Help With Slow Metabolism

Options
Hey, guys! So I just started my fitness journey (Four gym days in the last week, including 3 fitness classes!) and I'm struggling with my appetite. I have an extremely slow metabolism. Before starting my gym membership, I could comfortably eat one large meal every 36 hours or so and never feel hunger pangs. My appetite hasn't changed, but my body is beginning to tell me how not okay this is for an active lifestyle.

Any ideas on how to get myself to be hungry more often? I have a sensitive stomach, so "just eat at normal meal times" doesn't work for me. It'll make me sick if I eat a proper meal when I'm not actually hungry. TIA!

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    What is your height, weight, goals, calorie goal?

One thing people needing to eat more cals often do is drink them. Have you thought about adding in some homemade smoothies (the kind with protein and fat, as well as carbs)? Adding high fat foods helps in general -- how about some nut butter or nuts? IME you don't really need to be all that hungry to eat them. Protein bars might be something to check out too, or Kind bars.

But mainly if your appetite really is so low you are only hungry every 36 hours, I'd check it out at the doctor.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Normally I recommend exercise as a metabolism boost, but you are exercising. This sounds like an issue for a medical professional.

Meanwhile, I agree with lemurcat's suggestion for smoothies. A smoothie with peanut butter, banana, chocolate protein powder, and the liquid of your choice (I like coffee) can pack a calorie wallop yet go down easily. Obviously if you hate any of those ingredients don't use them - the point is that you may find it easy to get calories from high calorie foods like peanut butter, especially in liquid form.
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    When I had digestive surgery the best way for me to get my daily nutrition and calories without being able to really eat, was premier protein shakes. They sell it at Sam's and Walmart, and they have about 10 flavors all of which are delicious.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I concur with liquid calories and seeing a doctor.

What I have learned about my own hunger signals is that if I do not break my nighttime fast with 250 or more calories I can often go an entire day without eating or experiencing hunger. I have no reason to suspect I have a slow metabolism though.

Oddly if I eat in the morning I can find my hunger hard to control the rest of the day.

Yep. I've noticed this as well.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Anyway, I'm another recommendation for both seeing the doctor and drinking the necessary calories as a protein shake or broth. Sometimes when my appetite is low, I have to set alarms to remind me to suck down a shake, but after a while my body gets used to the intake and usually my appetite will recover - assuming medical intervention wasn't required.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    One thing that makes you hungry— wakes up your hunger— is a piece of candy about 20 minutes before you want to eat.
    Some candies work better than others.