Ladies: Camino de Santiago or other walking tours?

Ladies, have any of you done the Camino de Santiago, the Coast to Coast, Offa’s *kitten*, the Cornwall route, the temple pilgrimage in Japan or any other solo waking tour?

I’m interested in doing a walking tour, husband isn’t a walker, and I’d like to convince him it’s safe if I decide to go by myself for a week or two. He isn’t “getting” this,

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    My friend went to Camino de Santiago back in the fall. She's a very fit 71 yo. She and her dh were gone for about 5 weeks, walked around 450 miles. She said she met some wonderful people and there were quite a few on the walk that she'd run into. It was an amazing experience for her and was so glad she went. This was her 1st time but her dh's 2nd walk.
    Whichever you choose, I hope you enjoy yourself!!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    I know several people who have done various routes of the Camino, but they did it for several weeks or months, not just a short hike. Fantastic experience if you enjoy meeting a lot of people.
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    I’ve done coast to coast with a group tour then hadrians wall self guided. Am researching Camino for next year and west highland way. You can do a lot of these self guided and you meet a lot of people along the way. There are services that will even forward your baggage from place to place so you only need a day pack and they book your accommodations . Or you can go with an organized group and meet people that way. Macs Adventures is just one of many self guided walking companies.
  • fourtotwentychars
    fourtotwentychars Posts: 36 Member
    Offa, 8th century king of Mercia, was well known as an animal lover. Couldn't stand the Welsh, built a big wall to keep them out.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member
    I knew that. But Offa’s “Unmentionable” is the name of the wall, and there’s supposed to be a really lovely multi day walk along the path it used to follow.

Thanks for the info, y’all. I’m seriously thinking about this. The Portuguese Camino (coastal option) sounds the most appealing. I mentioned it to my walking buddy this
    morning and she told me her sister just did it last year. Small world.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    I walked the Hadrian's Wall in the UK and Great Glen Walk in Scotland. In both cases we met solowalkers We went through a company that took our luggage and stayed in pre-booked hotels/B&Bs selected by the company
    There are a number of companies that do it We used Macs Adventures
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    edited January 2020
    I know I'm breaking the rules as I'm not a lady, but actually have some input.

A coworker of mine did one of the pilgrimage type things in Spain a couple years ago, and they enjoyed it. I would say she is a very conservative person who has led a somewhat "local" life and not been exposed to the bad sides of things much. But her and a friend were still quite comfortable doing it.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    OMFG. Offa’s D Y K E. It’s a place!!!!!!

LOL.

And no, but it's something I've been thinking about off and on for a while and I'd really like to.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    A former coworker hiked the Oregon and Washington section of the PCT alone for her 50th birthday. She wasn't truly alone, she made friends along the way. She says she would do it again in a heartbeat.
  • springlering62
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I have bought airline tickets and plan to do two and a half weeks on the Portuguese Way. It’s 170 miles, which is a very easy 12 1/2 miles a day. I do that easily just walking around town, so I have the luxury of pushing it if I want, or stopping to smell the roses. If I hump it even just a little, I can add in the Finisterre leg, too.

@sgt1372 thank you especially for your kind advice and concern. I’m already trying to connect some ladies on a ladies only Camino FB group.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    edited January 2020

@sgt1372 thank you especially for your kind advice and concern. I’m already trying to connect some ladies on a ladies only Camino FB group.

You're welcome!

I don't know why anyone would disagree w/what I said but that's MFP 4u. I have long since learned to ignore such things here

In any event, I hope that you have a wonderful adventure on the Camino. :)
  • schaferelsa
    schaferelsa Posts: 27 Member
    I am planning on walking the Camino Frances anyone going anytime soon ? I am goinn in 2021 in the spring
  • springlering62
    I am planning on walking the Camino Frances anyone going anytime soon ? I am goinn in 2021 in the spring

I leave April 21, plan to start walking the Portuguese Espiritual route beginning on the 23rd.

Try to connect with some of the Facebook groups. I’m joined the Camigas group and a couple of ladies only groups specific to the Portuguese. It’s been really helpful. Sometimes, too helpful. Merciful heavens if you ran right out and bought all the suggested gear, you’d need a pushcart.
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
    I hiked the Cotswolds last October. One of the innkeepers said the people who have difficulty are from places that are flat. I live in the Appalachian mountains so I never see flat. It was hilly, and muddy, and windy, and wonderful. I used a company called Macs Adventures. They book your accommodations, move your luggage, give you a map and off you go. There are other companies that do the same thing.