Easy Dinner Ideas

Eating so much chicken I feel like I will be clucking any day now. What lower calorie dinners do you folks make? Need something different. My family only does red meat once a week. Any delicious idea is welcome!

Replies

• sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I made egg salad sandwiches last night - yum! I like tuna salad as well.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited January 2020
    Fish, shrimp, pork, beans
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    Ground Turkey Chili
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,515 Member
    Do you have a crockpot? I put a frozen pork roast and some sauerkraut in the crockpot before I left for work this morning. We'll have that for dinner tonight along with a Veggie Steamers (probably brussel sprouts) and either noodles or leftover mashed potatoes.

Soups and stews are also great in the crockpot. You can prep them the night before, or even a few days before and then literally just set it and forget it.

What about breakfast for dinner? Fry up a few eggs and some bacon and done!
  • lorimill1973
    lorimill1973 Posts: 22 Member
    spaghetti squash shrimp scampi
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Assuming pork=red meat, options for a main dinner protein include: fish, shellfish, turkey, beans or lentils, tofu, tempeh. I also sometimes do an egg-based dinner, such as omelets. There are legume-based pastas which have enough protein that you might be able to not add some other main protein or just a small amount.

There are also lots of interesting chicken dishes, especially if you don't limit yourself to boneless, skinless chicken breast. One I like is a tagine. Here's one example: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016987-daniel-bouluds-chicken-tagine, but there are many.
  • Omg shrimp is an amazing idea!! You guys are awesome! Obsessed with egg salad that’s a really good one too! Fish and shrimp are scary to cook but I’m going to look up some recipes and try! Actually think I’m going to try lentils too!!! Thank you!
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Soups, sauceless pastas, black bean burgers, regular burgers, quesadillas, and stir fry are the big things that come to mind.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    When I want an easy dinner I have a breakfast-for-dinner meal, ex: eggs and some kind of potato and pork.

I work from home so other easy dinners involve getting something into my slow cooker at lunch time and then it is ready as soon as I'm off work. (Bigger cuts of meat could be started earlier in the day, but I mostly use boneless chicken thighs, which take about 5 hours in my recipes for meals like Chicken Cacciatore.)
  • Candy_lilacs
    Candy_lilacs Posts: 21 Member
    Sheet pan shrimp fajitas, taco salad using ground turkey, stuffed peppers.
  • Love_2_Hike
    Love_2_Hike Posts: 103 Member
    At the moment I'm putting a piece of frozen crumbed fish and a few sweet potato chips in the air fryer. Eat with a salad. Comes in at about 350 calories
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    Ground turkey with taco seasoning , stuffed in romaine lettuce with black beans, salsa, fat free sour cream, taste delicious, could also add a little instant rice if you like. Quick, easy, low calorie, high protein
    • Buffalo chicken lettuce wraps (can be made in crock pot or instant pot - changes up the flavor a lot from reg ol' chicken. Literally just chicken breasts + ranch seasoning + buffalo sauce. I add Bolthouse ranch and chopped green onions on top for extra flavor. If you have non-dieters in your house, they can add the chicken to a bun/tortilla to make a buffalo chicken sandwich/taco.)
    • Chicken/tofu/beef broccoli stir fry (great if you have other people in the house that aren't dieting because you can add rice to their portions to make it more filling. I usually prep some chicken on Sunday so I can throw together stir fry dinners on busier nights. Just add teriyaki sauce + a little soy sauce + a lot of ginger/garlic powder.)
    • Breakfast for dinner (eggs/egg whites, turkey sausage, reduced fat cheese, all mixed together)
    • Honey soy glazed salmon w/broccoli (or w/e veg)
    • Chili (Crock pot meal - meat + beans + corn + tomato sauce + diced tomatoes + spices)
    • Instant pot roast (piece of beef + onion soup mix + brown gravy mix + tiny potatoes, add cornstarch to end liquid to make a gravy)
  • madre715
    madre715 Posts: 2 Member
    We were kind of feeling the same way. So I decided to sit down and write down our daily dinner plans to see where I could change it up. We’ve started rotating chicken, fish, red meat, and meatless meals so we don’t feel bored with dinner time. By meatless, we might just have a salad and soup (tomato or even just a broth) and add some shaved cheese on top.). It just helped add some variety.

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Almost any slow cooker recipe, I picked up a couple of second hand cook books "Without the Calories" by Justine Pattison that has some great tasty meals that you can tweak to your own tastes.

I quite like a couple of meat free meals here and there too - Saag Paneer is a yummy one (Spinach & Garlic based curry with paneer cheese), Dhaal, Falafel with Hummus, Marinated Mushroom or Spicy Bean Burgers.
  • Troutrouter1968
    Troutrouter1968 Posts: 122 Member
    During the week, it's grilled chicken with some sort of veggie.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    We have a gazillion recipes saved to Pinterest. We sit down every weekend to go over recipes to see what we want to make for dinners during the week and we usually make sure at least two of those will also provide leftovers for a couple of lunches. After that we go shopping for what we need and any other staples that are missing. This cuts down on waste as well as the grocery bill and also keeps things interesting.

There's a gazillion ways to make chicken, but there's also a whole world out there beyond chicken. We eat a lot of Cod, Salmon, shrimp, chicken, some lean cuts of beef and pork and do all kinds of things with veggies, wild rices, potatoes, etc. We usually have one or two vegetarian entrees every week as well.

Dieting and healthy eating definitely doesn't have to be endless chicken and broccoli...it doesn't have to be or get boring.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    f8gkusevcf8c.png