Can I squat with a knee replacement?

Anyone one with first hand experience in squatting with a knee replacement? If so, how long after surgery were you able to? I’m hoping someone says it’s okay, because this is really, really, important to me. Specifically a barbell with some weight on it. Not a lot, but done.

Replies

• MarcyMavin
    MarcyMavin Posts: 142 Member
    harper16 wrote: »
    I feel like this is something best asked of your doctor.

He gave me a go ahead for “someday”. I won’t be able to speak with him for another month. I’m just looking for a ray of hope if it has actually been accomplished by others. The people in my life with knee replacements do not exercise so it doesn’t pay to ask them.
  • MarcyMavin
    @BrianSharpe Thank you so much!
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Full disclosure, it's in a pool but I have been squatting with two hip replacements, so why not? But better to be sure by checking with doctor or therapist.
  • MarcyMavin
    edited January 2020
    @BrianSharpe @geraldaltman Thank you both very much for your replies! I will definitely be using a pool to get started again. Strength training has become a big, and healing part of my life, I don’t want to lose it if at all possible 😊
  • geraldaltman
    MarcyMavin wrote: »
    @BrianSharpe @geraldaltman Thank you both very much for your replies! I will definitely be using a pool to get started again. Strength training has become a big, and healing part of my life, I don’t want to lose it if at all possible 😊

Pool work (and some day actual swimming) has become the core of all my exercise since my surgeries both of which were last year. Having joined a fitness center with access to lap, exercise and therapy pools as well as a walking track and general exercise equipment has given me all manner of options. I favor walking and pool, sometimes walking in pool if lap pool isn't busy. I have never stopped doing my hip PT, I've just relocated them to water and expanded on them. Using foam dumbells and other such pool aids will offer resistance strength exercise.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    I had a knee replacement in November 2016, and full squats with or without weights are totally out of my league now, and not recommended by the doctor or PT either. I can do chair squats, but that's all. I know of many people with knee replacements that they can't do full squats either, and the same with hip replacement.

However, we are all different so you need to ask your orthopedic doctor and your PT. Don't try it unless you are fully recovered and with a good range of motion.

For me is not a problem because I don't do squats anyway since I have shoulders and neck issues and I can't put weight on my shoulders. So goblet-bench squats are good enough for me plus some deadlifts and/or the seating leg press.

Good luck and I wish you a good recovery.
  • GW4321
    GW4321 Posts: 523 Member
    I haven't had a knee replacement, but I had very significant injuries in my knee and hip. I can't squat normally, but I have discovered that box squats work ok for me. The level is above parallel, so it keeps me from getting my knee and hip into compromised positions. If you get the ok from a doctor, then that might be a safer option. Even then, I would start with light weights and slowly.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited January 2020

He gave me a go ahead for “someday”. I won’t be able to speak with him for another month. I’m just looking for a ray of hope if it has actually been accomplished by others. The people in my life with knee replacements do not exercise so it doesn’t pay to ask them.

I'd ask him for a referral to physical therapy at that time. When I've had knee and hip issues I found my PT far more useful than my GP. (And my GP knew that, and just sent me straight to the PT without fuss.)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    My Knee and hip replacement friends seem to all start with stationary bike. Maybe you're already doing that!

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2020
    You "can" do anything you want. I played baseball with a guy who had two knee replacements against his doctor's recommendation.

"Should" you squat is a question for your medical team. Some understand the importance of resistance training and encourage you to do what you can tolerate.

That being said, I've trained a couple people that had knee replacements and they were able to squat and deadlift with many different variations without issues.

If you have concerns I suggest you ask you physicians/surgeons first if you haven't already. If they give the green light, squatting could be a viable option.
  • geraldaltman
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'd ask him for a referral to physical therapy at that time. When I've had knee and hip issues I found my PT far more useful than my GP. (And my GP knew that, and just sent me straight to the PT without fuss.)

"PT far more useful" is very understated!! The PT exercises my therapists had me do in the wake of my hip replacements last year have been so effective, I have never stopped doing them! I've just taken them into the pool!! Next week will mark one year since first replacement (April for 2nd).

• Gisel2015
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    You "can" do anything you want.

I wish, I could do that :'( I do what I can, but not necessarily what I wish I could.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member

"PT far more useful" is very understated!! The PT exercises my therapists had me do in the wake of my hip replacements last year have been so effective, I have never stopped doing them! I've just taken them into the pool!! Next week will mark one year since first replacement (April for 2nd).

Yes, honestly, the only thing my GP was good for was the referral to PT. This is not to dis my GP, but to praise her for knowing when to refer :)

I've never stopped doing my knee and hip PT exercises either - I incorporated them into my yoga warmups and I do them half way through my strength training.
  • Gisel2015

Yes, honestly, the only thing my GP was good for was the referral to PT. This is not to dis my GP, but to praise her for knowing when to refer :)

I've never stopped doing my knee and hip PT exercises either - I incorporated them into my yoga warmups and I do them half way through my strength training.[/quot

I do my PT knee exercises every time that I go to the gym too (4 times a week, and I do yoga 3 times a week). My husband continues doing his hip PT exercises every day as well.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Anyone one with first hand experience in squatting with a knee replacement? If so, how long after surgery were you able to? I’m hoping someone says it’s okay, because this is really, really, important to me. Specifically a barbell with some weight on it. Not a lot, but done.

my boyfriend had a knee replacement a couple years ago. he is very active (plays soccer a couple times per week, weight lifting a few times per week)...going into the replacement he heard different things from different doctors - some suggest never squatting/running/playing sports again, but the surgeon he went to told him to enjoy the new knee! obviously you need to listen to your doctor's recommendations for your particular situation, but my boyfriend is now back to squatting relatively heavy (still working up to where he was) and playing sports multiple times per week with no issues. I don't remember how long until he was squatting again, but definitely by the year mark post-surgery he was pretty much back to normal.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2020
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    You "can" do anything you want.

I wish, I could do that :'( I do what I can, but not necessarily what I wish I could.

It can take time. I was in a wheelchair and/or cane not long ago..

Last September I couldn't walk a block in less than 15 minutes without taking 5-7 breaks.

A month later I stood on the podium at the USAPL National powerlifting meet.

Mind first, body will follow.

We do what we can with short term goals leading us to long term goals.

I wish you the best.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    I had a knee replacement almost 4 years ago at 36 years old. It took me almost a year, but I squat regularly. I can’t squat with heavy weight anymore, but I do with more manageable weight. I would jog if I could too, but it just doesn’t feel stable enough for that, so I stick mostly with the elliptical.