Swimming - Satan’s exercise?

Replies

• mgeeq
    mgeeq Posts: 21 Member
    Swimming is my favorite!

I have sciatica and am recovering from a ruptured Achilles tendon. Swimming is making me feel strong and healthy again.

It's no-impact, cardio, resistance-training all-in-one. It works all the major muscle groups. Plus, I find it very meditative. I compete against myself and keep trying to improve my form, my time/lap, and my overall time-in-the-pool.

I'm entirely self-taught and I look up tips all the time to get better. I'd much rather be in a pool than doing any other form of exercise. But that's me. You have to find your own jam and spread it thickly!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Interesting because 3000yds in the pool for me in an hour burns about 400cal.

That seems like a low estimate. But, who knows for sure? I currently let my Garmin watch estimate the calories, which gives a lower estimate than this:

http://www.swimmingcalculator.com/swim_calories_calculator.php

The above says that I'd burn 900kcals if I swam at my standard freestyle pace (2 minutes per 100m) for an hour. That is very close to running or cycling!

(Again, who know's if it's right?)
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    edited January 2020
    I'm not an excellent form swimmer by any means, but I think I burn a decent amount of calories while swimming. I wasn't terribly hungry either, and the water is cold for me. My husband tore three ligaments in his ankle/heel and swimming is the only exercise besides physio that he can do right now so I've been going with him instead of using the gym. We both drop more weight after a good swim. I still do my dumbbell workouts at home, but swimming is really working well for us. I'd be interested to have a water proof calorie counter to see how much we actually burn. I thought MFP over exaggerated so I said I just treaded water the whole time and used those calories.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Care76 wrote: »
    I'm not an excellent form swimmer by any means, but I think I burn a decent amount of calories while swimming. I wasn't terribly hungry either, and the water is cold for me. My husband tore three ligaments in his ankle/heel and swimming is the only exercise besides physio that he can do right now so I've been going with him instead of using the gym. We both drop more weight after a good swim. I still do my dumbbell workouts at home, but swimming is really working well for us. I'd be interested to have a water proof calorie counter to see how much we actually burn. I thought MFP over exaggerated so I said I just treaded water the whole time and used those calories.

I checked a couple of online swimming calculators and took the average of what they said for breast stroke at 1 mph. I then looked at the MFP entries and found that "Swimming-Leisurely-General" was the closest to that average so I use that entry.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    I'm still learning. What I noticed:

I'm constantly thirsty
    I'm constantly peeing afterwards
    I'm starving afterwards.

Maybe its because the pool I go to is indoors but unheated and I spend the first 20 minutes of the class shivering in the shallow end. Otherwise I enjoy it for the social aspect.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Oh no dude, swimming is very good for you. Ignore naysayers. It works on your strength and your endurance and it also makes your lungs stronger. If Satan gets in the pool, you'll notice the water boiling, but short of that I think you'll be fine. XD
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member

I'm constantly thirsty
    I'm starving afterwards.

Maybe its because the pool I go to is indoors but unheated and I spend the first 20 minutes of the class shivering in the shallow end. Otherwise I enjoy it for the social aspect.

I'd suggest you start moving immediately when you hit the water. I've seen other people ease in and suffer cold and I always tell them to start moving. If you're waiting for a class to begin jog in place.
  • Thanks, everybody! Great input. Impressed at how enthusiastic so many people are about swimming for exercise. I can’t wait to get started. 👍🏻
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2020

I'm constantly thirsty
    I'm starving afterwards.

I'd suggest you start moving immediately when you hit the water. I've seen other people ease in and suffer cold and I always tell them to start moving. If you're waiting for a class to begin jog in place.

Yup. I learned to swim in a lake in town. Lessons started in early June and the lake is spring fed and in Wisconsin so the water was pretty cold that time of year. The first thing we did in every class was "bobs" where you went in the water to your shoulders and jumped up and down. Loosened the muscles and warmed up the body.

On the other hand, during the hot, still dog days of August that cool water was soooooo refreshing.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited January 2020
    It strikes me as so odd when I hear about adults who are learning to swim!

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to belittle non swimmers, but just the concept of not being able to swim from from the age of being a toddler is just so foreign to me it's hard to wrap my head around.

Maybe it's a Australian thing or a growing up near the coast thing because in my 45 years on this earth I don't think I've ever come across someone over the age of 3 or 4 that couldn't swim.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Danp wrote: »
    It strikes me as so odd when I hear about adults who are learning to swim!

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to belittle non swimmers, but just the concept of not being able to swim from from the age of being a toddler is just so foreign to me it's hard to wrap my head around.

Maybe it's a Australian thing or a growing up near the coast thing because in my 45 years on this earth I don't think I've ever come across someone over the age of 3 or 4 that couldn't swim.

Its quite common in the UK. Not everyone has easy access to a pool.
    So learning requires someone to be available to get you to/from the pool and the money to pay for it....

• estherpotter1
    estherpotter1 Posts: 137 Member
    I love swimming.I swim for half an hour.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    edited January 2020
    I love swimming. I should go more often - I've been climbing a lot recently, but I've injured a finger so have more time available for other exercises.

About 4 years ago, I taught myself a new stroke (for me) - the no hands; backwards breast stroke. It's useful when scuba diving, for example to avoid bumping into your buddy at the safety/deco stop. I was doing a scuba course where it was needed.

It's like a standard breast stroke leg action, but done in reverse to make you go backwards. I practiced enough where I could do a 25 metre length easily enough at the pool, and it did indeed translate to being able to it on dives.

I don't recommend it for non-divers, as you go very slowly, can't see where you're going, and look desperately eccentric. Learning a new stroke as an adult was an interesting experience, though.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Oh no dude, swimming is very good for you. Ignore naysayers. It works on your strength and your endurance and it also makes your lungs stronger. If Satan gets in the pool, you'll notice the water boiling, but short of that I think you'll be fine. XD

I like my pool water nice and warm, anyway! B)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    @splenderella61 : wow, I had to take a minute to soak in your story. You were able to swim A to SF? Wow! I hope you find a rhythm for your life that gets you back to that! Your 5th metatarsal break is painful, I'm sure, but it would seem to point you back to the pool before the elliptical.
  • stephanieg42
    stephanieg42 Posts: 1 Member
    Love swimming - especially because its a fully body exercise, doesn't hurt and I can zone out and not be distracted by people watching etc. I just wish there were more availability at our local pool for open swim times :(