Keto Questions

I am looking to see if someone can assist with reviewing my diary to ensure I am making the best choices for Keto. I feel like it is working, but I want to maximize the benefits and ensure I am eating as best as possible.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    You don't have your diary open, but if you open it I will be happy to take a look.

Why are you doing keto and/or what method of keto are you using?
  • josephkauffman2
    josephkauffman2 Posts: 7 Member
    You don't have your diary open, but if you open it I will be happy to take a look.

Why are you doing keto and/or what method of keto are you using?

Thank you for offering to take a look. I opened the diary up, so you should be able to see it now.

I am doing Keto at this stage to lose weight, and I am not really sure how to answer the second part of the question. I just looked up some simple guidelines online and started adjusting my diet to fall in line with Keto.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Do you have specific goals for carbohydrates? I ask because they seemed higher than what I'd expect to see for someone on keto.
  • josephkauffman2
    I was trying to stay at 25g, but found it be tough at this point, as I am still learning about the gross carbs vs. net carbs, so I increased it to be 10% or 46g/day.
  • josephkauffman2
    Thanks all for the feedback.

I stopped eating full eggs for digestive reasons. The yolk doesn’t sit well, so the doctors recommended cutting them out, and it has worked pretty well.

I am not married to the idea of Keto, I am more so trying to adjust my eating habits. I had a very carb heavy diet (pasta, pretzels, bread) and wasn’t focusing on eating healthier, so I am using this as a way to introduce new foods, and once I feel comfortable, both in weight and carb control I plan to reintroduce certain carbs.

As for the beer and orange juice... the beer was a short night turned long, and the orange juice was for recovering haha. I logged it as a reminder how carb heavy they are and to keep myself honest.

Thanks again for the feedback, I’ll check out all the recommendations!
  • josephkauffman2
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    You might want to just try lower carb -- something like 100-120.

My carbs are average around 50. I had one day in the past week where I went way over, and that was the night I went out drinking.
  • josephkauffman2
    Are you saying to increase carbs to 100-120, and balance fat and protein from there?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Are you saying to increase carbs to 100-120, and balance fat and protein from there?

Yeah, it sounds like that would meet your reasons for doing it just as well.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member

While that is perfectly acceptable, I'm more inclined to focus on aiming for a consistent daily protein goal (0.8g-1.2g of protein of ideal body weight), and balancing fat and carbs to fit within your calorie goal.

If carb sources for you are usually from processed food, meaning they come pre-packaged from a box, carton, or bottle, then you could set daily consistent protein and carb goals, and just allow fat to be balanced for the remainder.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I would say that if the goal is to eat a more nutrient dense diet, then identifying goals for doing that might be a better way to start than just cutting carbs -- eating more protein is a good goal, adding in vegetables and fruit and other nutrient-dense sources of carbs, as well as healthy fats, would be others.

But if simply making the default diet hard to fall back on, because carbs are limited and other sources of cals must be found, lower carb could help. I just think there's no need to try to do keto if the purpose isn't because you think keto specifically would help for some reason.
  • josephkauffman2
    Thanks all for the great feedback. I have a lot to consider.

I am proud to say I am down 10 pounds today, and have stayed away from heavy carbs for nearly two weeks.

I have been thinking more about what I want, and I think it boils down to, I need a major change in my eating habits. I was sitting on the couch eating a bag of chips and then looking for more food, now I am preparing home cooked meals, eating three times a day (mostly) and making better choices about what I eat. I think keto for me was more about a change in eating habits rather than actually dieting. While the weight loss is great, and I have 15 more to go to hit my goal, I am more proud of the changes I have made.

Again, thank you all for the great input and advice! I will use bits of all of it to find the right nutritional plan for me and keep this progress going forward.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    You might want to just try lower carb -- something like 100-120.

This is what I'm doing,too little carbs too fast makes me sick and makes my insomnia worse! Like the op says I'm just trying to develop better eating habits