Rate my Routine!

Currently 222lbs at 6'1 after a long bulk and looking to continue building muscle while focusing on body recomposition at 3,000-3,200 calories per day which means I'll stop powerlifting for a couple of months. What do you think of this high-volume routine? Can I continue gaining muscle while losing bodyfat as I don't want to lose strength.

Day 1 - Chest and Triceps
Superset
Barbell Bench Press - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
Incline Dumbbell Press - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
Superset
Dumbbell Flyes - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
Straight-Arm Dumbbell Pullover - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
Superset
Standing Tricep Extensions - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
Cable Tricep Extensions - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
Superset
Triceps Pull-down - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
Diamond Push-Up - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
Burn Sets
Cable Crossover - 50
Bench Dips - 50

Day 2 - Back and Biceps
Superset
Barbell Row - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
Dumbbell Row - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
Superset
Shrugs - 5 sets of 20
Dumbbell Shrugs - 5 sets of 20
Superset
Lat Pull-down - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
Reverse Pec-Deck Fly - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
Superset
Incline Dumbbell Curl - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
Incline Hammer Curl - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
Burn Sets
Rear Delt Raise - 50
Cable Curl - 50

Day 3 - Legs
Barbell Squat - 5 x 10
Stiff-Legged Deadlift - 5 x 10
Good Morning - 5 x 10
Barbell Lunge - 5 x 10
Superset
Leg Extensions - 5 x 10
Leg Curl - 5 x 10
Superset
Standing Calf Raises - 5 x 10
Leg Press Calf Raises - 5 x 10
Burn Sets
Leg Press - 50
Leg Curl - 50

Day 4 - Shoulders and Triceps
Superset
Standing Dumbbell Press - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
Front Dumbbell Raise - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
Superset
Lateral Raise - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
Upright Row - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
Burn Set
Plate Raise - 50
Victory Raise - 50
Superset
Burn Set
Diamond Push-Up - 50
Bench Dip - 50

Day 5 - Back and Biceps
Superset
Barbell Row - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
Superset
Shrugs - 5 sets of 20
Superset
Superset
Burn Set
Rear Delt Raise - 50
Cable Curl - 50

Day 6
Cardio LISS - 30 Minutes
Core - 10 Minutes

Day 7 - Rest

Replies

• watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Insanity, especially the leg day,
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    It is a modified version on the Arnold Blueprint to Mass but with less frequency on some body parts.

The original program has an extra legs and chest day.
  • marcusjgrose
    marcusjgrose Posts: 16 Member
    Unless you're on gear it's way too much.
  • I’d die doing that much volume. Is it really necessary?
  • RepswithRyan
    The first 30 reps of the Arnold Blueprint are a warm-up set rather then a set to failure.

I did the 5-day Power Muscle Burn workout by Steve Shaw which is also high volume but I want the frequency of the previous PPL day.

I know it looks a lot on paper but it is only legs, shoulders and chest once a week while the back and arms are trained twice a week. The Steve Shaw 5-day Power Muscle Burn only trained them once a week and I have adapted to twice a week from my previous PPL split.

What I could do is go lighter on the first back day and heavier on the second back day at I will have two full days to recover and if the volume for the back is too intense, I could scale it back to one day and focus on arms only on the Friday.
  • RepswithRyan
    After some thought, I could change the following.

Day 2 - Back and Biceps
    Day 3 - Legs
    Day 5 - Traps and Biceps
    Day 6 - Cardio and Core
    Day 7 - Recovery

Day 5 - Traps and Biceps
    Power Set
    Barbell Shrugs - 5 x 5
    Superset
    Plate Shrugs - 5 sets of 20
    Superset
    Pinwheel Curl - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
    Burn Set
    Rear Delt Raise - 50
    Cable Curl - 50
  • watts6151
    My stats are basically the same as yours
    6ft. @ 221lb

What weight are you lifting on the first 3 exercises on leg day ? After those 3 exercises, in that order my legs would be a wreck
  • RepswithRyan
    I haven't tried the Arnold Blueprint to Mass Routine yet as I have been doing the 5-day Power, Muscle, Burn by Steve Shaw. I agree with the above post that it would be too much volume for a natural and I have limited the exercises to 8 exercises while adding the power and burn sets from the Steve Shaw routines. I believe the rep ranges for the hypertrophy sets would be 50%, 60%, 70%, 80% for the 12, 10, 8, 6 as Arnold did pyramid training on most of his sets.

Power Set
    Barbell Bench Press - 4 x 4
    Hypertrophy Set
    Incline Dumbbell Press - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
    Superset
    Dumbbell Flyes - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
    Cable Crossover - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
    Superset
    Superset
    Diamond Push-Up - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6

Day 2 - Back and Biceps
    Power Sets
    Barbell Row - 4 x 4
    Shrugs - 5 x 5
    Hypertrophy Sets
    Superset
    Superset
    Burn Sets
    Rear Delt Raise - 50

Day 3 - Legs
    Power Set
    Barbell Squat - 4 x 4
    Hypertrophy Set
    Stiff-Legged Deadlift - 5 x 10
    Superset
    Leg Extensions - 5 x 10
    Leg Curl - 5 x 10
    Superset
    Standing Calf Raises - 5 x 10
    Leg Press Calf Raises - 5 x 10
    Burn Sets
    Leg Press - 50
    Leg Curl - 50

Power Set
    Shoulder Press - 4 x 4
    Hypertrophy Sets
    Arnold Press - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
    Superset
    Front Dumbbell Raise - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
    Lateral Raise - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
    Burn Set
    Plate Raise - 50
    Superset
    Burn Set
    Bench Dip - 50

Day 5 - Traps and Biceps
    Power Set
    Barbell Shrugs - 4 x 4
    Superset
    Plate Shrugs - 5 sets of 20
    Superset
    Pinwheel Curl - 30, 12, 10, 8, 6
    Burn Set
    Rear Delt Raise - 50
    Cable Curl - 50

Day 6
    Cardio LISS - 30 Minutes
    Core - 10 Minutes

Day 7 - Rest

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    There isn't a answer without knowing your training history involving response, volume, average intensity utiluzed, etc...

Also define strength as it applies to your goals. Switching from a optimal powerlifting block to a hypertrophy block might not have a loss of lets say 10RM but perhaps your e1rm from doing less "4r sets?" will take a small hit. Who knows without knowing the info needed.

This is an example of why training history is important. I don't know what is changing for you as a individual. How you measure strength. How you plan to auto regulate hopefully. If you plan on doing a more sub par linear progression.

I can say you training at the appropriate volume for you, in a rep scheme that you respond to in a sensitive manner should maintain results and "might" yield better results.

Take the data from your blocks and decide for yourself since you have a idea about your training.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    It looks like someone has thrown together every known exercise and added a random rep scheme to it. What is wrong with continuing your current programme? Or alternatively try PPL or UL or Full Body with a sensible amount of volume per session.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    Looks like a lot of volume for volume's sake IMHO.

I've been doing a 5 day split based on Mike Isratel's target reps guidance and have been seeing good results.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/weightroom/comments/6674a4/dr_mike_israetels_training_tips_for_hypertrophy/

What I put together basically boils down to a hybrid Push/Pull split (DL with Push, Squats with Pull so rows and DL are separated) repeated twice with the fifth day filling in set gaps, all days are a max of 7-8 exercises. Everything gets hit at least 2-3x/week and I reverse pyramid some things to vary my rep ranges.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,481 Member
    Are you achieving your goals?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited January 2020
    Do you really need a 30 rep warmup set for each exercise? 50 rep sets? Jeez... and here I am trying to reduce volume because of recovery issues. I’m not technically 100% natural either. That routine would wreck me.

What is your training experience and current physique? What is your goal? I think people have mentioned being wary of emulating elite, Mr. O type bodybuilding routines.

Edit: I just spent the last year on a recomp. I’m 6’1 and around 220 currently. I didn’t change my program at all. I didn’t make any extraordinary gains in strength but I certainly didn’t lose anything during the process. Bulking again currently.
  • RepswithRyan
    Thank you for the replies.

Me and my training partner did the rep ranges as listed on the Arnold Blueprint to Mass at 30, 12, 10, 8, 6. I am 222lbs at 6'1 and he is 242lbs at 6'4.

We are adapted to high volume hypertrophy routines but 30, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 shattered us yesterday and we decided to switch to 15, 12, 10, 10. I suspect Arnold wrote the blueprint trainer from the time when he was on steroids and training for Mr.Olympia contest as the volume looks exceptionally high.

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/arnold-schwarzenegger-volume-workout-routines
    Variation 2 of the Arnold Volume workout written by Steve Shaw has you train chest, back and legs in a single day which is three major body parts!

Today, we did shoulders and arms with supersets and it was great and it was less intensive than the previous chest and back day and 15, 12, 10, 8 is much less fatiguing while still giving us a pump.

Day 1 and 4
    Chest
    Dumbell Fly - 4 x 25
    Superset 1: Incline Bench Press
    Superset 1: Incline Dumbbell Fly
    Pec-Deck Fly
    Cable Crossover
    Back
    Lat Pulldown
    Close-grip Lat Pulldown
    Superset 2: Bent over row
    Superset 2: Dumbbell Row
    Barbell Shrugs

Day 2 and 5
    Shoulders
    Plate Raise - 4 x 25
    Superset 1: Seated Shoulder Press
    Superset 1: Reverse Pec-Deck Fly
    Superset 2: Lateral Raise
    Superset 2: Rear Delt Raise
    Arms
    Straight-bar Pulldown
    Superset 3: Incline dumbbell curl
    Superset 3: Incline hammer curl
    Pinwheel Curls
    Cable Tricep Extensions

Day 3
    Legs
    Leg Press - 4 x 25
    Squats
    Quadriceps
    Leg Press
    Leg Extensions
    Hamstrings
    Stiff-Legged Deadlift
    Leg Curl
    Calves
    Standing Calf Raise - 4 x 25
    Leg Press Calf Raise - 4 x 25
  • RepswithRyan
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Do you really need a 30 rep warmup set for each exercise? 50 rep sets? Jeez... and here I am trying to reduce volume because of recovery issues. I’m not technically 100% natural either. That routine would wreck me.

What is your training experience and current physique? What is your goal? I think people have mentioned being wary of emulating elite, Mr. O type bodybuilding routines.

Edit: I just spent the last year on a recomp. I’m 6’1 and around 220 currently. I didn’t change my program at all. I didn’t make any extraordinary gains in strength but I certainly didn’t lose anything during the process. Bulking again currently.

7ttak1e0fntw.png

So far, I have done Body Beast, Vikings and a 6-day PPL. I grew from 176lbs to 222lbs over the last year and my arms grew from 15 inches to 18 inches, my chest and shoulders grew a lot as well.

I started with high-volume and high-frequency routines and begin to feel deflate if I don't have a high frequency.

I suspect I gained the 40lbs from noob gains. I am happy at around 220lbs as I find it more difficult to get any heavier than 225lbs at my height, I would like to focus on defining the muscles and training for the pump with high volume now as it is the type of training I enjoy.
  • watts6151
    40lb in a year ? I’m assuming about 20-25lb if that will be fat
  • RepswithRyan
    edited January 2020
    watts6151 wrote: »

About two years since I started the Vikings routine.

My abs are visible and I have gained mostly muscle from running the programs.
    My waist is 33 inches to chest which is at 50 inches.

I would like to focus on recomp but I don't want to lose the size I have built at my height as I like to keep up with my training partner in terms of strength and he is 20lbs more than me.
  • fitnessguy266
    fitnessguy266 Posts: 150 Member

Uncommon, but definitely achievable......what you stated is definitely true for the majority of us that start a new training program and are consistent with diet/routine, etc.
  • fitnessguy266
    fitnessguy266 Posts: 150 Member
    edited January 2020
    LvlUpStr wrote: »

About two years since I started the Vikings routine.

My abs are visible and I have gained mostly muscle from running the programs.
    My waist is 33 inches to chest which is at 50 inches.

I would like to focus on recomp but I don't want to lose the size I have built at my height as I like to keep up with my training partner in terms of strength and he is 20lbs more than me.

Strong results OP, you've obviously taken the program very seriously! I would say given your progress you've chosen the holy grail routine of your body type! :D
  • happysquatter
    happysquatter Posts: 91 Member
    Hey mate - well first off, your progress is impressive! I imagine the discipline and time you put in to be considerable so kudos on doing that. You made noob gains work close to the best I've ever seen. And I imagine you to be at the most 18%~ bf. Incredible!

That said, the first post looked like WAAAAY too many reps for someone not on gear. Keep in mind, it's not just being able to last that many reps but recovering from it too. Looks like you've adjusted lower down.

If you're looking for a high volume workout that has been tried and tested amongst the natural strength world, look up P.H.A.T by Layne Norton.

The last thing would be that your strength WILL suffer. And by that I mean, your peak strength. The highs will get lower, the lows will get higher and the plateau will move up a couple steps, if that analogy makes sense. But you will at the end of this have more muscle for more strength potential

Good luck