How often do you step on the scale?

I have weighed daily for a long time and am considering laying off for a while. I’m at my goal weight and want to work on recomp, so the scale may not reflect the changes I’m hoping to see. I got my body fat tested 3 weeks ago and plan to get that done again at the one month mark. I’ve also been taking my measurements intermittently for the last 5 years so there’s lots of data there to compare. Scale fluctuations can make or break my day, wish they didn’t but they do.

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I weigh daily, but sometimes take a break of a few weeks.
  • designerdiscounts
    designerdiscounts Posts: 517 Member
    I've weighed daily forever but I think my mood is too closely tied to the number I see there. So, although it'll probably be really hard, I'm not weighing for a week. My food is pretty dialed in, I log everything and know what calorie number I need to be below so this hopefully won't effect that side of things.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,116 Member
    I do best when I weigh once or twice a week. That works best to keep on top of it, without getting obsessed.

• MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    I weigh daily for the first 3 months then switch to weekly and focus more on my measurements.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    Sometimes every other day, sometimes once a week...but always 1st thing in the morning.
  • canthony3505
    canthony3505 Posts: 35 Member
    A couple of times a week. It fluctuates a good bit so weighing every day is pointless and just makes me obsess about it.
  • kierasayshi
    kierasayshi Posts: 67 Member
    I only weigh once a week. I refused to be married to the scale.
  • RoseyandReady
    RoseyandReady Posts: 256 Member
    One per week.
  • mrschwarten
    mrschwarten Posts: 194 Member
    I go through phases, where for weeks on end I'll weigh every day. Then I won't weigh in at all for a month or two, then I'll weigh in everyday for a little while. Back and forth! I can't say I've determined it to help or hinder my weight loss efforts, but it's almost like a pseudo-obsession for when I am in a weighing phase. Like I can't start my day at all, regardless of what the number is. And I think that's ok; I'm not freaking out about the numbers that pop up. It's almost like a little start-of-day ritual or something.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    I weigh myself every day...immediately after I wake up and use the bathroom. This is the weight I log, whether it is up or down. Sometimes I will weigh myself later in the day after a run to get an idea of how much fluid loss I suffered. I never log this weight, as I immediately drink it back (16 oz for every lb I loose).
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Once a week
  • cpstansburyuk
    cpstansburyuk Posts: 4 Member
    Once per week first thing in the morning. I tried weighing daily when I started on a diet plan but it just got frustrating. Now, every Sunday morning when I get up I get my weight and compare it to last week.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Daily, but I use a weight trend app (Happy Scale) and follow the trend weight it calculates automatically. This allows me to remove a lot of emotion from the daily fluctuations and focus more on the rational reasons of why they happen.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    i step on it every day but forget the number as soon as i step off. except on fridays, since that is my log day.

everybody is different as far as how good it is for their mental health to weigh frequently. if the normal daily fluctuations upset you, then weigh less frequently.
  • hereinmissouri
    hereinmissouri Posts: 11 Member
    Twice a week
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    I used to weigh everyday .... but as I get closer to my goal... I’ve been going with how my clothes fit.
    Maybe I weigh very 2-3 weeks now.