Lost 25 lbs in 3 weeks now nothing on 4th week

Replies

• dirtycory
    dirtycory Posts: 32 Member
    Even at 1500 I always feel full and satisfied. That's with 3 meals and 3 snacks through the day. Just tried to add another 250 to it and I don t even know how I'm going to eat all that. Either you guys are messing with me or I just got a slow metabolism right now
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited January 2020
    dirtycory wrote: »
    So what do you guys think my daily intake should be?

If you plug your stats into mfp., pick a proper activity level (meaning don’t pick sedentary if you work as a nurse or something on your feet all day), set it to lose 1 pound a week. If you do exercise, log that as well and eat at least a portion of those calories.

You will be eating quite a bit more. Which means more nutrients (which you need) and more room for the occasional “fun” food - because those moments will happen and you can enjoy them.

Also keep in mind that with higher intake, you will have more food passing through your body, more carbs, more sodium, just...more. Which is good. Fueling your body is a very good thing. But it also means all that water and food will be reflected in your scale weight. You will not be gaining fat.

That would be a very healthy and very sustainable way to go-and you will still lose fast enough to see progress-and when the time comes, you will have established healthy, sustainable eating habits that can carry you through the rest of your life - at your lower weight.

I work as a heavy equipment operator and dont get much activity. On my *kitten* pulling levers for about 12-14 hours a day. The most of my activity comes from turning my head and looking behind me 100 times a day. In the summer I get more activity because I get some daylight after work to be outside. Sedentary is probably accurate during winter months.

I wouldn't assume your job is the equivalent of sedentary. In fact I'd very much say it isn't. You are pulling levers and pushing pedals all day long, that burns calories. Given your rapid weight loss, even allowing for a large chunk of water weight the first week, you are clearly burning a lot of calories somehow, and my guess is it's your job. I'd probably set MFP to active.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Even at 1500 I always feel full and satisfied. That's with 3 meals and 3 snacks through the day. Just tried to add another 250 to it and I don t even know how I'm going to eat all that. Either you guys are messing with me or I just got a slow metabolism right now

Consider adding full-fat versions of things you're eating reduced fat versions of (like dairy foods), nuts or nut butters, avocados, fattier cuts of meat or fattier fish, using a bit more oil or butter on veggies/salads or in cooking, and things like that, that are calorie-dense but perhaps not as filling.

Some people find drinking calories less filling than eating them, so something like smoothies or juices could be a help.

If you've already got your nutrition dialed in pretty well on the low calories, it's also OK to add some less nutrient-dense treat foods to get to your calorie goal, too.

Losing as fast as you are, you don't have a fast metabolism. And a fast metabolism isn't really a thing, anyway (though some people do burn more calories than others, it's mostly behavioral).
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,525 Member
    edited January 2020
    Mfp sedentary is an activity factor of 1.25. lightly active 1.4. active 1.6; very active 1.8 for 24 hours.

Sleeping is actually a less than 1 MET activity. Off the top of my head I think it is .95 because it approaches BMR as opposed to rmr.

Heavy equipment operator sits on his *kitten*, but he is wearing boots, dressed with hard hat on, alert, functioning, dealing with vibration, twisting and turning.

MET value is 2.0 for heavy equipment operator. More than driving for example. And more then standing in line quietly.

I don't know if I would go all the way to very active; but sedentary you're not.

A lb is worth about 3500 Cal. Add your lost lbs to what you've eaten and divide by days.

You get TDEE.

I will assume that will be too high a number due to logging errors and initial water weight loss.

So instead of cutting 15% from that number, cut 20%

Eat it. Move/exercise more. Figure out the balance between healthy food and fun food that you can keep to for the next five years.

You don't drop weight and forget about it and magically maintain.

Figure out the long term.

(What did you do when the guys wanted to go for pizza and beers or to watch a game? Is that going to be your answer during the next five years?)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,525 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Are you suggesting wearing a hard hat burns extra calories? Cos I will totally start wearing mine everywhere, if so!

Only works if it's pink! :lol:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Are you suggesting wearing a hard hat burns extra calories? Cos I will totally start wearing mine everywhere, if so!

Only works if it's pink! :lol:

Oh boo, it's silver paisley. Surely that's close enough?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Yes most all of it came off really quickly in the beginning. 15 lbs on first week. That first week I was at 1700 calories a day. So how is 1500 too low of I don't feel hungry at all? I am eating good food to get my calories. I physically feel great. Best I have in years. But according some of you I should get a good life insurance plan. My body feels satisfied so how is that a bad thing?

When I started MFP, I had no idea what I was doing, so I wound up undereating. I had fast progress and felt absolutely great . . . until I didn't. I figured out what was wrong pretty quickly (thanks to lurking the forums) and was fortunately able to make adjustments before I suffered any lasting ill effects like hair loss. Still, I'm sure I lost more muscle than I wanted to and my energy absolutely tanked until I got things back in balance.

It's really common to feel energized and fantastic during the beginning of a very low calorie plan. This doesn't mean that you're eating enough.
  • VictorSmashes
    VictorSmashes Posts: 173 Member
    In no way am I diagnosing you, nor am I encouraging this, but what you are doing sounds a lot like anorexia. You will lose weight fast, but you could be damaging your organs, including your liver, kidneys, and heart by doing this. Whether or not it is anorexia (by which again, I am not suggesting, rather I think you should look into resources so you do not go down that path), you are toying with your muscles, bone density, organs etc. Losing weight this fast could put you on a fast-track to a cardiac event. Take it easy, count your calories, and gosh darn it, you have to account for calories lost during exercise.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member

There can be a honeymoon period. I felt supergood when I first started MFP. In fact, I felt like I did when I was on phen/fen in the 90s, but without the benefit of an amphetamine-like drug and a happy pill.

Fat goes down easily - use more butter or oil, or have some peanut butter or nuts.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • dirtycory
    edited January 2020
    According to what "Google" and many articles says a safe and healthy weight for me is about 160. That would be 90 pounds I needed to lose. I was shooting for 200 and go from there. 175 would be about right for me . So that's 75 lbs from where I started. So by that chart above I should be shooting for 2lbs a week with 1000 calories deficit.
    I don't any of this is a one size fits all recipe. Everyone is different
  • dirtycory
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Mfp sedentary is an activity factor of 1.25. lightly active 1.4. active 1.6; very active 1.8 for 24 hours.

Sleeping is actually a less than 1 MET activity. Off the top of my head I think it is .95 because it approaches BMR as opposed to rmr.

Heavy equipment operator sits on his *kitten*, but he is wearing boots, dressed with hard hat on, alert, functioning, dealing with vibration, twisting and turning.

MET value is 2.0 for heavy equipment operator. More than driving for example. And more then standing in line quietly.

I don't know if I would go all the way to very active; but sedentary you're not.

A lb is worth about 3500 Cal. Add your lost lbs to what you've eaten and divide by days.

You get TDEE.

I will assume that will be too high a number due to logging errors and initial water weight loss.

So instead of cutting 15% from that number, cut 20%

Eat it. Move/exercise more. Figure out the balance between healthy food and fun food that you can keep to for the next five years.

You don't drop weight and forget about it and magically maintain.

Figure out the long term.

(What did you do when the guys wanted to go for pizza and beers or to watch a game? Is that going to be your answer during the next five years?)

No way. Every equipment operator I know that's been doing it for more than 10 years if over weight. No way im considered active.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited January 2020
    According to what "Google" and many articles says a safe and healthy weight for me is about 160. That would be 90 pounds I needed to lose. I was shooting for 200 and go from there. 175 would be about right for me . So that's 75 lbs from where I started. So by that chart above I should be shooting for 2lbs a week with 1000 calories deficit.
    I don't any of this is a one size fits all recipe. Everyone is different

But you were far overshooting 2 lbs/week, so clearly your deficit has been much larger, and now it's time to dial it down to 1 lb/week.

How many calories does MFP give you for 1 lb/week set at lightly active?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    If you set for 2lbs per week, you should def be eating back cals burned from exercise
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    erickirb wrote: »
    If you set for 2lbs per week, you should def be eating back cals burned from exercise

He should be doing that no matter what (at least half, until he has real data to verify his burns).
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    try2again wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »

He should be doing that no matter what (at least half, until he has real data to verify his burns).

true, but if he chose 0.5lbs/week, there is more wiggle room to lose more by creating a larger deficit than 250 cals
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Sometimes you lose a lot and then your body decides to hold onto water a while. As long as you are logging accurately you will get back to losing before long.