Has anyone tried those zero/low calorie shiritake noodles?

I've seen them at the grocery store but they are kinda slimy looking and I heard they smell funny. I'm afraid of buying them if they are gross.

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    They are very gross. Smell like fish, eat like rubber tires, and cause hours of stomach pain. Avoid this crap like the plague.
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,106 Member
    I’ve tried them and didn’t like them either. The texture is awful and they don’t satisfy my noodles cravings. They also left me hungry.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    I honestly didn't mind them - They are a bit weird to get used to, but if you cook it with a good sauce it can be pretty satisfying if you're low on calories. I would always prefer regular pasta/noodles, but they are good in certain situations. Just make sure you drink plenty of water as they are just full of fibre.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I like them they kind of remind me of overcooked squid smell and texture wise (which I don't mind) but if you rinse them and fry them they aren't as fishy and can work well
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Do you guys not get the horrible stomach ache? If I eat them I feel like I'm gonna die.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    They need to be prepared and cooked properly; out of the bag, I don't think they're very good. You need to rinse them well, and then I cook them on a dry nonstick skillet. This removes much of the odd taste, but they are still going to have a gelatinous consistency. They're not going to be just like pasta. Overall, I like them on very rare occasions.
  • sardelsa
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Do you guys not get the horrible stomach ache? If I eat them I feel like I'm gonna die.

I don't, but I also don't eat them that often. I do tend to have an iron stomach so I am probably the wrong person to ask :p Maybe it's a reaction to the amount or type of fibre?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Maybe it's just me but I don't see the point? I get that they could fill you up, but I eat food specifically because it has calories and/or is nutritious and/or tastes good. One that does 0 of the 3 doesn't serve any purpose for me.

Calories are something we all need to live and survive. It's just when we overeat them, that it becomes an issue.
  • sardelsa
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but I don't see the point? I get that they could fill you up, but I eat food specifically because it has calories and/or is nutritious and/or tastes good. One that does 0 of the 3 doesn't serve any purpose for me.

Calories are something we all need to live and survive. It's just when we overeat them, that it becomes an issue.

For some people feeling full is a benefit, they add volume with little calories. Some people have zero calorie drinks for that purpose too. I would imagine someone with a lower calorie goal or someone ultra lean who is cutting for competition for example could find them helpful. But since you don't find them beneficial then ya not a good fit for you
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »

For some people feeling full is a benefit, they add volume with little calories. Some people have zero calorie drinks for that purpose too. I would imagine someone with a lower calorie goal or someone ultra lean who is cutting for competition for example could find them helpful. But since you don't find them beneficial then ya not a good fit for you

Are they actually more filling than just drinking a glass of water though? They are 97% water, 3% indegestible fiber.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa wrote: »

Are they actually more filling than just drinking a glass of water though? They are 97% water, 3% indegestible fiber.

They are very filling for me, it's like swallowing a small balloon. Plus the time it takes to eat them might be a factor? I only eat them if I am on really low calories that day. I personally don't find water filling if I am really hungry.
  • Lindeeorr2320
    Lindeeorr2320 Posts: 1 Member
    They stink so rinse them but otherwise fantastic. I use them as a substitute anytime I cook the rest of my family pasta or spaghetti so I can feel “normal” I get mine from trimhralthymama.com
  • kpoe1981
    kpoe1981 Posts: 14 Member
    Thanks guys. I'll pick up a bag next time I shop. I found a few recipes so hey I'll give it a shot
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    I bought two packages of shiritake noodles, made the first one in an Asian dish (I've been making Asian recipes for decades and like my cooking), hated it, and composted the second package of noodles.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member

They came in handy when I was running the calories on a recipe for Asian Noodles in Peanut Sauce. Prepared with rice noodles, the dish was over 800 calories/serving. Switching out the rice noodles for shiritake, it was more like 420. I'm a short woman. I needed to save those 400+ calories!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Ok - guess I’m going to be the outlier (again lol) 😉

I do like them - I buy the macaroni shape from my local Asian market. They have a ton of different types and shapes of yam and shirataki noodles. I find the smaller shapes more versatile than the long noodles.

I rinse them / dry em out a lil and the dry bake or fry. I add them to salad / or make Mac and cheese!
    Macaroni salad!

Also nice with some vegetables and a lil oil and vinegar. 😋

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Shiritaki noodles do not "stink" if prepared properly but they are very expensive and not a acceptable substitute for wheat pasta and IMO are best used in soups, like rice vermicelli.
  • RoseyandReady
    RoseyandReady Posts: 256 Member
    How long does it take to get rid of that smell?? I literally just opened a package, put it in the strainer and started to rinse them under cold water 😑😑😑
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I like them in Asian-style dishes, as they're kind of like rice noodles in taste/texture.

When I rinse them well, I don't have an issue with the smell and they've never caused stomach issues for me. I'm thinking this is going to be one of those things that really individual.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    They are very gross. Smell like fish, eat like rubber tires, and cause hours of stomach pain. Avoid this crap like the plague.

100% this!