Eliminating Sodium and Meat

I had a doctor visit yesterday, everything is great!
Except, my blood pressure seems to be in the higher side lately.
My doctor wants me to consider cutting down my sodium intake to 1500MG a day max
which is a bit difficult. I need help from you lovely people with fun veggie easy recipes.
I have an instapot and I am a good cook,so I am into doing it, but I just dont' want to make
things that require 30 ingredients. I like easy things, but dislike olives and egg plant.
Any help, tips, recipes would be greatly appreciated. I love seafood and fish.
I do eat meat, but Dr. wants me to stay away from it as much as possible. I want to too :)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Pinterest has a ton of great vegetarian/vegan Instant Pot recipes. One of my favorite recipe creators is Vegan Richa. Most of her recipes don't have a ton of ingredients and you should be easily able to tweak them to reduce the sodium.
  • megaabel
    megaabel Posts: 5 Member
    awesome! I will look into
    Vegan Richa asap :) Thanks @janejellyroll
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    You can reduce sodium intake without eliminating meat completely since dietary protein is necessary for optimal organ function and repair.

Processed (pre-packaged/prepared) meats are usually loaded with sodium for curing or preservation, but if you were to cook your own fresh cuts of seafood and meat, you would be able to season it yourself within the sodium limits that your doctor has prescribed.

It's just a suggestion if you do not have any kidney issues, though, if you prefer to eat a plant-based diet, then more power to you.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Depending on where you live I suggest looking into very lean meat from a local butcher. If you have access to goat or lamb they are both very lean red meats. We raise meat goats and my family prefers the goat to any other red meat.
  • megaabel
    megaabel Posts: 5 Member
    @gearhead426hemi I live in West Hollywood, Ca. We are lucky to get pretty much any cut of meat we want from any animal, but I am actually trying not to eat any red meat for 2020. :) I will stick to fish and veggies for now. Thanks!