Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    How long have you been doing keto now @psuLemon ? It seems to really work well for you. And I think the exercises you are doing should be good. I mean you could add lunges and all that but not sure if that would aggravate your back.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Btw, currently i am unable to squat from some lower back issues. Any good suggestions for replacement?

I do single leg press, quad focus leg press, ham focused leg press, leg curls, extensions, calve raises and i can do cable squats.

No hack squat in my gym.

Does your gym have a V squat machine ?
    Really takes the strain off lower back
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Btw, currently i am unable to squat from some lower back issues. Any good suggestions for replacement?

I do single leg press, quad focus leg press, ham focused leg press, leg curls, extensions, calve raises and i can do cable squats.

No hack squat in my gym.

I looked this up and the it's just like the leg press machine at my work gym, only ours is horizontal...

It's been a game changer for my knees
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits

No hack squat in my gym.

I can't squat well because of my knees but we have a leg press machine that memics a squat on your back pretty well... That somehow doesn't bother my knees...

I know people go on and on about squats and deadlifts, but considering the risk, it's not worth the reward for me at 37...

At the end of the day, Daddy's gotta work lol

Yea, i am the same age and have dad duties as well. Right now i am putting greater emphasis on upper body. And Les Mills cycling.

I still deadlift a bit (mostly hex bar), GHR and used to do hip thrust.

I got a hex bar to help with my back and ended up screwing up my knee, so I have to be careful even with that... But I ran a lot of my weight off, so I have a few nagging over use injuries that will likely never heal...

Still worth it of course
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator

No hack squat in my gym.

We do. I do my single leg squats on it. Maybe i am covering this better than i thought.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member

No hack squat in my gym.

We do. I do my single leg squats on it. Maybe i am covering this better than i thought.

Sounds like your working around your back issues and still getting decent leg training in
  • psuLemon
    So sour gummy bears are keto right?
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    I'll wait until April before I start cutting.

The 70 day fat loss shred by Steve Shaw looks great.

I have bulked from 176lbs to 222lbs but I've seen an increase in my bodyfat percentage as well and I'm now eating 3200 calories a day but I'll reduce it to 2300 calories per day once I start the fat loss shred.
  • sardelsa
    That's some great gains @pitbullpuppy how long did you bulk for?
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »

I've been bulking since the start of November and following Arnold's plan religiously from his Bodybuilding Bible. I can totally, totally see massive changes in my entire body. Frankly I'm not even sure I'll need to drop to 117 to get rid of the fat & really reveal it, I'm just starting to feel pudgy. We'll seeeee! I'd love to be able to compete as bikini at some point!

I just found a PDF of that and it's quite the compendium. Which plan from the book have you been following?
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »

I've been bulking since the start of November and following Arnold's plan religiously from his Bodybuilding Bible. I can totally, totally see massive changes in my entire body. Frankly I'm not even sure I'll need to drop to 117 to get rid of the fat & really reveal it, I'm just starting to feel pudgy. We'll seeeee! I'd love to be able to compete as bikini at some point!

I just found a PDF of that and it's quite the compendium. Which plan from the book have you been following?

I started at level one and now I’m about a month into level two (I don’t have my notes at the moment). Its designed to be followed in order. You might have a bad download if you can’t find it, there’s only one plan (separated into “levels” to progressively build without being totally overwhelmed/incapable).

Just to make sure we're talking about the same document; The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding : The Bible of Bodybuilding. What I'm seeing is within "Book Two", Ch.3 is the Basic Program with two levels and Ch.5 is the Advanced Training Program.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Cutting. Went from 109 to 127 I’m hoping that at 117ish I’ll see the benefits of my work without needing to cut further down. Wish me luck!

18 pounds in three months? I'm assuming that you are female as most men don't want to compete in "bikini". ;)

That's a pretty solid bulk. I hope you are right and most of that sticks. Good luck!

on another note: I failed my 3 plate bench... tweaked my wrist a bit too since I didn't wear my brace or wrap them. However, I'm not too depressed about the failed attempt. I actually think I may have made it on Monday if I had tried then as that felt like one of my best days in the gym ever. Felt incredibly strong. Yesterday, well - didn't quite feel as good and still tight from Monday. Anyhow, I failed on the last three or four inches and lockout even though I ended up with my butt pretty far off the bench. lol

Getting close... I'll get it.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    edited January 2020
    So far so good... Another week and about another 0.5lbs or so...

Still able to keep my waist < 31", and my abdomen pinch roughly the same...

My upper body measurements over this time have been slowly and modestly increasing although I'm adding more weight to the bar so that's good...

What has really grown are my legs... Like maybe 1.5-2" in the last several months...

I always knew that the key to gaining weight and doing lean was going to be legs... Knees are sore but manageable...

Some days I track food, some days I don't...
    My ultimate goal is to bulk up to around 190-195lbs, and do it so well and so gradually... That I'll never need to cut again ✌🏼

Eta: In the mirror, I feel like I look lean as ever really 🤷🏽‍♂️
  • psuLemon
    Been sick all week, barely have worked out and on work travel next week. Hardcore tracking when i get back.
  • Coach says I get to do a mini-cut when I hit 200 lbs. Six more pounds! I can't wait. Who'da thunk a person can get sick of food?!?

Just browsed your profile. Girl.

👏👏👏👊💪
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    I think I am done with the weight loss. I am about 0.5lb from goal (a goal which I just randomly made up anyhow) I still have higher bodyfat than I would like but at this point I am happy with my shape, just want to see if I can recomp to tighten up and build a little bit. I have low expectations even if I maintain what I have it's fine too. I might do a small cut in July/August to get ready to bulk in the fall if I need to. I really have to make sure to push it in the gym and get my workouts in.

This week I have been eating a bit more, so hopefully I will officially be in maintenance by next week.

Any chance of a blog post to outline where you stand and what the goals are? Always enjoy your post and the progress you made is amazing to see.
  • sardelsa
    @AmbitiousButRubbish I will try my best to get around to it! Thanks for all your support, means a lot. I am glad someone reads them, even if it's just one person :p
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    @sardelsa Of course! Your blog is great. Its easy to get in great shape when you have lots of time. Way more amazing when there are kids in the picture. With 3 I'm amazed you even have time to work out. Gives me hope that some day I might actually get to my goal if someone else can do it in a similar situation.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    @sardelsa, I'll admit to reading your blog at least as often as you've updated it! :D