fiber

what is a good - and tasty - and painless - way to add fiber to my diet? am open to fiber "bar" recommendations also. I also cannot do inulin.

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Metamucil crackers
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I get most of my fiber from vegetables and beans.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Fiber One soft cookies are good.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,992 Member
    Fruits, vegetables, beans and whole grains (i.e. oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa, etc) are all great sources of fiber. Agree with going slow since too much at one time can cause gas/bloating, abdominal discomfort and sometimes constipation (temporary and if not drinking enough fluids). Using supplements are only going to net you an extra 3-5 grams per serving and are not as beneficial as whole food sources.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    oats, beans, lentils, other whole grains (brown or wild rice, whole wheat pasta, quinoa, etc), veg, fruit
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Vitafusion Fiber Gummies. 1 have 10 calories, 7 grams of carbs, 5 grams of fiber.
  • amckholmes
    amckholmes Posts: 119 Member
    Chia seeds and flax seeds - lots of ways to add them to what you are already eating. But I definitely agree with the advice about gradually building up to a good high intake, you have to train your body :)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member

Yeah, vegetables, beans, some berries, avocados, plus some from grains and nuts/seeds.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Yeah, vegetables, beans, some berries, avocados, plus some from grains and nuts/seeds.

Same here...
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Literally was logging my tablespoon of Nature's Path SmartBran™ Cereal when I saw this. A little goes a long way, it's slightly sweet without blowing up your daily sugar limit and you can have it as cereal or toppings for just about anything. Other than that, as many have said: start low and go slow. Allow yourself at least two weeks to get to your daily goal.
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    Semi dried prunes on top of porridge is a lush fibre and carb food. My pre-ride go to.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    pretty much all plant-based whole foods (i.e., not oil expressed from plants, or protein isolates derived from plants, or refined flours and sugars from plants, etc.).
  • I try and eat 25-30 grams of fiber per day for digestive health (per doctor's recommendation). For a big boost I eat Mission Carb Balance Whole Wheat Wraps/Tortillas. They have a whopping 15 grams of fiber with only 70 cal./18 carbs per tortilla (and they are big!). They are very filling and make a good snack. I supplement my daily intake with beans, grains, berries (especially raspberries) and fibrous vegetables such as asparagus. I can usually obtain my fiber goal on a 1200 cal. diet.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    Fiber One cereal or All Bran are my go to sources...add blueberries and 1% milk and it's tasty too.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    I’ve been eating 647 bread by Schmidt’s. It’s got 7 grams of fiber per slice and only 40 cals. Doesn’t taste like much but as a carrier for peanut butter or avocado it’s not bad. Two slices at breakfast bring me almost halfway to fiber goal.
    Also, oikos triple zero Greek yogurt has seven grams fiber from chicory root extract and 15 G protein.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    amckholmes wrote: »
    Chia seeds and flax seeds - lots of ways to add them to what you are already eating. But I definitely agree with the advice about gradually building up to a good high intake, you have to train your body :)

Was going to say this exact thing!

I’ll also add - dried fruit.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Ouch. Made a big mistake!! Oikos triple zero only has 3 grams of fiber!!!
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    I just realized I had a typo in my previous post.
    2 gummies, not 1 is the serving size. Perhaps that’s why someone hit the disagree button 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • MyrnaSolganick
    MyrnaSolganick Posts: 60 Member
    The gummies give me...gastric discomfort.