Modified PHUL programming - is this just as effective?

I downloaded the PHUL Workout mobile app and tried following the recommended schedule but find that I can only commit 30-45 min per day to lifting so I end up not finishing the prescribed workout. I pause that workout and continue the second part the next day. I’m supposed to have a rest day after upper and lower power days but I figure that only doing half the workout is enough rest for me? Here is the weekly cycle below. If you have experience with following PHUL, please advise if this modification isn’t optimal and if so, what would you suggest? Thanks
Day 1 - upper power 1
Day 2 - upper power 2
Day 3 - lower power 1
Day 4 - lower power 2
Day 5 - upper hypertrophy 1
Day 6 - upper hypertrophy 2
Day 7 - lower hypertrophy 1
Day 1 - lower hypertrophy 2
Day 2 - upper power 1
..and so on..

Replies

• I ran phul for 6 months. I thought it was ok as a programme. I’m guessing it’s probably less than optimal the way you want to do it but if it’s the only way you can schedule your training...

Are you sure you can’t manage an hours session? . I could get most of the upper work done in an hour. The lower sessions took longer as I recall.
  • chromilo
    chromilo Posts: 33 Member
    I ran phul for 6 months. I thought it was ok as a programme. I’m guessing it’s probably less than optimal the way you want to do it but if it’s the only way you can schedule your training...

Are you sure you can’t manage an hours session? . I could get most of the upper work done in an hour. The lower sessions took longer as I recall.

I’ve been on it for 3 months now and it’s ok. There are more accessories in this prpgram than the Texas Method that I did last. I wish I can go faster and finish a workout quicker but it’s hard. I do the workouts during lunch break on weekdays and weekends are packed with kid’s activities. Thanks for the reply.

• chromilo
    chromilo Posts: 33 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I am running PHUL. Now into week 14. I find now things are heavy and a workout is typically 1:20min for me. If I did not have time to get the full workout in, I would split up like you did, or grab something else that is proven. I am no expert but I dont see a rest day at all, and once things get heavy, you will want to rest.

Ok thanks, I have added some active rest days in between. I started in late October 2019 and I think I’ll do PHUL for another 3 months and then find something else after.

Day 1 - upper power 1
    Day 2 - upper power 2
    Day 3 - lower power 1
    Day 4 - lower power 2
    Day 5 - swimming
    Day 6 - upper hypertrophy 1
    Day 7 - upper hypertrophy 2
    Day 1 - lower hypertrophy 1
    Day 2 - lower hypertrophy 2
    Day 3 - yoga
    Day 4 - upper power 1
    ..and so on..