Peanut butter v Almond butter

Replies

• JennDoingTheThing
    JennDoingTheThing Posts: 24 Member
    I just like the taste of almond butter better. I love almonds, but can't eat them because they're too hard for my very sensitive teeth. Almond butter just makes total sense to me. I don't know why people demonize peanut butter though.. unless you have allergies to it.
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    I like both, and prefer to make them rather than buy them premade. This makes them both even more healthy without all the additives, etc the manufacturers put in them. They both have distinctively different tastes.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    aries68mc wrote: »
    I like both, and prefer to make them rather than buy them premade. This makes them both even more healthy without all the additives, etc the manufacturers put in them. They both have distinctively different tastes.

I think making them can be the most cost-effective option, and I like to do that too, sometimes, but you can buy them without anything but peanuts and salt or almonds and salt (and probably without salt too, I simply haven't looked for that).
  • lemurcat2
    edited January 2020
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I don't know but it annoys me when people act like almonds are this superior healthy nut and suggest "a handful of almonds" if you're hungry in between meals etc. Almonds suck. They don't taste good. PB wins for me although cashews and pecans are even better (although I haven't tried pecan butter, that sounds delightful)

I think almonds and almond butter are delicious, but if people are acting like almonds are some superior nut, that is silly. I haven't seen that yet (although I do recall when walnuts were supposed to be the best nut). I have seen anti peanut sentiment, as noted above.
  • Savannahmiamaddie
    Savannahmiamaddie Posts: 54 Member
    I usually buy peanut butter because it costs less. One concern I have about almonds, in general, is the negative impact of large scale almond farming. I am an amateur bee keeper. I recently learned that every year semi-truck loads of bees are shipped to California to pollinate the trees. A lot of the bees are killed due to the use of pesticides, fungicides and the stress of shipping them.

https://www.honeycolony.com/article/california-almonds-killing-bees/
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I like both. I do limit peanut butter though. The reason is to limit exposure to aflotoxin, a mold that can form on peanuts and isn't reduced by heating. The risk in peanuts grown in the U.S. is not very high but is higher in peanuts from developing countries in tropical climates. I live in southern Mexico.
  • mi_nina_lola
    mi_nina_lola Posts: 767 Member
    costco almond butter - my personal nut butter crack . delicious compared to other almond butters i've had before. i'm not a fan of peanut butter.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Almonds are quite water intensive, so pb is cheaper and I think more environment friendly. There's a shop near me where I can get it freshly ground in a reusable glass container, so I do that.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    I just like the taste of almond butter better. I love almonds, but can't eat them because they're too hard for my very sensitive teeth. Almond butter just makes total sense to me. I don't know why people demonize peanut butter though.. unless you have allergies to it.

Probably because PB is cheap and common ;)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    aries68mc wrote: »

I think making them can be the most cost-effective option, and I like to do that too, sometimes, but you can buy them without anything but peanuts and salt or almonds and salt (and probably without salt too, I simply haven't looked for that).

I found it pretty easily without salt, out here in a US flyover state, mid-sized city. I suspect it's fairly easy in most of the US, maybe very easy.

I found that I don't like it unsalted, though; and it's one of those things that I don't find enough difference between homemade and good commercial forms that it's worth dealing with the hassle/mess (even though I know it isn't a huge hassle/mess).
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    i prefer blue diamond almonds & creamy peanut butter...almond butter is overpriced!

You can make it easily with almonds (and peanut butter easily with peanuts). My store-bought versions were the same price, but I could have found peanut butter easily, probably (I only like the kind that's only peanuts and salt, however).

It's always so strange to me that peanut butter without sugar is not the norm in the US. There are a few brands here now that have sugar (usually cheaper brands and store brands), but when I was a kid sugar in peanut butter was not a thing.

And if you have trouble deciding between peanut and almond, there's always this! https://shop.fixandfogg.co.nz/products/everything-butter

EB_Shopify_540x.jpg?v=1563141109

(Have not tried, so cannot give a review, but willing to take one for the team and get a jar on pay day)
  • lemurcat2
    edited January 2020
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    i prefer blue diamond almonds & creamy peanut butter...almond butter is overpriced!

You can make it easily with almonds (and peanut butter easily with peanuts). My store-bought versions were the same price, but I could have found peanut butter easily, probably (I only like the kind that's only peanuts and salt, however).

It's always so strange to me that peanut butter without sugar is not the norm in the US. There are a few brands here now that have sugar (usually cheaper brands and store brands), but when I was a kid sugar in peanut butter was not a thing.

Not the norm, no (and I'm pretty sure that's why I disliked peanut butter as a kid, in part, as the first time I tried the only peanuts and salt kind I liked it). However, pretty easy to find these days, IME.

The ingredient that will appear even in a lot of the nut butters that don't have sugar is palm oil, which I certainly don't want, but as noted above you can find those without it as well (pretty easily, IMO, but I'm in a big city so am glad Ann confirmed and has checked for the no salt kinds too).
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member

And if you have trouble deciding between peanut and almond, there's always this! https://shop.fixandfogg.co.nz/products/everything-butter

(Have not tried, so cannot give a review, but willing to take one for the team and get a jar on pay day)

@Nony_Mouse 😱 must look for this.

I’ve always loved all types of nut butters. Once i realized how easy it is to throw nuts in the vitamix and purée ... I rarely buy the ones in the store. I grew up on all the varieties with sugar in it. Wasn’t til I was an adult i had peanut butter with no sugar and actually loved it!

Still have to look for that brand you suggested. 😉

@lemurcat2 - palm oil - the stuff appears in so many items!
  • Nony_Mouse

I’ve always loved all types of nut butters. Once i realized how easy it is to throw nuts in the vitamix and purée ... I rarely buy the ones in the store. I grew up on all the varieties with sugar in it. Wasn’t til I was an adult i had peanut butter with no sugar and actually loved it!

@Safari_Gal_ , unless you're in New Zealand, you're out of luck, sorry!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member

@Nony_Mouse dah!!!!!! Guess I’ll have to make the trip! :)
  • Nony_Mouse

@Nony_Mouse dah!!!!!! Guess I’ll have to make the trip! :)

Now that's dedication!

They don't officially do international orders from the online shop, but apparently if you email them they will do their best to help you out. Probably hellishly expensive, though still cheaper than a plane ticket to come get some yourself!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Okay, I finally got the jar of Everything Butter.

O.M.G.

Most of 15g went in my shake, with spoon licked to get the full effect. Seriously, seriously good! Sesame flavour dominated in the shake, but spoon sample gave hits of everything.

I also noticed they have a new PB flavour - coffee and maple. I'm not convinced enough of this to buy a jar, so will go for a sample next time I'm in the city. They also now do a chocolate hazelnut and a chocolate almond butter.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member

I can always find PB without sugar in my supermarkets, but they do tend to put it on the top or bottom shelves, and there are more options with sugar.

I accidentally bought PB with sugar from Whole Foods - I was shopping online with Prime and thought I was buying the one I normally get, but I was sadly, sadly mistaken :s
  • chelleedub
    chelleedub Posts: 50 Member
    One isn't better than the other; it's a matter of taste. But whichever you choose, the only ingredients should be nuts or nuts and salt. That's it.