January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    @Avidkeo I love Parkrun. Now that my leg is doing better I’m hoping to go back starting this weekend. I hadn’t really considered it a race but I suppose it is. Our group goes out for coffee each week while the volunteers post the results,

Ours do the same. I love the fact they have Parkrun all over and you can just hop into one. Like this coming Saturday I'm visiting family, so gonna do the one in this town.

I wish we had more parkruns in my area....
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    I've actually heard/read several times now that "breaking in" running shoes is overrated or even possibly a myth. I don't know about that, but I do prefer to have actually worn them on a long run before running an important, long race in them.

I find that breaking in shoes isn't necessary, but it's a good idea to get a good test-run, in case of defects.

I find the first several runs with new shoes suck almost as much as the last few will. I have run races in brand new shoes, but I much prefer to have a few weeks in them first.

As always, shoes are very individual so YMMV and etc. :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i haven't yet needed to break in my shoes
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member
    @TheMrWobbly - as others have said if you wear both pairs equally in training they will wear out at about the same time. I have had shoes I wore to over 700 miles and others that didn't make it to 300. It just depends on the shoe and how you run in it. I would not count on them lasting until 450. If they do then that is great, bonus miles, but I typically start looking for a new pair around 300 so I have them when I need them. Also depending on how often you are running you could try using one pair most of the time and only occasionally wearing the 2nd pair so it doesn't have as much wear on it but still gives your primary pair a break to recover.
    As far as breaking them in - I have never felt the need to break in running shoes either but I would never ever wear a new pair of shoes, or anything else new, on race day. If you haven't run a distance equal to your race at least once in your kit you are asking for issues. That goes for fuel (GU's, Bloks, jelly beans, gummy bears, etc.) too.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    enaliba wrote: »
    1 /9-1.8 miles C25K wk1day1
    1/13-1.7 miles C25K wk1day1
    1/15-1.6 miles C25K wk1day2
    1/17-1.8 miles C25K wk1day3
    1/20-1.8 miles C25K wk2day1
    1/22-2.1 miles C25K wk2day2...hard to make myself get going but it was a good session. Regarding the marathon conversation, I don’t know when I’ll consider myself “a runner,” but hoping it won’t take a marathon!

1. Run an average of 1 mile per day (and walk many more than that) in January.
    exercise.png
    2. Loose 20 pounds in 2020.
    weight.png

March 14-CloudForestSchool 5K
    June 13-Helvetia 10K

Abi

You are running. You are a runner. I personally didn’t feel like a runner until after I hit the 20 minute run in c25k. Looking back, I feel that day 1 was the beginning of my journey as a runner.

I was just about to say pretty much the same thing. Running a mile a day sounds like running to me - and if you're running... that makes you a runner!

@TheMrWobbly about the shoes, last year I ended up having to get a new pair of shoes and break them in on just a few runs before my marathon, because my 2 rotated pairs wore out and started causing issues, literally weeks apart. The new shoes ended up being fine, but I had to order them last minute and it added stress that I didn't need. I recommend what Pastor Vincent said, OR have a new pair on standby in case you need them. Wear them a couple times on short and long runs to make sure they're ok, then set them aside.

I've actually heard/read several times now that "breaking in" running shoes is overrated or even possibly a myth. I don't know about that, but I do prefer to have actually worn them on a long run before running an important, long race in them.

@TheMrWobbly if rotating them means both pairs will be worn out by the time the marathon rolls around, you need a 3rd pair. 3vwn if you don't roatae them, you will still need a 3rd pair by then because in theory they will have done the same miles regardless.

I have never had to "break in" running shoes and do hold the belief if they need breaking in then they aren't right for your feet. Example I got a brand new pair of Asics on Tuesday, then wore them the following day for a 10k run. They felt just as good as old faithfuls. But then it depends on what exactly you mean by breaking in.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Speaking of putting off registering for races, I need WI and MI still and was thinking about doing the "Earn Your Mittens" challenge (Wisconsin Marathon on 5/2 and Kalamazoo Marathon on 5/3). A part of me really wants to, but the other part knows that there is no way I'll get 5/1 off from work and I will get zero sleep before because I'll have to travel to WI overnight for the race. Maybe I'll do that another year. :(

Have you considered the Marquette Marathon for MI? I ran it in 2015 and highly recommend it. I think it's on Labor Day weekend. The weather was unseasonably hot the year that I ran it but the first part is on a nice shady trail. Very well organized event.

Not sure. By Mar., I'll have the entire southeast and midwest, except WI and MI and ND. Since WI and MI are so close to each other, I like the idea of combining them for a double. With an official double granting a 3rd medal, the Earn Your Mittens Challenge just fits so perfectly.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    @rheddmobile

Yes, cold weather long runs always make me so hungry! I'm not sure if I'm actually burning that many more calories staying warm, but my brain certainly seems to think I am.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    @rheddmobile

Yes, cold weather long runs always make me so hungry! I'm not sure if I'm actually burning that many more calories staying warm, but my brain certainly seems to think I am.

me too.
    i only did 8 monday and i still want to eat everything in sight
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    @rheddmobile

me too.

Me three.
    I tend to be especially ravenous this time of year, and it doesn't matter how long the run is.
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Tramboman wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    @rheddmobile

me too.

Me three.
    I tend to be especially ravenous this time of year, and it doesn't matter how long the run is.

Me four! A big yes.