Avocados

Hello Peeps, I have been eating avocados as I read in an article they are excellent for you and one of the most eaten foods on this app. But...I am trying to stay within my targets and avocados add fats I am not to eat. Do you not eat them or splurge and eat them once in a while?

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I love them! I usually try to eat at least half an avocado every day. They are really good for you and yummy too!
    I love 'em layered on a chicken salad open-faced sandwich. I also love guacamole but could eat the whole bowl and a bag of bagel crisps all by myself. Your body still needs healthy fats and this is a great way to get them.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I love them and do eat avocado occasionally, but wish I could eat them more frequently precisely for the good fat component!

For me though, being very petite and older it doesn’t work so well, calorie wise, for my goals. It tends to crowd out other essential nutrients which I need to get in balance too.

So if you like them and they don’t upset your calorie goal, have at it! Eat extra for me too! 😂
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Who says you are not to eat them? Avocados contain monounsaturated fats, which are very good for you. Everything about an avocado is nutritious. I eat them almost every day. They are calorie dense, so you do need to be congnizant of that and fitting them in your calorie goal. But as long as you can fit them in your calorie goal, you should not worry about eating them.

Well. actually they are more "moderate" calorie dense about 1.6 cals a gram vs butter at 9 cals or so, but yes they can add up sir. If you are going to add avocado to your "diet", then look at possibly lowering fats from somewhere else. If you are not counting macros, then from carbs or fats.
  • suzannecandace
    suzannecandace Posts: 3 Member
    Ohmygosh thanks for all the input everyone! I have a better understanding of my goals now! Thanks. PS those are wicked avocados, our are nothing like that!
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    I would highly recommend weighing (edible parts only) by the gram. I see lots of my MFP friends just select "medium avocado" but when I weigh the "mediums" sold at my store, they are significantly smaller.

What I put on a sandwich, fajita, etc is generally only 30-50 grams which isn't a big calorie hit.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited January 2020
    I check out of curiosity, and the USDA "one fruit" entry for CA avocados (not the giant one pictured above, which looks like the Florida type) is 136 g. I tend to have half of one every morning and they vary between 63 and 72 g, so that seems pretty accurate for me, although I always use grams.
  • psychod787
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I check out of curiosity, and the USDA "one fruit" entry for CA avocados (not the giant one pictured above, which looks like the Florida type) is 136 g. I tend to have half of one every morning and they vary between 63 and 72 g, so that seems pretty accurate for me, although I always use grams.

Mine range from 130 to 150 grams before I take them out of the skin. So actually pretty close imho.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Hello Peeps, I have been eating avocados as I read in an article they are excellent for you and one of the most eaten foods on this app. But...I am trying to stay within my targets and avocados add fats I am not to eat. Do you not eat them or splurge and eat them once in a while?

Avocados are actually fats you should be eating...they are healthy fats. If you are referring to the "0" and going into the red, that "0" should actually just be N/A because there is no official recommendation for mono and poly fats...but those are the one's you should be eating the most of.

I eat avocados frequently...they are more or less a staple of New Mexican cuisine.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    These are the type of avocadoes we get by me. Bigger than your hand!

c4rmoylr1qzs.jpg

Wow I wish we had those in 🇺🇸!
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    I eat avocado for breakfast 2-3x a week id eat them more but they are pricy
  • psychod787

c4rmoylr1qzs.jpg

Mmmmm.. Florida Avocados
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    avocado on whole grain toast with egg on top is perfect breakfast or snack for me.
    wc74pesrv911.jpg
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    avocado on whole grain toast with egg on top is perfect breakfast or snack for me.
    wc74pesrv911.jpg

That just might be tomorrow's breakfast for. Yum!!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member

c4rmoylr1qzs.jpg

Wow I wish we had those in 🇺🇸!

We used to have them. Then the much tastier Haas/California avocados (bumpy, darker skin, smaller) mostly pushed the Florida avocados out of the market. People preferred the Haas avocados, so that's what the grocery stores stocked. Once in a while I see some Floridas, but it's usually a small amount, tucked in a corner, like it's something exotic. Meanwhile the Haas are front and center, often among the leading sale items intended to lure you into the store. They had them for 88 cents at my regular grocery story last weekend, probably in response to Whole Foods advertising them for a dollar ("normal" sale price around here is $1.67, and normal non-sale price is $1.99).
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited January 2020
    For those of you that eat the Florida Avocados, how do you know that they are ripe? Is it the same as the Haas and just the feel? My grocery store does carry the Florida ones but I've always been nervous to buy them for some reason. I love avocados and always have them on hand, and was even inspired by this post and had Avocado Toast for breakfast yesterday :)

n36g0dguhu5t.jpeg