What's One Ingredient You Swear by - That People Should Use More Often?

Replies

• vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    For me it has to be Sriracha sauce, it's great on eggs, chicken, soups, stews and many other things😋
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    New for me-Curry Powder
  • thatsmejb
    thatsmejb Posts: 83 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    If I have to pick just one, it's probably Penzey's Fox Point/Justice. They're the same spice blend, except Fox Point has salt and Justice doesn't. I put it in and on everything; notable examples include scrambled eggs, pizza, pasta, and beans.

If I can list more than one, let me know :)

Never heard of these, will be looking into!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    55jamieb wrote: »
    Ground Golden Flaxseed. Nice flavor, all the Omegas of fish oil without the smell, ALA to help fight inflammation & they help control hunger. I add this stuff to at least half of my meals.

Interesting, will have to look into this!!

The problem with using ALAs for omega-3s is that it's not clear they are sufficient to provide DHA/EPA. That's basically only in fatty fish, sea vegetables, and supplements (including algae based ones).

https://examine.com/nutrition/can-i-eat-flax-seeds-instead-of-fish-or-fish-oil-for-omega-3s/

Seeds that contain ALA can be tasty or good sources of other nutrients too, however (often they have some protein and fiber). I'd use flaxseed more if grinding it weren't a pain.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    If I have to pick just one, it's probably Penzey's Fox Point/Justice. They're the same spice blend, except Fox Point has salt and Justice doesn't. I put it in and on everything; notable examples include scrambled eggs, pizza, pasta, and beans.

Never heard of these, will be looking into!

I prefer the Justice blend because I like to adjust salt myself, so I always go for salt-free seasonings when I can. But I highly recommend both :)https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/justice/c-24/p-3228/pd-s

If you happen to live near a Penzey's, you can go smell all the spices in the store.
  • barefootbridgey
    barefootbridgey Posts: 81 Member
    Fresh ginger
    Crushed red Pepper
    Fresh rosemary
    Sweet Baby Rays Buffalo wing sauce (mix one serving in with a serving of Bolthouse Farms yogurt ranch dressing and you've got yourself a killer salad dressing that's like, 70 calories AND enough to feel like you're eating a much better salad than you are)
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    If I had to pick one, I'd go with Bragg's Liquid Aminos. Umami flavor that is so versatile. We don't keep soy sauce in the house anymore now that we have it, too.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    vaman wrote: »
    For me it has to be Sriracha sauce, it's great on eggs, chicken, soups, stews and many other things😋

I never liked mac n' cheese (not even as a kid) until I added Sriracha and green onion. Divine.
  • lemurcat2
    edited January 2020
    Lots of different kinds of vinegars, soy sauce, and various hot sauces (although already mentioned, it's true). Oh, and capers, pepperoncini, and giardiniera.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    New for me-Curry Powder

Agreed and middle eastern spice blend.
  • aroze0928
    aroze0928 Posts: 254 Member
    Ginger
  • RCPV
    RCPV Posts: 342 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Ground Golden Flaxseed. Nice flavor, all the Omegas of fish oil without the smell, ALA to help fight inflammation & they help control hunger. I add this stuff to at least half of my meals.

The problem with using ALAs for omega-3s is that it's not clear they are sufficient to provide DHA/EPA. That's basically only in fatty fish, sea vegetables, and supplements (including algae based ones).

https://examine.com/nutrition/can-i-eat-flax-seeds-instead-of-fish-or-fish-oil-for-omega-3s/

Seeds that contain ALA can be tasty or good sources of other nutrients too, however (often they have some protein and fiber). I'd use flaxseed more if grinding it weren't a pain.

I use a little cheapy electric coffee grinder to grind mine. :)
  • lemurcat2
    RCPV wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I use a little cheapy electric coffee grinder to grind mine. :)

I was thinking about that -- I have one for coffee, but might need to get one for seeds and spices. I've used a mortar and pestle but it doesn't work that efficiently for flax seeds and so is super annoying.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member

I feel like I just parrot "same as her" all the time but Fox Point is amazing on everything! I put it on everything, love a thick coating with lemon on salmon. I don't like Justice as much, probably because it's finer so it takes longer to shake out a lot! Aside of cinnamon and salt I use Fox Point the most.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    ground chipotle
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Balsamic glaze
  • LittleLightShine
    LittleLightShine Posts: 123 Member
    Trader Joe's Everything but the Bagel (SO GOOD) followed by balsamic or rice wine vinegar.