Lost 25 lbs in 3 weeks now nothing on 4th week

Replies

• dirtycory
    dirtycory Posts: 32 Member
    Eating more is not coming easy to me. Might seem kind of odd. If I'm not hungry I just don't know why I should force some food down. The little bit more I have been eating i need to make better choices I feel I'm picking more carbs. But all in all I don't think that percentages are bad macro wise.izpy4gwcagba.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    You might try increasing fats: They're calorie-dense, can be healthful (prefer things like nuts, nut butter, olive oil, fatty fish, avocados), and while some find them filling, not everyone does. If your sat fats aren't unduly high, butter or cheese, other full-fat dairy, could also be good, or fatty meats.

Some more protein wouldn't hurt anything, either, but you're not crazy-mad-low IMO. (If you're aiming to weigh 175, then something in the range of 105-140 would be OK, though more is fine, too. (That's 0.6-0.8g per pound of a healthy goal weight, loosely equivalent to 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass for most people.)

52g+ of fat would be minimally good, since you're a guy (0.3g per pound of healthy goal weight) and can be higher.

The MFP defaults are OK for most people, but the grams/pound things can dial it in a bit more. Above ratios are just my preferences, but fairly widely agreed on among us MFP crowd-followers. ;)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    You might try increasing fats: They're calorie-dense, can be healthful (prefer things like nuts, nut butter, olive oil, fatty fish, avocados), and while some find them filling, not everyone does. If your sat fats aren't unduly high, butter or cheese, other full-fat dairy, could also be good, or fatty meats.

Some more protein wouldn't hurt anything, either, but you're not crazy-mad-low IMO. (If you're aiming to weigh 175, then something in the range of 105-140 would be OK, though more is fine, too. (That's 0.6-0.8g per pound of a healthy goal weight, loosely equivalent to 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass for most people.)

52g+ of fat would be minimally good, since you're a guy (0.3g per pound of healthy goal weight) and can be higher.

The MFP defaults are OK for most people, but the grams/pound things can dial it in a bit more. Above ratios are just my preferences, but fairly widely agreed on among us MFP crowd-followers. ;)

^^What Aunty Ann said :)

Nuts could be a really good option for you, something you can snack on while moving dirt.
  • AnnPT77
    BTW & just FTR: I do empathize with your difficulties getting in adequate calories/nutrition, especially today.

I had a wild & crazy evening yesterday, lots of calories but unbalanced nutrition, so my goal today was just to get in enough protein (100g goal) and fat (50g) and a bunch of nice veggies/fruit to counteract that, ideally keeping that well within calorie goal because I frankly wasn't very hungry. The veg/fruit goal was particularly challenging (all that fiber, yikes), and I only made it to around 9 servings, if I don't count sauerkraut or salsa (not eaten together!). Ended the day with peanut butter on crackers, to even get within hailing distance of my fat goal (ended up just 1g short, close enough ;) ).

A low day now and then on any category is OK, but I really wanted some remedial nutrition.

You're making good progress. Sometimes, if you've been doing something more like the standard American diet (high fats, large amounts of processed grain foods like baked goods, high sugar = very high calories, less satiating), then a diet that's more nutrient-dense can be very filling at first. (I don't know whether that describes your previous eating or not, but it's a common scenario).

Hang in there, and keep tweaking things! :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    Don't forget to use a weight trend app when you're showing your loss. Ups and downs are not guaranteed to coincide with "special weekly weigh-in date" 😉
  • AnnPT77
    I can't remember if we told you that increasing your calorie may cause a small jump on the scale that is not fat regain.

Increasing calories does 2 relevant things in this regard:

(1) It increases the physical volume of food in transit in your digestive system, and that food has weight. At higher calories, the average daily "food in transit" weight is a little higher, and it's not fat. If you drink a pint of water, you gain a pound, most of which leaves your body eventually as waste. Much of food weight does the same thing. It's meaningless.
    (2) Usually, eating more food means eating relatively more carbs and sodium/salt. Carbs, while being metabolized, are held in your body with a few grams of water per gram of carbs (I always forget whether its 3g or 4g of water per gram of carbs :| ). Sodium requires a bit of water to balance electrolytes. For a period of time, as your average amounts of these increase, water retention will increase a little. That's also meaningless.

Both of these things are normal and natural. They can temporarily mask continuing fat loss on your bodyweight scale, and make it look like you're losing more slowly than expected, or even gaining when you should be losing.

It's calorie level that determines fat gain/loss. At the proper calorie level, you will be losing fat. The fact that water weight can temporarily obscure that is one reason why we recommend waiting a few weeks after adopting an new routine, before adjusting . . . let alone panicking. Ongoing fat loss will show up on the scale, it may just take a little time for the clouds to clear and show it.
  • dirtycory
    dirtycory Posts: 32 Member
    I didn't really understand the science behind it but I did see a small jump already. Also did see the rise in sodium intake but did not correlate the relation between the 2. Not panicking, just letting it ride. I do understand that changes, even small will affect the body.

With that being said, maybe a little off topic but how long does it usually take for a regulated bowel movements after a big change? Before I switched eating habits, I was always once a day at relatively same time.

Now, it's all over the place. I do wonder since I have quit drinking soda, and chewing tobacco, I have got rid of 2 stimulants. Not sure how much of an effect that has on the situation.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Yep, dropping the stimulants can have an impact, as can changing foods. It will sort itself out. In the meantime, make sure you're getting enough fibre, and staying well hydrated.
  • AnnPT77
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Yep, dropping the stimulants can have an impact, as can changing foods. It will sort itself out. In the meantime, make sure you're getting enough fibre, and staying well hydrated.

Plus adequate fats, say 0.3-0.45g per pound of healthy goal weight, so 53-79g for you at 175. (Diary looks like you're mostly OK on that, but it's a factor.)

Give it a couple of days; if feeling uncomfortable, take some mild OTC remedy, and try to dial in the dietary factors. Adaptation to a new diet can take a couple of weeks, but you can't wait that long to go. :grimace:

You'll get there. Hang in! :)
  • Littlepeeper
    Littlepeeper Posts: 56 Member
    Wonderful to hear that your whole family has benefited from your personal determination and desire to change. You look much healthier and youthful.
  • Chanda7799
    Chanda7799 Posts: 20 Member
    Great job on the loss!!! You’re truly off to a great start! Don’t sweat one week! You’ve already made amazing progress!
  • coblujay
    coblujay Posts: 688 Member
    Congratulations! I love that you stuck with it and listened to the wisdom of the people who have walked the walk. I read through the whole thread and was so inspired by all the knowledge and, in some cases, tough love. Lots of golden nuggets to consider.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Great job!!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,408 Member
    I love it when people come back and share these stories. So many times you’re left wondering, and kinda sad.

Awesome job! And family came along for the ride, too???!!!!!!
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    I just have read your last post. I was going to suggest you to try keto and low carb, but reading last post I understood that you have had long journey and now you know much more than many people on the site. Plus you have living proof, that if nothing else works, then keto and low calories the way to go. While majority of people count endless calories and make precise calculations thinking that 1785 is very different from 1800 cal a day, you got the job done for 17 months. Congrats to you, what else I can say?