What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Also, Chinese takeout is grossly overpriced.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited January 2020
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    ejbronte wrote: »
    alexmose wrote: »
    Carbs on pizza is an abomination. Brownies that are ALMOST baked are the best. Jk I’d eat raw dough/batter whenever.

Wait... so.. like the whole pizza? I mean, carbs is kind of the thing that makes it pizza. Or do you mean things like mac n cheese pizza?

Maybe they mean as a topping? In which case, I'm in agreement: I have a similar view about two starches at the same meal.

I think it is mellow mushroom that has a pizza with potatoes on it. It is quite horrible. You can't rule out carbs on a pizza because the tomato sauce has carbs. Pineapple though should not be on a savory pizza either.

Agreed, the tomato sauce and any veggies would be a "carb" topping. I have seen pies that have pasta as a topping - either a baked ziti pie or a buffalo mac & cheese pie, and I'd agree that's ridiculous. I've never seen potato on pizza but that would also be bizarre. So I'd agree that fruit or starchy carbs on a pizza is wrong.

One of the local places here has an "Idaho" pizza that's topped with mashed potatoes (as the "sauce") cheddar, and bacon. I love it.

I mean, I love you, and I'm sorry, but... no. :tongue:

Teehee. I'm trying to decide if it's a midwest thing or if it was just my little work group, lol. We all loved it, got it every week.

Afterthought: Pickle pizzas seem to be a thing around here, lately. I dunno if that's Michigan/Midwest, or just a growing thing. Usually dill pickles, alfredo sauce, dill weed, maybe extra garlic, and optionally chicken.

Defo oddball: Local food-truck pizza guy used to camp out at a brewpub I go to, and I'd buy his pizzas occasionally. One night after dark, I was walking back to my car when he called out "Hey, Ann - wanna try something?". After verifying that it was vegetarian, I said yes, without knowing what it was (remember, it was dark: he was holding out a small slice to me, but I couldn't see it).

Peanut butter and jelly pizza. So, so, transporting good! Melty peanut butter, melty jelly, nice chewy fast-bake handmade brick-oven-fired crust. Not on the menu: He was just playing. :yum:

You anti-peanut-butter folks wouldn't like it, nor pizza purists. More for me!

I haven't heard of pickle pizzas, although I might have just skipped over them because I'm not a pickle person. I would die for a peanut butter and jelly pizza though.

Pickle pizzas are SOOOO good! Pickles are one of my favorite foods so on a pizza they are amazing. They give it that tangy flavor similar to banana peppers.

rjq239tdutez.png
    fzwncxvufq2s.png
    jasad6m0avxf.png
  • pancakerunner
    NovusDies wrote: »
    ejbronte wrote: »
    alexmose wrote: »
    Carbs on pizza is an abomination. Brownies that are ALMOST baked are the best. Jk I’d eat raw dough/batter whenever.

Wait... so.. like the whole pizza? I mean, carbs is kind of the thing that makes it pizza. Or do you mean things like mac n cheese pizza?

Maybe they mean as a topping? In which case, I'm in agreement: I have a similar view about two starches at the same meal.

I think it is mellow mushroom that has a pizza with potatoes on it. It is quite horrible. You can't rule out carbs on a pizza because the tomato sauce has carbs. Pineapple though should not be on a savory pizza either.

Agreed, the tomato sauce and any veggies would be a "carb" topping. I have seen pies that have pasta as a topping - either a baked ziti pie or a buffalo mac & cheese pie, and I'd agree that's ridiculous. I've never seen potato on pizza but that would also be bizarre. So I'd agree that fruit or starchy carbs on a pizza is wrong.

One of the local places here has an "Idaho" pizza that's topped with mashed potatoes (as the "sauce") cheddar, and bacon. I love it.

I mean, I love you, and I'm sorry, but... no. :tongue:

Teehee. I'm trying to decide if it's a midwest thing or if it was just my little work group, lol. We all loved it, got it every week.

Afterthought: Pickle pizzas seem to be a thing around here, lately. I dunno if that's Michigan/Midwest, or just a growing thing. Usually dill pickles, alfredo sauce, dill weed, maybe extra garlic, and optionally chicken.

Defo oddball: Local food-truck pizza guy used to camp out at a brewpub I go to, and I'd buy his pizzas occasionally. One night after dark, I was walking back to my car when he called out "Hey, Ann - wanna try something?". After verifying that it was vegetarian, I said yes, without knowing what it was (remember, it was dark: he was holding out a small slice to me, but I couldn't see it).

Peanut butter and jelly pizza. So, so, transporting good! Melty peanut butter, melty jelly, nice chewy fast-bake handmade brick-oven-fired crust. Not on the menu: He was just playing. :yum:

You anti-peanut-butter folks wouldn't like it, nor pizza purists. More for me!

I haven't heard of pickle pizzas, although I might have just skipped over them because I'm not a pickle person. I would die for a peanut butter and jelly pizza though.

Pickle pizzas are SOOOO good! Pickles are one of my favorite foods so on a pizza they are amazing. They give it that tangy flavor similar to banana peppers.

rjq239tdutez.png
    fzwncxvufq2s.png
    jasad6m0avxf.png

Also, pickles on peanut butter sandwiches >>>
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member

Christ, so is Subway! I stopped off there last night for a kids size roast beef sandwich and the sandwich itself is almost $5. For a Barbie sized sandwich!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,528 Member
    I haven't had jelly on pizza but have had peanut butter pizza at John's Incredible Pizza and I went back for seconds! I was really surprised that it tasted good and it's not the best pizza.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

Christ, so is Subway! I stopped off there last night for a kids size roast beef sandwich and the sandwich itself is almost $5. For a Barbie sized sandwich!

AGREED! Ever since the 5 footlong was gone, Subway sandwiches are are way overpriced considering it is a fast food place.
  • pancakerunner
    glassyo wrote: »

AGREED! Ever since the 5 footlong was gone, Subway sandwiches are are way overpriced considering it is a fast food place.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ev7d8j/now-that-the-dollar5-footlong-is-dead-can-we-admit-that-subway-sucks
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    My unpopular opinion - most cereal is gross! Especially anything in nuclear ☢️ color options like lucky charms.....Lol 🤢
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member

@RelCanonical
    Hmm - I think any base for mashed potatoes must be worth a try! (And I come from the hub of NYC pizza land..) 😉
  • pancakerunner
    My unpopular opinion - most cereal is gross! Especially anything in nuclear ☢️ color options like lucky charms.....Lol 🤢

I agree. Hard to recall the last time I had or even truly craved cereal... of the cereals that are out there my favorites are shredded wheat, grape nuts, Kix and Crispx. Sweet cereals are no bueno
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    So this isn't about food, but food related I guess...

I find Trader Joe's highly overrated.

I agree with you re: Trader Joe's. I feel like a lot of their food selection is similar to Big Lots or Dollar Tree, just with "fancy" options and nicer packaging. No thanks. I do shop there on occasion for a handful of items but I don't see the major appeal.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2020

I like steel cut oats (warm), but hate cold cereal and always have. When I was little I would have to eat them if staying at someone else's house often enough but otherwise never did. It's not just the sugary ones, I also don't like the non sugary ones. With milk it just seems like a soggy unappealing mess and when people say they like it dry I just can't comprehend why.

I always feel like I'm out there alone on this one!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Another vote for the overall meh-ness to horribleness of cold cereal. It's a little more tolerable if it's not the multi-colored or super-sweet ones, and it's dry. The only one even remotely edible in milk is that Grape Nuts BB-sized hard granule stuff, because it doesn't instantly turn into cold, limp mush.

I buy rice krispies once in a while to make this weird savory cheese "cookie" recipe I have, but I don't actually eat it as a cereal, ever. (I did flirt with liking Cocoa Crispies as a child, but other than that, didn't like cold cereal then, either. Well, I'd eat the freeze-dried strawberries out of whatever cereal it was that had those, in the 1960s.)

I do love my daily thick rolled oats, though: Hot, with fixins.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Another vote for the overall meh-ness to horribleness of cold cereal. It's a little more tolerable if it's not the multi-colored or super-sweet ones, and it's dry. The only one even remotely edible in milk is that Grape Nuts BB-sized hard granule stuff, because it doesn't instantly turn into cold, limp mush.

I buy rice krispies once in a while to make this weird savory cheese "cookie" recipe I have, but I don't actually eat it as a cereal, ever. (I did flirt with liking Cocoa Crispies as a child, but other than that, didn't like cold cereal then, either. Well, I'd eat the freeze-dried strawberries out of whatever cereal it was that had those, in the 1960s.)

I bought some Rice Krispies recently for exactly this purpose, having seen the recipe on Pinterest and it was so different from anything I’d come across it piqued my curiosity.

But I’ve never made them because when I looked closer the recipe called for a full 8oz of cheddar. That scared me off! Are they good enough to justify the cheese quantity?

In the meantime I’ve been chipping away at the box of cereal, with Califia Farms Mocha Almond Milk because I’ve always found cold cereal with actual milk unpalatable.

Tell me it’s worth making the cheesy crispies so I can stop torturing myself so as not to waste them! 😂
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member

I bought some Rice Krispies recently for exactly this purpose, having seen the recipe on Pinterest and it was so different from anything I’d come across it piqued my curiosity.

But I’ve never made them because when I looked closer the recipe called for a full 8oz of cheddar. That scared me off! Are they good enough to justify the cheese quantity?

In the meantime I’ve been chipping away at the box of cereal, with Califia Farms Mocha Almond Milk because I’ve always found cold cereal with actual milk unpalatable.

Tell me it’s worth making the cheesy crispies so I can stop torturing myself so as not to waste them! 😂

I don't know whether your recipe is the same as mine, or not. Mine is high calorie, lots of cheese, maybe butter, too (been a while since last batch). It's lighter (not as dense), but overall it reminds me of how a cheese topping on something baked (casserole, say) can get a bit bubbly at the edge of a dish, then get crispy/crunchy but without burning. Very cheesy, very crisp, very rich.

Using my recipe, I've made them more than once. If I make them, it's for an event with multiple people there, and/or where I can leave any leftovers there. Does that tell you something?

If your recipe is like mine, make them small, and put paper on the cooling rack to absorb any superficial extra fat. They're rich.
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    edited January 2020
    Cold cereal; milk; most food chains; 'Chinese' food; cookies; mayonnaise; the fad of the hour (you hear me, kale?); canned soup (it's so easy to make homemade, and much more delicious); seafood (don't like the taste or smell); huge chunks of meat not sliced or incorporated into something; sauces that are too sweet like BBQ (although the yellow Southern one is great); sweet drinks; the USA way of serving vegetables to kids--just plain on the plate: canned fruit or vegetables with rare exceptions. Food that doesn't smell good; onion; garlic; most of the middle aisles.
  • Dailly13
    Dailly13 Posts: 190 Member
    Yuk to olives