Anybody dealing with depression?

How do you "get on with it" on your bad days. Iv been struggling lately...

Any advice would be great.
Thanks

Replies

• gentledreams
    gentledreams Posts: 10 Member
    I will agree with the others, definitely talk to your doctor and, if you can afford it, see a therapist (I am a big fan of therapy because it improved my quality of life tremendously and taught me the tools to cope with my issues on my own).

This is what gets me through rough patches:
    - eating right
    - having a rigid sleep schedule, if needed with the help of melatonin+valerian
    - exercising, I love swimming so I do a lot of that, but I actually only learnt how to swim in 2018; before that I didn't have the confidence to go to a gym so I did lots of walking, and it helped so much!
    - going to work no matter what. It forces me to have a routine, to see and talk to people when I don't want to, it makes me feel good to have responsibilities (and of course to earn money)
    - keeping myself entertained with an "easy" tv show I love. When I'm depressed I feel I don't have the mental energy to watch something new so I will just have something I watched a million times on repeat, like The Office or Grey's Anatomy or something like that, it's just so my brain can get distracted while not getting tired following a new plot
    - online puzzles of any kind, the more repetitive the better (I love nonograms). Again it's just so my brain can get distracted while minimising energy output
    - reach out to a friend, a relative, your therapist, or a coworker. Sometimes reaching out does not have to mean talk about your issues if you don't want to, it could be as simple as grabbing a drink after work with a coworker you like. Just having a connection with another human being sometimes helps a lot
    - last but not least, medication. My main issue is anxiety so I take Lexotan which was recommended to me by my therapist and prescribed by my GP. I usually take it for a couple months a year to get through the worst bits, which for me is from September to December (days getting darker and all that).

I know it sounds like a cliché and I used to be 100% sure it was *kitten* but even just eating right, sleeping right, and going for a walk makes a tremendous difference. Best of luck x
  • neubsasha08
    neubsasha08 Posts: 2 Member
    I struggle with depression, anxiety and OCD. It's a daily struggle for me really. I am still trying to find what works for me. I currently take imipromine for depression and something I just started for anxiety. They say that exercise helps with the symptoms with depression and I try to workout, but honestly, finding the motivation to workout is the real struggle for me. No matter how badly I want to work out I can barely seem to find the motivation or energy and that is something I am working on :) I just have to keep telling myself how much better I really do feel when I do workout or do yoga. (I have a very bad inner monologue). I have gotten into meditation and that has really helped me during the hard times as well.
  • mscoro1
    mscoro1 Posts: 2 Member
    Something I read once long ago clicked with me and sometimes have to remind myself; "Action comes before motivation". Motivation will come once you just get started doing whatever it is you need to do. So to quote Nike 'Just do it'. hehe Works for me anyway.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,183 Member
    @kshama2001 The discussion was titled, "Before killing people and breaking things, make your bed."
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 25,833 Member
    @kshama2001 The discussion was titled, "Before killing people and breaking things, make your bed."

Thanks! That wasn't it, but it is awesome! https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10594192/before-killing-people-and-breaking-things-make-your-bed

It very briefly makes the same point about creating a "virtuous cycle" that I was thinking about.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/02/style/how-to-make-your-bed.html?_r=0

“You need an anchor point for your day, and sometimes that anchor is as a simple as making your bed,” ...“It will give you a small sense of pride, and it will encourage you to do another task and another.”
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,725 Member
    mscoro1 wrote: »
    Something I read once long ago clicked with me and sometimes have to remind myself; "Action comes before motivation". Motivation will come once you just get started doing whatever it is you need to do. So to quote Nike 'Just do it'. hehe Works for me anyway.

Thanks for both these posts!! Definitely helpful. :)
    And so true about the action comes before motivation. It reminds me of the 'fake it til you make it' mindset. Sometimes it's the hardest thing to do but it's what gets you there.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 2,838 Member
    I suffer from depression along with anxiety, OCD, and PTSD plus chronic physical illnesses on top of it. My depression and anxiety are closely linked. I take 2 medications for my anxiety and I see a therapist monthly. This plus eating better, getting enough sleep, and making sure I do have some ME time scheduled is what helps the most for me. It's about finding a balance and listening to your body but not allowing the dark thoughts push everything else aside. Much easier to say then to actually do.

I do find that if I get myself to do ONE small task like a load of laundry, empty the dishwasher, do some yoga, or really anything that it can break through and I can get much more done. It's like it's a huge accomplishment and it makes me excited that I can actually do it.
  • astridtheviking
    astridtheviking Posts: 113 Member
    Agreed with everything above, I would say my #1 thing is having a routine. If I have a routine for every day of the week, I have less down time to talk myself down to *kitten*. I keep myself so exhaustively busy I have no time to have a fun little depression downward spiral. I also signed up for a gym that requires me to cancel my classes hours in advance, so I can't get to the last hour and talk myself out of it (self-talk is fun and great, am I right?).
  • xSanoura
    xSanoura Posts: 39 Member
    I struggle with anxiety and it makes me feel down on certain days. On days I feel down, I take a drive and listen to some good music. Or I’ll go to the store and walk around, even if I only buy one thing or nothing. I call a friend to have lunch or I’ll make myself a really nice meal. I do something to keep myself busy, because if not, I’ll get stuck in a mental rut.
    Some days are harder than others, but you just gotta keep going! :) also, having someone to talk to, rather it be online or in person, really helps. You got this, don’t give up!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 2,838 Member
    xSanoura wrote: »
    I struggle with anxiety and it makes me feel down on certain days. On days I feel down, I take a drive and listen to some good music. Or I’ll go to the store and walk around, even if I only buy one thing or nothing. I call a friend to have lunch or I’ll make myself a really nice meal. I do something to keep myself busy, because if not, I’ll get stuck in a mental rut.
    Some days are harder than others, but you just gotta keep going! :) also, having someone to talk to, rather it be online or in person, really helps. You got this, don’t give up!

I also will often just go to the store and look around to force myself to get out of bed and out of the house. Sometimes that is what it takes to break a negative cycle. I don't go on a drive because driving to me increases my anxiety. I think it is because I commute every day 35-45 minutes and now "driving" is all connected to that feeling.

And having people to talk to is very important. Without a small group of friend and family plus my therapist, I wouldn't be doing as well as I currently am. I am always willing to listen as well!
  • Kano899
    Kano899 Posts: 14 Member
    I Cut up today wat a mess seen docs for 18 years nothing seems to work. Im broken and believe i can not be fixed
  • Kano899
    edited January 2020
    I really appreciate al the replys and will have a good read
  • Kano899
    edited January 2020
    Tablets stop me sleeping (ssri + snri) and make me feel coked up and sedatives (trazodone) leave me tired all day
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,574 Member
    @Kano899 I'm sorry that you are going through this. I see a psychiatrist for meds that do little except for help with sleep and anxiety. I cope with work and life by keeping things as easy and simple as possible. Hubby does most of the food shopping and cooking. I do much of the dishwashing and some laundry. In the past, Hatha Yoga and breathing techniques helped. Good luck to to you. <3<3<3
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    edited January 2020
    I struggle with depression and anxiety. I truly truly feel for you and the others who have posted. It got very dark at one stage for me last year for many months. I withdrew and spent a lot of time in the dark in bed. It’s easy for people to say “get on with it” but if it was that simple I wldnt have felt so dark and empty. Or “exercise” omg I cld barely get out of bed! I took 4 weeks off work to focus on me. Celebrate the little things. One small thing I did was forcing myself to have a shower every morning otherwise it wld be pjs and couch/bed all day. I got dressed nicely and put a bit of makeup on. Sounds silly, but I felt clean and fresh. Most mornings I made myself go out, even to the shop to buy milk. It was little things for me in that dark time. I celebrated small personal achievements like the rare days I had motivation to go and visit a friend. That was huge for me. I also told my family and friends in a message a little bit about how I felt l, to have patience and that no matter what I still loved them. Having them understand a little bit helped. Music is my go to also, I crank it up and sing along and I started playing the piano again. Definitely talk to yr dr. I take meds which have helped so much and started seeing a psychologist. There’s lots of good advise here and black dog institute online has amazing resources. Also, Don’t feel guilty. I did, still do sometimes, but it eats at you. I’m still trying to build up my motivation and start truly and fully living again. It’s been a slow road but I’m getting there. Sending love.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 25,833 Member
    Kano899 wrote: »
    Tablets stop me sleeping (ssri + snri) and make me feel coked up and sedatives (trazodone) leave me tired all day

My brother is mentally ill, but he is dangerous to others when his meds aren't working, so perhaps his team takes medication adjustments more seriously than doctors who treat people who "just" have depression.

Insist your doctor try something new and if not get a new doctor who will take you seriously.

There are many different types of antidepressants. My first experience was with Prozac, which increased my anxiety, so my shrink prescribed Trazodone in addition, which made me feel hungover. I ditched this combo pretty quickly.

I tried a bunch of SSRIs before discovering Wellbutrin, which is an norepinephrine–dopamine reuptake inhibitor (NDRI). I just take one Wellbutrin SR instead of the usual two, and it does not interfere with my sleep.

Regular exercise is crucial for my mental health and to help me sleep.

Until I got close to 50, exercise, sleep hygiene, melatonin, and 5-HTP were good enough for my sleep issues.
  • designerdiscounts
    designerdiscounts Posts: 517 Member
    @neugebauer52 your post brought tears to my eyes.

I truly feel for everyone who has posted to this thread. I've struggled with depression for 30 years and have been on almost all the medications listed above. It can take a very long time to find the medication combo that works for you, please don't give up. The right meds can change your life, they certainly changed mine. I'm currently taking Wellbutrin XL, my doctor even said she's surprised it works for me but it does and we aren't changing it.

Lots of great tips have already been given. Making the bed, taking a shower, putting on makeup, getting out of the house, those things really work. Force yourself to do those things. My husband told me once that if he came home and the house alarm hadn't been turned off, he knew I'd had a bad day. Personally, exercise makes the most difference for me but I get that sometimes the hole is just too darn big to even think about exercising. You can get there, please seek help from a doctor. And reach out however you can, there are so many people who have been there and get what you are going through.