Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Stop Using Your Devices in the Sauna

rachsoderberg
rachsoderberg Posts: 55 Member
The United States seems to be the only place where the sauna is not enjoyed as a meditative and restorative part of your routine. People show up in their sneakers and fully clothed with headphones blaring, scrolling facebook and instagram, instead of taking some time to unplug and just enjoy the moment (and let the people around them do the same).

I go to the sauna after my workouts to meditate and have some quiet thinking time to allow my body to enter a recuperative parasympathetic state... but I have yet to have a dry sauna session where there isn't at least one person in there listening to loud headphones, possibly even tapping their feet to the beat.

So I'm making a call to everyone - leave your devices in your lockers. Not only is it better for you to unplug and get used to some "unentertained" time (seriously, it's only 15mins for the average person), it's not putting unnecessary heat wear on your device. It's also considerate to the people who have to share the sauna with you.

Replies

• rachsoderberg
    There was a man loudly singing gospel in the sauna once... Gotta love mass chain gyms.
  • jeepmanromero
    jeepmanromero Posts: 111 Member
    I end my workout in the sauna and steam room. Hard to see the screen and the phone gets to hot. I leave mine in the locker. Still it can be a distraction so you can make your goal time.
  • rachsoderberg
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Is this already covered by policy? I can't imagine the owners being ok with any sort of recording device being used in a locker room or sauna.

The rules do state that you're not allowed to take video or photographs in the locker rooms and saunas, but sometimes they get wishy washy when it comes to just the device itself being present. "Well as long as they're not taking pictures they're fine" tends to be the answer. I guess it would be impossible to regulate anyways, without someone actively monitoring the area.
  • rachsoderberg
    Still it can be a distraction so you can make your goal time.

I imagine that's why most people do it, and I suppose I understand, but part of the experience (for me at least) is learning to stand a bit of discomfort - both having to live with being warm, and bear being unentertained for x amount of time.

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    And sometimes, you have no idea when someone is recording your conversation. Blind trust with blurred lines. Mmm hmm.
  • rachsoderberg
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    That is MY relaxation. I am fully clothed in the sauna as it is a coed sauna. There are people in there that exercise situps, pushups whatever that is THEIR thing.

I wouldn't expect everyone in a public sauna to abide to what I want them to do. If I have issues I would build my own private sauna.

It's not so much the scrolling or device in hand that bothers me (I close my eyes most of the time), but the sound of the person's headphones. Some people you can make out the full lyrics it's so loud, while others a quiet bump bump bump beat is just as annoying. I do appreciate that you realized how loud it can seem in such a silent enclosed space and turned yours down! I wish more people could be that considerate!

The sauna I go to is co-ed as well, but it's still strange to me to be in more clothes than you'd be wearing on a hot day or at the pool. Seems incredibly uncomfortable!

As for building my own sauna... If only that were a feasible option for the majority of people :D I wish every day that I could, but I guarantee my landlord would not allow it lol
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    That is MY relaxation. I am fully clothed in the sauna as it is a coed sauna. There are people in there that exercise situps, pushups whatever that is THEIR thing.

I wouldn't expect everyone in a public sauna to abide to what I want them to do. If I have issues I would build my own private sauna.

It's not so much the scrolling or device in hand that bothers me (I close my eyes most of the time), but the sound of the person's headphones. Some people you can make out the full lyrics it's so loud, while others a quiet bump bump bump beat is just as annoying. I do appreciate that you realized how loud it can seem in such a silent enclosed space and turned yours down! I wish more people could be that considerate!

The sauna I go to is co-ed as well, but it's still strange to me to be in more clothes than you'd be wearing on a hot day or at the pool. Seems incredibly uncomfortable!

As for building my own sauna... If only that were a feasible option for the majority of people :D I wish every day that I could, but I guarantee my landlord would not allow it lol

;)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Is this already covered by policy? I can't imagine the owners being ok with any sort of recording device being used in a locker room or sauna.

The rules do state that you're not allowed to take video or photographs in the locker rooms and saunas, but sometimes they get wishy washy when it comes to just the device itself being present. "Well as long as they're not taking pictures they're fine" tends to be the answer. I guess it would be impossible to regulate anyways, without someone actively monitoring the area.

My gym had a similar policy, but one woman (friend of mine) noticed some unusual activity and reported another woman in the family changing rooms. She quietly told someone to get management and they confronted her and secured the phone.

https://www.kenoshanews.com/news/woman-pleads-guilty-in-secret-video-case/article_8cc24161-e295-5e78-a572-bcf3f13075ae.html

Not saying this happens everywhere, but it happens more often than we like to believe. Be careful.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Personally, it's one of the few moments I have where I could have the opportunity to sit in absolute silence with no disruptions or responsibilities, and it's frustrating to have that stolen from me.

Isn't that what the toilet is for☹?[/quote]

Social media goes everywhere. ;) Everyone's thumbs need a rest. Sigh. Someone did record my conversation on the sly. Quite the sneaky-snake and we are done. The end.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    I don't use sauna at my center, the hot tub is plenty warm for me and I leave phone in locker when I use that and pool. I have phone when I walk but to play music or audiobooks.