Any actual food that speeds up metabolism?

Hi,

Any actual food or food groups that speeds up metabolism? Like science backed not anecdotal evidence. For example, I've heard "spices" help and caffeine does too. Anything else?

Replies

• vm007
    vm007 Posts: 241 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    No.

Some spices have a minor and short-lived effect, as does caffeine. It's seriously majoring in the minors stuff to try to gain any advantage via stuff like that. Like, you could go for a 10 minute walk and burn more calories than all of them combined.

I assume the short lived effect is also of negligible percent and shouldn't be worried about eh
  • rodnichols69
    rodnichols69 Posts: 83 Member
    Coffee or green tea? Spicy foods increase the metabolism about 8% for a few hours or about 40 calories. However, it also suppresses the appetite. A study concluded that a group of average sized men eating hot sauce with meals ate 200 fewer calories per day.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,791 Member
    Exercise.
  • nitalieben
    nitalieben Posts: 680 Member
    Nope.

Build muscle, though.
  • BeGrandLike
    BeGrandLike Posts: 184 Member
    The food at that cafe that's a ten minute walk down the road should do it.

But only if you don't drive there.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Yes but not enough to have any significant effect on weight.

Not an extremely Scientific link as there's not much mention about how the study was controllde, but better than "eat this one food to lose belly fat"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4bPKxRQBHzNgJmj6W832b4C/can-i-speed-up-my-metabolism
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Caffeine will make you a bit fidgety and result in burning a few more calories, that's about it.
    The thing to consider is what metabolism is, including that it regulates everything that happens in your body. Anything that could truly cause it to use more calories is essentially guaranteed to uncouple some rather important process and thus have health risks. People who have actually truly high metabolisms tend to also have a host of other health concerns. I believe just about any of the drugs that have a noticeable impact on metabolism are banned, or at least not prescripable on label for weight loss.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    No...
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    vm007 wrote: »
    Hi,

Any actual food or food groups that speeds up metabolism? Like science backed not anecdotal evidence. For example, I've heard "spices" help and caffeine does too. Anything else?

You have gotten the answers you need on your actual question. I wonder though why you think your metabolism needs improving?
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Great article. Thank you for sharing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

There is some very, very limited, very, very preliminary research suggesting that (using a loaded term =>) less processed foods may also have a slightly higher TEF than highly processed ones, the "processed-ness" of the latter speculated to be making the nutrients (which may be less numerous, or not) more bioavailable with less intra-body processing.

Speculative, at this point, and a very small effect, even if true.
  • vm007
    vm007 Posts: 241 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    vm007 wrote: »
    Hi,

You have gotten the answers you need on your actual question. I wonder though why you think your metabolism needs improving?

Lol I've been travelling a lot and I thought if I could include "those" items in my diet it'll aid in keeping my weight under control.

I guess not lol
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    No
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Donuts?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    Kotuliak wrote: »
    Donuts?

If only....