To Eat or Not To Eat

I started a new job that requires a lot of travel to rural areas. It's difficult and sometimes impossible to find restaurants that serve what we know today as healthy dinners. When given the options of eating fatty foods or no food at all, is better to eat or not to eat? I've been carrying extra protien bars with me but I'm eating 4 or more in a day when I travel. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jc1695
    jc1695 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you everyone for the input. I failed to mention that I have a lot of diet restrictions due to stomach problems. High fiber foods and legumes are not allowed. Neither is lactose. I go to lumber mills often in the middle of the woods. McDonalds and a gas station are often the only thing within 30+ miles. I stick to a 45% carb, 35% protein, 20% fat diet. I can get a plain grilled chicken sandwich from McDonalds but I don't want to have that too often with all that sodium. I was mainly curious if it was better to eat or wait until I get to a hotel.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Is an ice chest stocked with healthy foods an option for you? I have restrictions too (diabetes) and I've quickly learned that I'd better bring my own when traveling.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    One go-to option I use while travelling is soup! If there is a broth-based soup, I get a large bowl of soup and sometimes a side salad. It's a lot of food and usually the calorie profile is manageable.

Another option is to order something like a steak and ask for double veggies and no carb. It's a calorie saver (I'm not low carbz but do this sometimes when eating out to save calories).

A bowl or cup of chili is also a good option. Add abaked potsto, and that's a decent meal (I order that at Wendy's). There are also ways to do fast food within reasonable calories, too, if you know what to order ahead of time.

I find a banana and a Greek yogurt is a good, lower calorie breakfast option available at most hotels.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,538 Member
    edited January 2020
    I don't know if your sodium restriction is hard medical or preference

Depending on your calories you may or may not need protein to be as high as 35%

Many gas stations have single serve soups.

Have you checked out the macros on hamburger meat?

Personally at McDonald's, I would eat a McDouble with an extra reg meat patty (0.3 oz meat total with one slice cheese on a regular hamburger bun), plus three-times red onions and three-time slivered onions).

Or I would get a bacon and egg McMuffin with 3x + 3x onions as above, no butter, plus depending on the situation / time, maybe an extra poached egg, or single regular meat patty to add to it.

Alternatives if I wanted to stay with a single sandwich and could tolerate greasy that day (however I do find it curiously satiating) I might get a sausage and egg McMuffin as per above for no butter and 3+3x onions and extra egg.

When heading out for a dog walk in the summer, especially if I'm starting out too late and will have to delay dinner because of it, I find that a vanilla cone ice cream plus extra large, light ice, 50-50 mix of diet Coke and Coke Zero, is good for a 2 or 3 hour delay before I get dinner.

Black regular or decaf coffee extra large, and in the summer their dollar drink ice coffee, no liquid sugar, light ice, sub milk

Pretty much all of the above are between 300 and 600 calories, and the macros are not extremely terrible other than saturated fat. (Diet Coke and coffee even less!)
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    pack a lunch/dinner?
  • jc1695
    jc1695 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks again for the advice. Packing a lunch would be an option if this was a one day trip. It is normally 3 - 5 days and without refrigeration, most packed lunches won't tolerate outdoor southern ambient temperature that long. My primary question was is it better to eat fatty foods so that you have some nutrients or skip the meal entirely to avoid the fat. There is some good advice in here and I'll use to figure out a solution.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    My little meal prep bag goes with me to work every day

a3tsf7ixh11a.jpeg
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    edited January 2020
    jc1695 wrote: »
    Thanks again for the advice. Packing a lunch would be an option if this was a one day trip. It is normally 3 - 5 days and without refrigeration, most packed lunches won't tolerate outdoor southern ambient temperature that long. My primary question was is it better to eat fatty foods so that you have some nutrients or skip the meal entirely to avoid the fat. There is some good advice in here and I'll use to figure out a solution.

Definitely, eat!

And: you mention avoiding eating fatty foods, and avoiding eating fat.

Unless you have a specific medical reason for doing so (and if so: please listen to your DOCTOR and not some rando on the internet), there's no real reason to avoid fat, per se. Personally, I find that having a greater proportion of fat in my meals makes me feel full for longer, so I actively make sure I get enough of it!

OP does mention that he has a lot of diet restrictions due to stomach problems.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I used to do work with similar constraints. My suggestions - better to eat than not, eat smaller portions at the restaurants, bring snacks with you that don't require refrigeration, bring meal items with you to prepare in hotel room, do some grocery shopping in the area (if that's an option).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    jc1695 wrote: »

Some people can go long periods of time without eating. In fact some people do One Meal A Day (OMAD). I'm not one one them - I get lightheaded and feel awful if a meal is delayed by much more than an hour.

I would be able to make something work from McDonald's.

Another thing to consider is MREs. I believe they now have options that aren't huge amounts of calories.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=MRE&ref=nb_sb_noss_2