Spin at home?

Hi

I have started to really enjoy spin class, But it is new to me, have only been to 5 classes.

I can only make it to one or two classes a week, because life, work schedule.

I am considering getting a bike for home, but I am terrified that I just won’t use it and it will end up being a laundry rack.
I know I tend to start things and then loose interest.

If I were to get one it woul likely be mid end, and that would be a serious amount of money for me. And don’t mention peloton cause 2k + $40 per month is not for me. I need the bike to be stable, silent and show the metrics of the ride.

Anyone else gone through this sort of decision before? Did it work out?

Is there an amount of time you should stick with something before making a big investment?

Sorry I know this is rambling, I think I am just looking for advice, opinions, bike recommendations and general discuss. Really tell me anything.

Replies

• HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    I just bought a spin bike for the house. I wanted a commercial grade, sturdy bike that provided my stats. I went with a Life Cycle ic7. They sell loads of used bikes on the internet (ebay). I would not buy a used bike from a gym because they get used so very much but I would buy one from a person who decided it wasn’t for them. I tend to workout harder when I go to classes at the gym I think it is because the instructor is telling me what to do as opposed to watching a spin workout on my iPad. I don’t ride my home bike everyday but it is really nice to have if I can’t get to a scheduled class at the gym.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,379 Member
    If you look at anything used, do some research on the rebuild costs. We purchased a Precor elliptical used, but the cost to refurbish all the wear parts was really reasonable due to them having a large presence at gyms. In our case, we didn't even need to get it serviced, but if we did the service cost was low.
  • Dunegirl15
    Dunegirl15 Posts: 12 Member
    I bought a home stationary bike after having my first child in 2016 because time to go to the gym became nonexistent. It’s by the brand Sunny and I think it was around $300-500. It’s not quite as nice as the ones at the gym, but it’s definitely gotten the job done.

I use my bike regularly, particularly during the cold Midwest winters (less so during the summers when I tend to take the real bike to the local trails). One of the things that really helped me was installing a small tv on the wall near eye level so I can ride along to spin classes (mostly free ones via YouTube). It’s kind of like a do-it-yourself peloton setup. May not work for everyone, but it’s been a good purchase for me.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    There are subscriptions for things like Les Mills On Demand with a variety of soon classes. That keeps me on track to workout at home.
  • MultipleHigh5s
    MultipleHigh5s Posts: 49 Member
    Hiltri thank you for the recommendation. I will look into that bike. And thank you for the tip not to buy from a gym. Never thought of that.

Robert: thanks I never thought of rebuild cost. I will think on it.

Dunegirl: I was looking at the sunny health bikes. When you say not as good as the gym bike, what is wrong with it? Stability? Noise?

Danp: I saw the turbo at my local bike store. I am not feeling it, but maybe I will reconsider.

Is there a magical amount of time doing something before you dive into a big purchase? I wish I knew.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    I usually get myself a used/inexpensive someone-else's-former-clothes rack off of Craig's List to try out with a goal/reward.

I did this with my treadmill. I bought a used treadmill for $80 with the goal of using it for X miles/month for the winter. Once I achieved that goal, I promised myself an upgrade. It took me about 3 years to achieve the initial goal and upgraded to add a desk, so that I could do more stuff while on the treadmill. That SERIOUSLY ramped up my usage, so I just recently upgraded to a proper under-desk treadmill with remote control and much more silent action. I'm glad I started with the used equipment because it allowed me to figure out what options on a treadmill were important to me and which weren't. It also allowed me to learn maintenance routines for the device without fear that I'd break an expensive thing. And it gave me a goal to work toward and a reward for achieving that goal. :)
  • healthykaitlin
    healthykaitlin Posts: 91 Member
    I took ~200 spin classes before finally buying a bike when my work schedule got crazy. I don’t know why I didn’t do it sooner. I did go with a peloton but have heard great things about their competitors or just using apps if the classroom feel is what you’re into. I will say, somehow having the bike closer has NOT been a motivator for me to spend more time on it &, even though I love it, I sometimes have to drag myself to it(whining the whole way). You just have to commit to it & make it a habit. Good luck
  • MultipleHigh5s
    I think I will make a decision to take a certain number of classes before I can decide whether or not to get the bike. Maybe 50 classes. Maybe 100? But I am 100% going to get the shoes the first week of February.
  • NicbPNW
    NicbPNW Posts: 47 Member
    I know you don't want one but I love my Peloton. I had the same fears as you and thought I wouldn't use it but I use it ALL the time.
  • MultipleHigh5s
    My biggest issue with the peloton is the rediculous monthly subscription. If it was 10$ a month then I would probably be drooling over the peloton.

Ideally I would love to get the same bike as my gym has, which is the Keiser m3i. But I think I will start keeping an eye on the second hand market for that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Hi

I have started to really enjoy spin class, But it is new to me, have only been to 5 classes.

I am considering getting a bike for home, but I am terrified that I just won’t use it and it will end up being a laundry rack.

If I were to get one it woul likely be mid end, and that would be a serious amount of money for me. And don’t mention peloton cause 2k + $40 per month is not for me. I need the bike to be stable, silent and show the metrics of the ride.

Is there an amount of time you should stick with something before making a big investment?

Sorry I know this is rambling, I think I am just looking for advice, opinions, bike recommendations and general discuss. Really tell me anything.

I spin and am also an avid road cycling and mountain bike enthusiast. A couple of things...since you're new, 1 or 2 days of spinning is plenty as I would consider it to be a pretty strenuous workout. Strenuous exercise requires rest and recovery or it can become counterproductive, and in my experience, spin is one of those things that is easy to overdo. At the moment, I'm doing a couple of spin classes per week and then mixing in more moderate cycling on my road bike or mountain bike on other days. I also lift, so too much strenuous spin combined with lifting would lead to recovery issues most likely.

In regards to spinning at home, I do have an indoor trainer at home that I can mount my bike to and have done YouTube spin classes at home, but it doesn't have the same feel or energy. More often than not I use it at times of in-climate weather to just ride as I would outside while watching some show or another. I would second the suggestion above to get a bike that you can ride outside when it's nice out and a trainer for those not so nice days.

I'm a big proponent of mixing up workout intensities throughout the week. Strenuous sessions can be difficult to recover from so I like to throw in some more moderate efforts, along with a day or two of really easy effort...like walking or doing some yoga or something. I think a lot of people, especially early on in their fitness journey overdo strenuous exercise.
  • NicbPNW
    NicbPNW Posts: 47 Member
    My biggest issue with the peloton is the rediculous monthly subscription. If it was 10$ a month then I would probably be drooling over the peloton.

Ideally I would love to get the same bike as my gym has, which is the Keiser m3i. But I think I will start keeping an eye on the second hand market for that.

I consider the monthly fee like a gym membership and it also forces me to keep using the bike LOL. But I understand your complaint. Good luck!
  • cathyloufit
    cathyloufit Posts: 7 Member
    I have a Sunny spin bike I bought off of Amazon. Works great.

I use Studio Sweat on Demand for online spin classes. I just renewed for $199 for the year but they have a sale on right now that you can get a year for $99. They have a wide variety of classes not just spinning.

I highly recommend you do some research on the bike to determine what works best for you, ie chain drive vs belt drive, braking mechanism , adjustments available, pedals, etc
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Danp wrote: »
    Get a bicycle, not an exercise bike but a real two wheels, pedal and chain bicycle.
    Get yourself a 'turbo' trainer. Magnetic ones are cheapest, fluid ones are better but slightly more expensive and the fancy electronic/wheel off ones are the most expensive.

Now you have the option of strapping your bicycle on the trainer and getting all the benefits of a spin/exercise bike while the added option of getting out of the house and going for a ride should the fancy take you.

To spice things up you could get yourself a Zwift subscription and go on virtual rides.

I was going to say this exact same thing. Then you can use your bike(s) all year round!
    They have so many worlds, routes and workouts on Zwift, you won't get bored.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Danp wrote: »
    Get a bicycle, not an exercise bike but a real two wheels, pedal and chain bicycle.
    Get yourself a 'turbo' trainer. Magnetic ones are cheapest, fluid ones are better but slightly more expensive and the fancy electronic/wheel off ones are the most expensive.

Now you have the option of strapping your bicycle on the trainer and getting all the benefits of a spin/exercise bike while the added option of getting out of the house and going for a ride should the fancy take you.

To spice things up you could get yourself a Zwift subscription and go on virtual rides.

Meh. I did that too, and it's just not as appealing. (And no way am I spending money on Zwift or Peleton.)

My BF tried a trainer but he was totally bored (he gave me his trainer LOL) and decided it was not for him. He bought a Rogue air bike and loves it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,719 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hi

I spin and am also an avid road cycling and mountain bike enthusiast. A couple of things...since you're new, 1 or 2 days of spinning is plenty as I would consider it to be a pretty strenuous workout. Strenuous exercise requires rest and recovery or it can become counterproductive, and in my experience, spin is one of those things that is easy to overdo. At the moment, I'm doing a couple of spin classes per week and then mixing in more moderate cycling on my road bike or mountain bike on other days. I also lift, so too much strenuous spin combined with lifting would lead to recovery issues most likely.

In regards to spinning at home, I do have an indoor trainer at home that I can mount my bike to and have done YouTube spin classes at home, but it doesn't have the same feel or energy. More often than not I use it at times of in-climate weather to just ride as I would outside while watching some show or another. I would second the suggestion above to get a bike that you can ride outside when it's nice out and a trainer for those not so nice days.

I'm a big proponent of mixing up workout intensities throughout the week. Strenuous sessions can be difficult to recover from so I like to throw in some more moderate efforts, along with a day or two of really easy effort...like walking or doing some yoga or something. I think a lot of people, especially early on in their fitness journey overdo strenuous exercise.

I think this is really, really good advice to consider. I guess home spin workouts could be less intense, but mixed intensities at least are a really good plan. Even elite athletes don't do intense (for them) workouts every day. There are good reasons. We shouldn't either.
  • MultipleHigh5s
    Cwolfman I think you might be right. I am just so excited to have found something I actually enjoy that I want to go all in.

But I will take your advice and find a way to mix it up. For now I will go to the spin classes I can do. And fit some other stuff into my week. Thank you