Where to start

I put in my weight and mfp says I should eat at 1200 isn’t that low how do you know that’s a good number. I have a lot of weight to lose

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    What is your age, gender, starting weight, current weight and height?
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    MFP recommends the following weight loss per week:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb/week is ideal
    If you have 15-25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lb/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lb/week is ideal

Without knowing your stats, you may have selected a weight loss rate that is too high. And as @LyndaBSS said above, if you provide your stats we can assist further.
  • rwilliam8302
    rwilliam8302 Posts: 8 Member
    I’m not sure what to have my weight loss at
  • LiftNRiot
    LiftNRiot Posts: 463 Member
    Start at the beginning
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    I’m not sure what to have my weight loss at

Look at the chart in the post above this one.

Determine how far above a healthy BMI are you currently and you'll know the approximate rate of loss to use.
  • rwilliam8302
    rwilliam8302 Posts: 8 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    My age is 43, female, 234 starting weight 228 current weight and my height is 5’2”
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited June 2020
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    My age is 43, female, 234 starting weight 228 current weight and my height is 5’2”

Use that to enter your info into mfp and let that help calculate your calories. Remember to log any exercise calories separate and eat back those calories. Set your activity level without your included exercise.

Faster weight loss is not always the best approach. I still have 70 lbs to lose and I have my weight loss set at 1 lb a week.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    You probably put in a goal to lose 2 pounds per week, because it is so enticing to lose as fast as possible. Its just not always realistic. It is often better to aim for a more gradual weight loss, to find a process you can maintain. This is a long game.

If you have a sedentary job/lifestyle then your body probably uses about 2000 calories per day (based on your stats). If your job has you on your feet a decent amount, then it may be more like 2250. To lose 2 pounds per week you need to reduce that # by 1000. In your scenario, its just not realistic. A goal of 1 pound per week would probably put you around 1500-1750, or a goal of 1.5 pounds per week around 1250-1500.

Consider this:

Scenario A: you aim for the most weight loss possible, try to eat only 1200/day but within a few weeks feel like your food is too restrictive and you get frustrated. You either have days where you binge majorly and wipe out the progress made in the last week or two, or you give up totally and revert back to old habits. In 6 months you've put on another 10-20 pounds and your health is suffering and you figure you should give it another try.

Scenario B: you aim for 1 pound per week, which allows you a little more calories to consume per day. You can stick with 1500-1750 with a little planning and effort, and can even work in treats here & there. You make slow but steady progress and in a few months time you are down 10-15 pounds. You find you have more energy, and perhaps you start becoming more active which helps the weight loss process and improves your overall health. In 6 months you are at/around/right under 200 and can look back and be proud of the work you've done. And you can look forward knowing you've got this under control and will continue to lose weight and be healthier.