Always hungry

I’m new to eating healthy and regular exercise, I’ve been trying to watch my calorie intake and go to the gym 4 days a week. Since working out I’ve noticed I’m hungrier more throughout the day and I try to make healthy snack choices like fruits and nuts but I always end up going over by the end of the day, can anyone suggest low calorie snacks to help curve a crazy appetite?

Replies

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Are you eating at least a portion (50%) of those earned calories from exercise back?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I’m new to eating healthy and regular exercise, I’ve been trying to watch my calorie intake and go to the gym 4 days a week. Since working out I’ve noticed I’m hungrier more throughout the day and I try to make healthy snack choices like fruits and nuts but I always end up going over by the end of the day, can anyone suggest low calorie snacks to help curve a crazy appetite?

How much weight do you want to lose, and how many lbs per week did you set your account to?

How long have you been eating on this plan and struggling with appetite?

Do you eat back any of your exercise calories?

Are you hitting your protein, fat, and fiber goals?

Sorry for the 20 questions :smile:
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Be sure you are eating enough protein and you are drinking plenty of water. I found that when I increased my water intake (to what I should be drinking) it really made a difference in my hunger. Are you logging you food, as well as measuring and weighing your portions?
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited January 2020
    How many calories are you eating?
    What was the goal mfp gave you?
    Are you eating back some/all of your exercise calories?
    Can you open up your diary?
  • NicbPNW
    NicbPNW Posts: 47 Member
    Be sure you are eating enough protein and you are drinking plenty of water. I found that when I increased my water intake (to what I should be drinking) it really made a difference in my hunger. Are you logging you food, as well as measuring and weighing your portions?

This.

Lots of water and eat snacks like hard boiled eggs, string cheese, cottage cheese w/fruit, etc. Snacks that will help you feel full.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    What kind of exercise are you doing specifically, and how intense is it?
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    My first question would be: did you start off by setting up a big loss goal per week (then MFP would have automatically put your cal goal at 1,200 a day)? If you're starting out and your goal is to ambitious, especially if you do not eat back part of your exercise calories, it would make sense that you're always hungry, healthy snacks or not. Some people do well on 1,200 but for most adults, especially those exercising, it's too few calories a day. Otherwise, I do second the "do you drink enough", do you eat enough protein" and "how intense is your exercising" questions.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Thanks for asking about this! I have a similar problem. I never found a real solution, so I’ll be following closely!!
    Whenever possible I work out in the evening to avoid overeating throughout the day. If I work out in the morning I find myself snacking (or wishing I was) all day long.
    Many of my gym friends don’t experience this and some even say the early workout curbs their appetite. I guess we’re all different but this issue makes it harder for me. Early morning is more convenient.
  • beautyonthebeach83
    beautyonthebeach83 Posts: 99 Member
    I second what the others have said about drinking water! Sometimes I assumed I was hungry when really I was just thirsty. Increasing my water intake has made such a HUGE difference! Oh, and making sure I eat enough protein and healthy fats. They keep me more satiated than just fruit. If I do have a cara cara orange or something, I like to pair it with a few cashews. Or if I have an apple I might pair it with peanut or almond butter.