What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    ejbronte wrote: »
    alexmose wrote: »
    Carbs on pizza is an abomination. Brownies that are ALMOST baked are the best. Jk I’d eat raw dough/batter whenever.

Wait... so.. like the whole pizza? I mean, carbs is kind of the thing that makes it pizza. Or do you mean things like mac n cheese pizza?

Maybe they mean as a topping? In which case, I'm in agreement: I have a similar view about two starches at the same meal.

I think it is mellow mushroom that has a pizza with potatoes on it. It is quite horrible. You can't rule out carbs on a pizza because the tomato sauce has carbs. Pineapple though should not be on a savory pizza either.

Agreed, the tomato sauce and any veggies would be a "carb" topping. I have seen pies that have pasta as a topping - either a baked ziti pie or a buffalo mac & cheese pie, and I'd agree that's ridiculous. I've never seen potato on pizza but that would also be bizarre. So I'd agree that fruit or starchy carbs on a pizza is wrong.

One of the local places here has an "Idaho" pizza that's topped with mashed potatoes (as the "sauce") cheddar, and bacon. I love it.

I mean, I love you, and I'm sorry, but... no. :tongue:

This. I love white pizzas with cream/alfredo sauce instead of tomato sauce but mashed potatoes just sounds too much.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2020
    puffbrat wrote: »
    Carbs on pizza is an abomination. Brownies that are ALMOST baked are the best. Jk I’d eat raw dough/batter whenever.

Wait... so.. like the whole pizza? I mean, carbs is kind of the thing that makes it pizza. Or do you mean things like mac n cheese pizza?

Maybe they mean as a topping? In which case, I'm in agreement: I have a similar view about two starches at the same meal.

I think it is mellow mushroom that has a pizza with potatoes on it. It is quite horrible. You can't rule out carbs on a pizza because the tomato sauce has carbs. Pineapple though should not be on a savory pizza either.

Agreed, the tomato sauce and any veggies would be a "carb" topping. I have seen pies that have pasta as a topping - either a baked ziti pie or a buffalo mac & cheese pie, and I'd agree that's ridiculous. I've never seen potato on pizza but that would also be bizarre. So I'd agree that fruit or starchy carbs on a pizza is wrong.

One of the local places here has an "Idaho" pizza that's topped with mashed potatoes (as the "sauce") cheddar, and bacon. I love it.

This. I love white pizzas with cream/alfredo sauce instead of tomato sauce but mashed potatoes just sounds too much.

A local chain has a rosemary chicken pizza with grilled chicken, rosemary potatoes, roasted garlic, fresh herbs, and mozzarella cheese over white wine lemon sauce (instead of the tomato). I haven't tried it, but I would, I suppose (it's not my favorite place so I don't have their pizza much).

I don't see carbs other than tomato sauce, vegetables, and occasional fruit (yes, I think pineapple is acceptable) very often. It does seem like a weird concept to add a starchy carb on top of crust.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member

Teehee. I'm trying to decide if it's a midwest thing or if it was just my little work group, lol. We all loved it, got it every week.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

Teehee. I'm trying to decide if it's a midwest thing or if it was just my little work group, lol. We all loved it, got it every week.

I do want to add that as I pondered this I thought of a knish, which is at it's most basic mashed potatoes inside a dough crust. And they are delightful. So this may be more of a "that isn't really pizza" as opposed to "that is unacceptable". I'm not sure. :confused:
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 527 Member
    I hate coffee. Can't stand the smell of it, or the taste of it. My DIL gets so upset with me because she makes a "prize winning" devil's food cake (and I'm a chocoholic!) and I simply can't eat it because she puts 1/2 C of black coffee in her batter. And yes, I can taste it over all the chocolate!

And mashed 'taters with bacon and cheese on a pizza crust? Sounds VERY interesting, I'd definitely try it!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member

I admit it sounds weird to me, but I'm intrigued nonetheless (without the bacon!). I know you don't live all that far from me; I may need to figure this out. ;)
  • AnnPT77

Afterthought: Pickle pizzas seem to be a thing around here, lately. I dunno if that's Michigan/Midwest, or just a growing thing. Usually dill pickles, alfredo sauce, dill weed, maybe extra garlic, and optionally chicken.

Defo oddball: Local food-truck pizza guy used to camp out at a brewpub I go to, and I'd buy his pizzas occasionally. One night after dark, I was walking back to my car when he called out "Hey, Ann - wanna try something?". After verifying that it was vegetarian, I said yes, without knowing what it was (remember, it was dark: he was holding out a small slice to me, but I couldn't see it).

Peanut butter and jelly pizza. So, so, transporting good! Melty peanut butter, melty jelly, nice chewy fast-bake handmade brick-oven-fired crust. Not on the menu: He was just playing. :yum:

You anti-peanut-butter folks wouldn't like it, nor pizza purists. More for me!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Afterthought: Pickle pizzas seem to be a thing around here, lately. I dunno if that's Michigan/Midwest, or just a growing thing. Usually dill pickles, alfredo sauce, dill weed, maybe extra garlic, and optionally chicken.

Defo oddball: Local food-truck pizza guy used to camp out at a brewpub I go to, and I'd buy his pizzas occasionally. One night after dark, I was walking back to my car when he called out "Hey, Ann - wanna try something?". After verifying that it was vegetarian, I said yes, without knowing what it was (remember, it was dark: he was holding out a small slice to me, but I couldn't see it).

Peanut butter and jelly pizza. So, so, transporting good! Melty peanut butter, melty jelly, nice chewy fast-bake handmade brick-oven-fired crust. Not on the menu: He was just playing. :yum:

As a pizza purist :wink: I would say that sounds yummy (especially after some time in a pub), but it's not pizza. Just because something is put on a disc of dough doesn't make it pizza dagnabbit :lol:
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member

That pickle pizza sounds amazing! My husband always teases me because in spite of my major sweet tooth, I hate sweet pickles and love dill pickles. A pizza with white sauce, pickles, dill and garlic would be heaven.
  • RelCanonical

I haven't heard of pickle pizzas, although I might have just skipped over them because I'm not a pickle person. I would die for a peanut butter and jelly pizza though.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

Just for the record, I have yet to see mashed potatoes on a pizza, OR dill pickles, and I live in the midwest.

On the other hand, I remember when there was a restaurant here called the Mashed Potato Club (see old NYT article, I guess it fit their brief of "things in the midwest to tell people about": https://www.nytimes.com/1997/01/08/garden/mashed-potatoes-for-the-brave.html).

The weird thing was that it was not too far from Boystown and the decor was very reflective of that, and the servers tended to be hot guys in tight shirts. Funny for a place called Mashed Potato Club, as it was already into the Atkins/carb phobic era back when I went a few times.

From the article:

"The menu lists the 10 most popular combinations. At the top is one of spinach, goat cheese and sun-dried tomatoes; a topping of macadamia nuts, raspberries, whipped cream and chocolate is eighth....

The 64-seat restaurant uses 200 to 400 pounds of potatoes each night, with reds outselling sweets 5 to 1.

Mr. Kovach, who spent more than two decades working in restaurants before opening his own, could recall only one topping combination that made him wince.

''Someone ordered red potatoes topped with peanut butter, horseradish and sour cream,'' he said. ''I'm glad I didn't have to eat it.''

Appetizer-size portions of potatoes are $4.50, entrees are $6.50. Toppings are priced from 75 cents for items like pepperoncini, pickles, onions or carrots to $7.95 for crab. Entrees not based on potatoes are $9.95 to $19.95. Major credit cards are accepted, but reservations are not."
  • AnnPT77

I haven't heard of pickle pizzas, although I might have just skipped over them because I'm not a pickle person. I would die for a peanut butter and jelly pizza though.

If you ever get to Lansing on the right day/time, call up Detroit Frankie and ask him to make you one. Bet he will, no actual death required. He keeps moving around, but you should be able to find him online.

As a bonus, he's charmingly eccentric.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member

If you ever get to Lansing on the right day/time, call up Detroit Frankie and ask him to make you one. Bet he will, no actual death required. He keeps moving around, but you should be able to find him online.

Tell him Ann sent ya. B)
  • Troutrouter1968
    Troutrouter1968 Posts: 122 Member
    I can't stand how some people insist on "organic" or "non-GMO" products as if you are not eating healthy because you are just eating "regular" food. I also despise quinoa, kale, and beets.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I can't stand how some people insist on "organic" or "non-GMO" products as if you are not eating healthy because you are just eating "regular" food. I also despise quinoa, kale, and beets.

I am meh on all three of those foods, but I agree with you about the "regular" food. There was a small health food store in my neighborhood that had these huge ugly "conventional" signs on anything that wasn't organic...with a warning type label. Not exactly conducive to sales. So dramatic! :D
  • RelCanonical

Heck yeah, I might have to chance it the next time I take my GR-AA loop to visit old friends.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member
    I can live without bacon.

• Soda is gross it makes me feel ill