January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    Did a 1-4-4-1 run tonight. Was in the 30s F so that is almost a heatwave compared to recent days!

I'm curious about the 1-4-4-1 run. What do those #s mean? Glad the temps came up to freezing for ya, just don't take too many layers off!

Sorry. :) I do not know if it is "a normal workout" or a just one my coach uses all the time but it shows up a lot in my plan that she has for me.

1 Mile Warm up
    4 Miles Easy Pace
    4 Miles Half Marathon Goal Pace
    1 Mile Cooldown

i like this workout. maybe i'll add a version of it to my runs. i'll have to convince speed demon of this thing called an "easy pace"

I like it too. Except my warmup pace is my easy pace. Maybe I should make it easier. Hmmm.

Me three! Walking is my warm up and cooldown pace though...
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Did a 1-4-4-1 run tonight. Was in the 30s F so that is almost a heatwave compared to recent days!

I'm curious about the 1-4-4-1 run. What do those #s mean? Glad the temps came up to freezing for ya, just don't take too many layers off!

Sorry. :) I do not know if it is "a normal workout" or a just one my coach uses all the time but it shows up a lot in my plan that she has for me.

1 Mile Warm up
    4 Miles Easy Pace
    4 Miles Half Marathon Goal Pace
    1 Mile Cooldown

i like this workout. maybe i'll add a version of it to my runs. i'll have to convince speed demon of this thing called an "easy pace"

I like it too. Except my warmup pace is my easy pace. Maybe I should make it easier. Hmmm.

Me three! Walking is my warm up and cooldown pace though...

Me four! I will try it this Sat for my long run...
  • hamsterwheel6
    Yes to cold and hungry. I baked yesterday. 6 loaves of banana bread and 2 1/2 apple cakes. Only the 1/2 cake was for us. The rest went into the deep freezer and will come out for our next "Street Church" thingy. It's so funny, they have to be careful because people frequently try to steal my baked goods during the event :D

Dropped the car off for inspection on the other side of the city, ran the 12k home and now hubby can take a bus to pick it up later. Maybe I'll take the kids to play in the woods :)

January goal 100 miles (stretch goal 200 km)

exercise.png

Omg. I love banana bread. Makes me want to go home and bake one myself :)
  • hamsterwheel6
    well dang. we are getting hit by more snow. i was hoping to run tonight after teaching aerial yoga, but shoveling has to come first. lots of foot traffic in front of my house including neighbors to either side of me walking to the other house.
    but it's only 2 miles. so i should be able to get it done. hopefully.

also i think speed demon injured my foot. she stepped down hard on my big toe while trying to get outside. maybe dislocated a little bone or pinched some of the connective tissue. running is fine. walking is uncomfortable

Hope your toe feels better.
  • hamsterwheel6
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    1/1 – 3.17 miles
    1/2 – 5.03 miles
    1/4 – 10.01 miles
    1/5 – 6.56 miles (trail)
    1/6 – 4.14 miles
    1/8 – 5.01 miles
    1/10 – 5.10 miles
    1/11 – 13.54 miles
    1/13 – 5.33 miles
    1/15 – 5.10 miles (track)
    1/17 – 4.38 miles
    1/19 – 11 miles
    1/21 – 1 mile
    1/22 – 5.01 miles
    1/23 – 5.01 miles
    89.40 miles/100 miles

It was a nice warm 29F on this morning’s run. Yesterday it was 15F but there wasn’t any wind so it didn’t feel too bad. Heading to Asheville NC on Saturday for the Hot Chocolate 10K.

@rheddmobile – has your husband tried an ankle brace? The inside of my left ankle sometimes bothers me – more on trails and I can tell a big difference when I wear my brace. It usually doesn’t start whining until I’m a few miles in so I often forget to put it on and usually regret it.

I was just in Asheville and saw this being advertised... Thought would have been great if it were last weekend when I was there! Good luck!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Arizona has a parkrun in Tucson. A 2 hour drive is a bit much unless we are doing a weekend there or something.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    January Goal: 100 Miles

1/1: 6.41 miles
    1/2: 6.10 miles
    1/5: 4.55 miles
    1/7: 3.55 miles
    1/8: 6.10 miles
    1/9: 6.02 miles
    1/12: 10.03 miles
    1/14: 6.11 miles
    1/15: 6.22 miles
    1/16: 6.21 miles
    1/19: 9.31 miles
    1/22: 5.75 miles
    1/23: 6.03 miles

82.39/100 miles completed for January

82.39/1000 miles for Run the Year Team Pavement Pounders

I ran 6 miles this morning. It was a good run. I had my new shoes, the weather was pretty nice. It was cloudy and I'm a bit tired of clouds, but it was ~47°F with just a light wind and no rain so it was nice out. And it is sunny now so that makes me happy. I wasn't as slow as I have been the last few runs. I saw a couple of skunks, but luckily they didn't see me. I felt good on the run and enjoyed it.
    0sn0hlmtknxd.jpgNot really my first choice of color, but I usually just take the least expensive choice of the model I want. I never really understand why the different colors are different prices.

I wish there was a park run near me, but it looks like there are only 3 in Texas. Two are in the Houston area which is about 350 miles away so probably 5.5 - 6 hour drive depending on where in Houston you are going. The other is closer, in Keller, and it's only 125 miles from me but still a good 2 hour drive from here. Even if there were more park runs in Texas there wouldn't be any close to me. I live in a pretty small town in the middle of nowhere. But park run sure sounds fun.

exercise.png

2020 races:
    5/16/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon

Those shoes are pretty!
  • hamsterwheel6
    @RunsOnEspresso @kgirlhart I guess I shouldn't complain about 30 min drive! LOL. Nice shoes, did you feel better?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,970 Member
    @RunsOnEspresso and @hamsterwheel6 Thanks! I think they are nice looking but will look old and dirty fast. And I do feel better. 😄
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    @emmamcgarity - Congratulations on getting to run and the hamstring feeling better - YAY!!
    @PastorVincent - The only park run in CA is one in the Bay Area. None in So CA. I was thinking of maybe trying to help start one but have no idea where they could hold it. There is a big park - big enough to support many runners doing a 5k, but they charge $5/car to park there on the weekends. It would be perfect as it has a couple of big lakes, lots of shade and has paths along the river too. The paved trail I run could also work but I am not sure it could support a lot of runners all there together. There is some parking but not enough unless a local business near the trail entrance would allow us to use some of their parking too.

@pastorvincent, @polskagirl01 on the 1-4-4-1 WU. I use the ~mile from my house to the paved trail as my WU too. I start with a walk (let pup get all the sniffs and business out of the way) and add in running as I go. By the time we are at the trail I am running...

@noblsheep - I was wondering how you were doing with all the crazy epidemic stuff going on. Is it affecting where you are even being far from Wuhan? Hope the race isn't cancelled!

It looks like they posted a development map on their blog in October 2019. I see a couple of sites listed as under development in Southern CA.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited January 2020
    question
    the local store has xc shoes with spikes on sale. cheap. are those only good on trails, soft trails?
    i don't get out to soft trails very often. gravel and blacktop yes. sidewalks, yes
    since my yaktrax were an utter disaster, i was wondering about them. i don't have old shoes to screw, i did find things like yaktrax but more screw-like. and they have straps to keep them on better. i don't think i need full crampons. just something to help manage the ice.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited January 2020
    Going back to the posts about Parkrun - I wish we had it here. I think it would be a fun and different. There aren’t any close to here at all.

None here either. I look from time to time, but nothing. Sounds like people really enjoy them.

Start one! They are always looking for volunteers to start it up!

ETA oops that what I get for posting before reading the rest of the comments...
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    question
    the local store has xc shoes with spikes on sale. cheap. are those only good on trails, soft trails?
    i don't get out to soft trails very often. gravel and blacktop yes. sidewalks, yes
    since my yaktrax were an utter disaster, i was wondering about them. i don't have old shoes to screw, i did find things like yaktrax but more screw-like. and they have straps to keep them on better. i don't think i need full crampons. just something to help manage the ice.

If they are metal spikes then any hard surface will beat them down, and you will do damage to the surface so they would be for grass or other soft surfaces.

YakTraks makes a version with the over the laces strap. I think that is what I have (and never used). So that might be an option too.