks like they attempted to restart it last year. You might find information of use: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8279-original-south-beach-diet-dash-diet-weight-loss-solution-low-glycemic-load-eating-group
  • sarahjen92
    @lemurcat2 I'll check it out! Thanks!

Just want to clarify, I don't want to do a Keto diet. It seems that South Beach isn't as low carb as keto, and I want to shoot for at least 90g protein.

I'm also realizing (based on some of the replies plus from a lot of good nutrition advice I've seen on here from people who have been at it for a long time), I don't think a super low carb diet would fit for me.

I also realized (being more a stickler at tracking my food in the last few days) that I consume waaaaay more carbs out of habit than I realized! I assumed because I didn't really eat bread or pasta very often (usually less than once every week or two), I wasn't getting too many carbs. WRONG! So I've become more aware and am simply shooting for a lower amount...preferably not above 150g (that's at 50% for me I believe) but trying to hit closer to 100g so I can get 30% of my calories from protein.

Thank you for all the help and advice! I'll continue to look at and get ideas for lower carb options and read the advice given to others as well!

As a side note...I tried mock mashed "potatoes" cauliflower yesterday. It was delicious...definitely will be utilizing that more!
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I aim for low carb for health reasons, and my goal is 90 or less a day. I'd say anything less than 100 is low carb, and anything less than 50 is very low carb but I'm no expert LOL.

Using almond flour for a cake can make it lower carb, but still will be high calorie.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    I really like Built bars (protein). They are delicious and really satisfy my sweet tooth. (110 cal, 13 g carbs, 4 g fat, 15 g protein - there are a few bars that have more). I eat 71 grams of carbs a day and I found that there is plethora of information on the internet. I usually end up with low carb or kept recipes.
  • sarahjen92
    Using almond flour for a cake can make it lower carb, but still will be high calorie.

Good to know! I’ll have to experiment with that when I bake.

I bought coconut flour a couple years ago (I believe lower carb as well?) and was NOT impressed. Till I read the directions which said to replace only half of the flour with it 😂 oops
  • lemurcat2
    sarahjen92 wrote: »

Just want to clarify, I don't want to do a Keto diet. It seems that South Beach isn't as low carb as keto, and I want to shoot for at least 90g protein.

I'm also realizing (based on some of the replies plus from a lot of good nutrition advice I've seen on here from people who have been at it for a long time), I don't think a super low carb diet would fit for me.

I also realized (being more a stickler at tracking my food in the last few days) that I consume waaaaay more carbs out of habit than I realized! I assumed because I didn't really eat bread or pasta very often (usually less than once every week or two), I wasn't getting too many carbs. WRONG! So I've become more aware and am simply shooting for a lower amount...preferably not above 150g (that's at 50% for me I believe) but trying to hit closer to 100g so I can get 30% of my calories from protein.

Thank you for all the help and advice! I'll continue to look at and get ideas for lower carb options and read the advice given to others as well!

As a side note...I tried mock mashed "potatoes" cauliflower yesterday. It was delicious...definitely will be utilizing that more!

The poster who started the group I linked is a big fan of SB and still around here occasionally -- @Sabine_Stroehm.

She always described SB as not low carb, but slow carb (before that name got taken over by some awful fad diet), and explained that it just focused on using whole food and higher fiber sources as your primary carbs. Veg, fruit, whole grains, beans and lentils, tubers, nuts and seeds. That always sounded pretty sensible to me, although I have not read the book (I think there's an old and new version).
  • kshama2001
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

The poster who started the group I linked is a big fan of SB and still around here occasionally -- @Sabine_Stroehm.

She always described SB as not low carb, but slow carb (before that name got taken over by some awful fad diet), and explained that it just focused on using whole food and higher fiber sources as your primary carbs. Veg, fruit, whole grains, beans and lentils, tubers, nuts and seeds. That always sounded pretty sensible to me, although I have not read the book (I think there's an old and new version).

IIRC, Sabine was pretty adamant that the old (blue/teal) book was superior.
  • kshama2001

I have the old blue book too, I don't keep ricotta on hand so replaced it with cottage cheese instead. I just got ricotta this time to try it though! That's what I'm planning on doing for snack tonight.

I'm not wild about the first two weeks hah...I honestly miss granola and wild rice the most...both of which you can start on phase 2 again I believe.

It's only two weeks though :)

I eat a lot of cottage cheese, but ricotta sure has it beat as a treat food.
  • sarahjen92
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

That’s what I thought about it! My grandmother was into eating well and would do the SB diet. I actually got the old blue book from her. Slow carb is a better term for it, that’s what I like. It seemed to help me take my cravings back under control, but also more or less taught you how to balance your meals. Thanks! I also joined the “low carb” group forum on here.
  • sarahjen92

It's only two weeks though :)

I eat a lot of cottage cheese, but ricotta sure has it beat as a treat food.

It does! I’ve never thought of using it for anything other than pasta or lasagna, but it’s so rich! I find it more filling also. Glad I finally tried that dessert trick!