Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Stop Using Your Devices in the Sauna

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    And sometimes, you have no idea when someone is recording your conversation. Blind trust with blurred lines. Mmm hmm.

Yeah, this would be my concern.

A few years back I asked two girls (looked to be in the 12 to 14 year old range) who were taking selfies in the mirror to stop, because it was disrespectful of the privacy of other people who were undressing in the background, and they looked at me like they had no idea what I was talking about. I asked management to post a sign prohibiting the taking of photos or video in the locker room, but that never happened.

Recently my gym posted a sign on the sauna asking people not to be totally naked in the sauna, which some people used to do (I usually draped a towel over myself because I didn't want to make anyone uncomfortable). After reading this thread, I'm wondering if the sign is management's way of trying to push responsibility on the gym members for not getting pictures taken of themselves naked in the sauna.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @lynn_glenmont I've been lingering long on this one and mulling it over. I think you've hit the nail on the head. I can't help it. I'm leery. More clubs/gyms will be thinking about the liability as time goes by.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Is this already covered by policy? I can't imagine the owners being ok with any sort of recording device being used in a locker room or sauna.

The rules do state that you're not allowed to take video or photographs in the locker rooms and saunas, but sometimes they get wishy washy when it comes to just the device itself being present. "Well as long as they're not taking pictures they're fine" tends to be the answer. I guess it would be impossible to regulate anyways, without someone actively monitoring the area.

My gym had a similar policy, but one woman (friend of mine) noticed some unusual activity and reported another woman in the family changing rooms. She quietly told someone to get management and they confronted her and secured the phone.

https://www.kenoshanews.com/news/woman-pleads-guilty-in-secret-video-case/article_8cc24161-e295-5e78-a572-bcf3f13075ae.html

Not saying this happens everywhere, but it happens more often than we like to believe. Be careful.

did i know you were in kenosha?
    i'm in mke
  • jdh419
    jdh419 Posts: 65 Member
    I don't think it's good because everything gets hot. I am not sure it's good for phones or headsets. I wish there were Zen or meditative playing inside the sauna. But really anything goes in the gym I attend. It's not a spa, it's a working person's gym.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    The sauna is just a sauna. It works just as well as intended if someone is on their device as if they are not on their device.

It works as well as intended if your only intention is to sweat. You are correct there! But staring at your device won't give you the same lovely meditative qualities and it's possible your body won't enter a deep parasympathetic state as if you focused solely on your breathing (at least, not as quickly).

But perhaps I'm silly to assume people want more from saunas than just to sweat. I may be the odd ball out with that one. Personally, it's one of the few moments I have where I could have the opportunity to sit in absolute silence with no disruptions or responsibilities, and it's frustrating to have that stolen from me.

I haven't use a sauna in years but seems like when I did if anyone was in it, there was conversation. So even without electronics there wasn't silence.

This is exactly why I wear a waterproof MP3 player, never blasting though, it discourages people from making small talk with me, I don't want to talk to people in the sauna/pool, it's my peaceful time. For me it's the music that makes the experience meditative.

OP have you ever tried just asking people to turn it down if it's so loud you can hear the lyrics, I'd be surprised if anyone was intentionally listening to it so loud it bothered others.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Must be a pretty tame sauna if the devices can withstand them. The Finns crank saunas up to 100 centrigrade.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    The sauna is just a sauna. It works just as well as intended if someone is on their device as if they are not on their device.

It works as well as intended if your only intention is to sweat. You are correct there! But staring at your device won't give you the same lovely meditative qualities and it's possible your body won't enter a deep parasympathetic state as if you focused solely on your breathing (at least, not as quickly).

But perhaps I'm silly to assume people want more from saunas than just to sweat. I may be the odd ball out with that one. Personally, it's one of the few moments I have where I could have the opportunity to sit in absolute silence with no disruptions or responsibilities, and it's frustrating to have that stolen from me.

I haven't use a sauna in years but seems like when I did if anyone was in it, there was conversation. So even without electronics there wasn't silence.

The sauna at my gym is where the majority of the socializing goes on. People are done with their workouts and don't mind a little chit chat. People are usually fully clothed unless coming from or going swimming. I admit I don't see how the people in full sweats and jackets can stand it. I usually have to at least shed my shirt. Lots of people also workout in there or stretch. I'll use it to do hot yoga sometimes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    I am that one who wear the headphones, scroll through Facebook etc... I do turn down the music after I realized how loud it was in such a confined space. I will continue to wear my headphones, Facebook in the sauna. That is MY relaxation. I am fully clothed in the sauna as it is a coed sauna. There are people in there that exercise situps, pushups whatever that is THEIR thing.

I wouldn't expect everyone in a public sauna to abide to what I want them to do. If I have issues I would build my own private sauna.

There is etiquette though, just like gym etiquette. Exercising in a sauna is ridiculously against etiquette. I don't expect everything to be as it would be in a resort spa, but there is still etiquette. Not racking weights is bad etiquette in the gym and annoying, but I don't really see anyone saying, "well go build your own gym if it's annoying."

My sauna is also coed...a lot of people wear bathing suites and flip flops, including myself. Being fully clothed and in sneakers just seems really weird to me.

I have to amend my original comment somewhat as I realized last night that at my gym if you download their app your membership bar code can be pulled up on your phone and you have to use your bar code to get into certain parts of the gym with restricted membership access...so it makes sense to me now why people would have their devices with them in the sauna...they're using them to scan themselves in. I was just using my card which I will continue to do as I also like to take a dip in the hot tub and I don't want to just leave my phone laying around.

• Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited January 2020
    I go to a gym in NYC and use the steam room and sauna all the time - love the relaxation - for what it’s worth - I’ve never seen anyone on their device. 🤷‍♀️ It’s through the locker room so women only - never noticed anyone doing much chit chat or exercising in there .... just laying around in towels or in the buff “chillin” (or not haha)

• eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    And sometimes, you have no idea when someone is recording your conversation. Blind trust with blurred lines. Mmm hmm.

Yeah, this would be my concern.

A few years back I asked two girls (looked to be in the 12 to 14 year old range) who were taking selfies in the mirror to stop, because it was disrespectful of the privacy of other people who were undressing in the background, and they looked at me like they had no idea what I was talking about. I asked management to post a sign prohibiting the taking of photos or video in the locker room, but that never happened.

Recently my gym posted a sign on the sauna asking people not to be totally naked in the sauna, which some people used to do (I usually draped a towel over myself because I didn't want to make anyone uncomfortable). After reading this thread, I'm wondering if the sign is management's way of trying to push responsibility on the gym members for not getting pictures taken of themselves naked in the sauna.

Weird he only way to sauna or steam is naked imo. Now at my Y it is a premium change room limited to same sex adults (. Women have their own) I have seen Facebook comment from teens who sneak in complain8ng about naked old men. Lmao when I first went to the y with my great uncle guy in 1973 or so even the pool was clothing free. At that point it was Mycenaean and there was a separate ywca of course
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,930 Member
    My gym has saunas in the locker rooms and a steam out by the pool. I often see folks come in to the sauna before they play racquetball. I think they are just getting their bodies warm to play, not a full sauna session. Never in the steam.

I see folks bring in their music, and I can't imagine it's very good for the device at 120 degrees F. It's kind of amazing how much abuse people put these amazing (and expensive) devices through. I tried an experiment one time. I left my device in my locker, but I brought in my ear buds. They got really hot, and I took them back out and put them in my locker.

The sauna is DEFINITELY a place people chat in my gym. When I go at times that it's not busy, it's really nice to have the room to myself, but I have no expectation of it. There's almost ALWAYS at least one other person in the steam. When I have time, I do both.

Since the sauna is not co-ed, some folks opt not to wear shorts. Totally fine. Policy is no skin on the benches, so bring a towel to sit on. I think it's kind of sad that our culture creates some kind of shame associated with nudity. We're all born that way, and we all have bodies. There's nothing shameful. I've also noticed that most people shower without clothes on :smile: Doesn't seem to be an issue. The steam is co-ed, so everyone is clothed. Definitely a great way to warm up before a swim, and a great way to relax after. It's actually the steam room that attracts me to pay the premium price of this particular gym since it's not really conveniently located for me.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,930 Member
    KeriA wrote: »
    One woman started singing oldies in the shower and we all joined in at the Y. I don't take any electronics to the club since they get stolen.

I can't even imagine this happening, but if it did, I hope it would be a fun song. Mostly in my gym folks are just showering to clean off. There is this ONE guy who turns on TWO showers and stands in between both of them for a LONG time just wasting water. I hate that!
  • BeGrandLike
    BeGrandLike Posts: 184 Member
    So I'm really curious as to whether this is just a US thing, or whether people have had it happen in other places, too?

I'm not American, and I've never, ever seen anyone on their phone in the sauna. I've rarely even been present for people chatting there- maybe a hello and some short pleasantries, but then people tend to just go back to being quiet.

Like, it hadn't even occurred to me that anyone would ever even think to bring their phone in there! But I get it, cultures differ and so does what's normal in different places.

Have any other non-Americans noticed this, though?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    So I'm really curious as to whether this is just a US thing, or whether people have had it happen in other places, too?

I'm not American, and I've never, ever seen anyone on their phone in the sauna. I've rarely even been present for people chatting there- maybe a hello and some short pleasantries, but then people tend to just go back to being quiet.

Like, it hadn't even occurred to me that anyone would ever even think to bring their phone in there! But I get it, cultures differ and so does what's normal in different places.

Have any other non-Americans noticed this, though?

I'm from the UK and live in Ireland, I've never seen people with phones in a sauna either at home or when I've travelled around Europe/Middle East, but have seen others (like myself) using waterproof MP3 players.
  • Ironwoman1111
    Ironwoman1111 Posts: 3,913 Member
    I use the sauna after working out and almost everyone brings their phone in with them. It doesn’t bother me at all. But I would imagine it bothers the original poster like it bothers me when I go for a massage and I can hear people talking outside or music with lyrics.😠 It’s supposed to be relaxing!
    As a side note, I always change out of my workout clothes and into swimwear and I always sit or lie down on my towel because I don’t want other people’s sweat on me.😝