WAISTAWAYS January 2020 Chat

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,004 Member
    Happy Thursday!
    I am down here in sunny Massachusetts, got my dad and step-mom to the airport dark and early this morning, walked the dog, delivered my flute to the repair guy, and had two breakfasts so far! Somehow, I think I'll be over on the calories today... But I'll get lots of steps, at least.

@micki48 I hope it all settles down quick - but don't worry about logging and all while everything is in an uproar. Hugs flying your way!

@conleywoods - thanks for the questions. I'll be trying to put the whole thing together later today. I like the 3 habits thing too - each person profiled might have different answers for that one, and a good list will be handy for people to have. And how to deal with ups and downs. Strategies are important for kicking ourselves back in gear.

I'll be back to nag about any weigh-ins that are due later!
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 974 Member
    @Terytha So sad about work. Glad you have a great weekend planned for yourself. Unfortunately we can't always control work but we can choose to block it out when were home. Have fun doing all the things you love. Hope work gets better soon.
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    YinxFed wrote: »
    Happy Thursday Team!

So a few weeks ago, I had to undergo a number of procedures, and this morning, I received my last all-clear letter. The procedures were - mammagram - nothing to report; an appointment with the gynaecologist because of bleeding while on menopause - again, nothing to worry about. And finally, a colonoscopy (my 3rd after 2 unsuccessful ones!) Thankfully, the last one (the colonoscopy), which I had been most worried about, was the last all-clear letter. I'm both relieved and happy!

Congratulations, @YinxFed, three times over! :smiley:
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Anyone else have terrible balance on the treadmill ? I am not sure what's wrong with me, I have pretty good balance with yoga... but me and that treadmill just don't mesh, I tried walking really fast (I'm not even going to pretend it was jogging) and I almost lost my balance several times...
  • jugar
    Anyone else have terrible balance on the treadmill ? I am not sure what's wrong with me, I have pretty good balance with yoga... but me and that treadmill just don't mesh, I tried walking really fast (I'm not even going to pretend it was jogging) and I almost lost my balance several times...

core, core core --- make sure you're engaging! I have to work hard on balance. Weirdly enough, hearing only in one ear makes balance a big challenge. Since I have been working hard on core strength, this has improved. Not perfect, but way better - be sure to think a lot about the core engagement when you're on the treadmill. For me it helps a lot on the exercise bike, so maybe it is the same on the treadmill. who knows!!
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    jugar wrote: »

core, core core --- make sure you're engaging! I have to work hard on balance. Weirdly enough, hearing only in one ear makes balance a big challenge. Since I have been working hard on core strength, this has improved. Not perfect, but way better - be sure to think a lot about the core engagement when you're on the treadmill. For me it helps a lot on the exercise bike, so maybe it is the same on the treadmill. who knows!!

Hmm I have a tube problem with one ear, I have to have a tube in it or it causes all kinds of issues, and I just made an appointment with my ent cause I positive it fell out again ( they last about 7-8 months at a time for me). Never thought about it with balance... but yes i did some reading, and i think alot of it has to do with my tendency to put my hand on the bar... so I am going to make a conscious effort not to do that while walking... But the ear thing could explain why the single leg deadlifts were so stinkin hard yesterday... hmmm I will chat with my ent about that... Thanks
  • jugar
    jugar wrote: »

Hmm I have a tube problem with one ear, I have to have a tube in it or it causes all kinds of issues, and I just made an appointment with my ent cause I positive it fell out again ( they last about 7-8 months at a time for me). Never thought about it with balance... but yes i did some reading, and i think alot of it has to do with my tendency to put my hand on the bar... so I am going to make a conscious effort not to do that while walking... But the ear thing could explain why the single leg deadlifts were so stinkin hard yesterday... hmmm I will chat with my ent about that... Thanks

Yes! Try to find out what is going on with that ear - it sure makes a difference. Good luck!
  • jugar
    How did it get to be almost Friday already?

I will have to carry over my weigh-in from last week since I will not be home to do the deed, but there are plenty more to submit tomorrow!

HEADS UP in other words:
    @jfp420 (late!)
    @mrslrucker (late!)
    @Connie7355
    @AmyRobF
    @Pearl4686
    @Steph1498
    @Gidgitgoescrazy
    @mrsjar5311
    @mrs_chivonne
    @bunnybuns1111
    @ann_1403
    @conleywoods
    @mbutler2013
    @robertefortier536

Send me numbers, folks!
  • EvMakesChanges
    EvMakesChanges Posts: 542 Member
    @micki48 Steps today: 3,350 Wednesday: 2,985
    Did I give you Tuesday's step count? I couldn't remember. Thanks!

@Gidgitgoescrazy
    A few years ago, I had a heck of a time keeping comfortably balanced while moving on the tread mill. My coach reminded me to look ahead and not down - also, start slowly without holding on, swinging your arms like normal walking around, core engaged and pelvic tucked a bit. Peripheral vision can fool us into believing the world is crooked or messed up somehow and then, boom. we've been thrown off the beastly thing onto the floor!
    Ear issues can definitely play a part in that routine.
    I haven't been on a tread mill for quite a long time. One of these days, perhaps I'll have access to a tread mill or stationary bike again. lots of things on the list ahead of those items, however.

@YinxFed what a huge relief! I'm happy for you and know how nerve wracking it is to wait for those letters. Whew!

@jugar I wish I had a good window to come down for a wee visist. If one opens up, it'll be great!
    Happy Siri-sitting. Sing her a tune - she'll be happier before you know it.
  • Steph1498
    Steph1498 Posts: 307 Member
    Here's my weight check in for this week. Its frustrating but I haven't been focused on my health and honestly have been feeling a little blue for the past few weeks. Its almost like I need to have a struggle with the progress to keep it going. OK better work and presence here in these chats next week!
    PW: 167.2
    CW: 168.0
  • Steph1498
    Steph1498 Posts: 307 Member
    @Micki48 here are my steps so far this week:
    1/19: 10,532
    1/20: 5,433
    1/21: 8,334
    1/22: 6,949
    1/23: 11,281
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Friday weigh-in
    PW: 179.5
    CW: 179.7
  • lovethyneighbor
    lovethyneighbor Posts: 270 Member
    Steps
    1/23: 4435
  • lovethyneighbor
    lovethyneighbor Posts: 270 Member
    I am so tired. Campus has started back so the jeans had to go this week. Back to work clothes. I am not 💯 percent sure if it could be a laundry detergent my pants were washed in last month or if something else is going on. This happened around this time last year too and lasted for months. My legs have broken out in a rash all over it started at the ankles and has worked up to my thighs. It itches sooooo bad. It burns in the shower from scratching too. I laid awake scratching for over an hour last night. Then when I did get back to sleep I couldn’t get comfortable and I used the sheets like a scratching post. On top of that, today is my early day so I have to be at work earlier than usual and I have meetings. I can only imagine just how itchy I will be. 😩
  • EvMakesChanges
    EvMakesChanges Posts: 542 Member
    @lovethyneighbor
    Itchy and red along with moving towards your torso sounds like an allergic reaction to me. I’ve had the fungal issue of “ringworm” (not actually a worm but internal fungus gone awry) and that can take some balancing of sugars to rebalance.
    I know you’re at work but if you can, try using some baking soda on the itchiest areas. (Put a tablespoon of baking soda on paper towel and make a paste-compress. Dab it on or make it wetter and wipe it on the ankle or leg. After 30-seconds, wipe off.
    Oatmeal baths can help itchy skin, too, but not at work, probably.
    Maybe you're allergic to the notion of returning to work? (Can’t blame you there!)
    If that doesn’t do the trick, get checked. Depending on where you live, perhaps it’s an infestation of some sort? Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.