Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Thanks @GaryRuns :)
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    edited January 2020
    Well this is probably the first week in several months where I did not gain a 0.5lb 😂...

I ate to the point where I just couldn't comfortably eat any more in a day, so far I'm just going to refuse to do that to myself...

I did make small but gains nonetheless with the tape measure and my waist and caliper pinches are pretty much the same...

Also was still able to add reps or weight to all my key lifts... Although I'm admittingly pretty sore

The mirror has been rather kind to me as of late as well, I feel like I look leaner and better than ever honestly...

Which for myself is always the biggest struggle, I'm finally starting to feel like I look pretty good and not just pretty good for how far I've come...
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Down to 217.3lb this morning
    Lots of people starting to comment
    My weight loss, usually when I get down
    To 212 people start start asking if I’m seriously ill or terminal, the joys of diet face 😂
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited January 2020
    watts6151 wrote: »
    To 212 people start start asking if I’m seriously ill or terminal, the joys of diet face 😂

Are you still planning on cutting sub 200? Last time I really cut I got to about 190 before people starting suggesting that I "eat a sammich" and other nonsense. I even had one lady call me "skinny"... at 190... wonder what she would have thought of me when I was 130. ;)
  • watts6151
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    watts6151 wrote: »

Are you still planning on cutting sub 200? Last time I really cut I got to about 190 before people starting suggesting that I "eat a sammich" and other nonsense. I even had one lady rig call me "skinny"... at 190... wonder what she would have thought of me when I was 130. ;)

The ‘plan’ is to be on stage at 200-202lb
    Weather or not it’ll happen is anyone’s guess at this point, totally flat at 217lb

Cannot image getting called skinny at 190
    I’d probably have a few interesting words to say If some lady did 😂

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    My coach reneged! He says we’re going up to 210 lbs before I get to cut, instead of 200. *kitten*

I’m consoling myself with the fact that it is because I’m putting on muscle pretty well. Approximately 4.5 lbs since October. Pretty good for a nearly 45-year-old female!

Good luck. How tall are you?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    My coach reneged! He says we’re going up to 210 lbs before I get to cut, instead of 200. *kitten*

I’m consoling myself with the fact that it is because I’m putting on muscle pretty well. Approximately 4.5 lbs since October. Pretty good for a nearly 45-year-old female!

That’s excellent! Heck, it probably took me a year to put on that much.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

You are amazing! Woohoo for the bulk :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

Good luck. How tall are you?

5'9"
  • imfornd70
    imfornd70 Posts: 552 Member
    I've been bulking for almost 2 months now - carrying an extra 7 pounds +/- , just starting my cutting cycle - I dont really like to eat too much while bulking - true I gain less LBM but after cutting and losing some of the LBM I feel i retain the equal amount of muscle as a person who bulks traditionally
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    imfornd70 wrote: »
    I've been bulking for almost 2 months now - carrying an extra 7 pounds +/- , just starting my cutting cycle - I dont really like to eat too much while bulking - true I gain less LBM but after cutting and losing some of the LBM I feel i retain the equal amount of muscle as a person who bulks traditionally

IIRC there's some solid recent research suggesting that lean bulking is better/more efficient than the traditional "eat big to get big" monster bulks. However, I know @jseams1234 does well going full panda so YMMV.
  • imfornd70
    steveko89 wrote: »

IIRC there's some solid recent research suggesting that lean bulking is better/more efficient than the traditional "eat big to get big" monster bulks. However, I know @jseams1234 does well going full panda so YMMV.

and you get to look leaner while bulking
  • imfornd70

I'm trying to let this be the last time I ever "bulk"

I figured if I do it right I can probably gain about as much I'd like to without gaining any fat... I think it's possible despite contemporary thinking...

I mean what's the point if I'm going to gain this weight just to cut back down to where I am already... At least that's where my head is today lol

So far up about 8-9lbs, eating well and I feel look leaner than ever really 🤷🏽‍♂️

the key to good bulking is quality nutrition - you don't need to east everything in sight - if you are only looking for that beach body then focus primarily of HV(High Volume lifting) sets of 8-12 - you get roughly the same as lifting heavy with he benefits of lower injury and higher calorie burn
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member

;) Yup. Full Panda. However, I do think I may have nearly exhausted the potential for any serious gains and depending on the results this round I may be moving over to a much more conservative bulking method. I can drop weight very quickly but no matter the method I use it seems that my elbows and shoulders get real crunchy and painful. I worry a bit about permanent damage I may be causing. I'm already that guy that spends the first 10 minutes at the gym wrapping everything. lol
  • watts6151
    jseams1234 wrote: »

;) Yup. Full Panda. However, I do think I may have nearly exhausted the potential for any serious gains and depending on the results this round I may be moving over to a much more conservative bulking method. I can drop weight very quickly but no matter the method I use it seems that my elbows and shoulders get real crunchy and painful. I worry a bit about permanent damage I may be causing. I'm already that guy that spends the first 10 minutes at the gym wrapping everything. lol

Good luck with your potentially last big bulk

Did my last major bulk about 5 years ago
    Got up to 245lb from 215lb , my bp and blood work were a disaster at that weight, after a long cut I’d managed to gain a ball park 4lb of muscle. After that I’ve stuck to lean bulks where I don’t gain more than 10lb total body weight over 5-6months
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member

I'm trying to let this be the last time I ever "bulk"

I figured if I do it right I can probably gain about as much I'd like to without gaining any fat... I think it's possible despite contemporary thinking...

I mean what's the point if I'm going to gain this weight just to cut back down to where I am already... At least that's where my head is today lol

So far up about 8-9lbs, eating well and I feel look leaner than ever really 🤷🏽‍♂️

the key to good bulking is quality nutrition - you don't need to east everything in sight - if you are only looking for that beach body then focus primarily of HV(High Volume lifting) sets of 8-12 - you get roughly the same as lifting heavy with he benefits of lower injury and higher calorie burn

I try, although admittingly a fair percentage of my extra calories have come from sugar...

I'm just eating a bit extra everyday and trying to increase the weight on the bar... I usually gain about 2-3lbs every weekend and it slowly comes off throughout the week... So my strategy has basically been, try to keep that some of that weekend weight and usually by the end of the work week, I'm about 0.5lb heavier...

Although last week I didn't gain any weight and I ran over Saturday... So now my legs feel like they are starving 😂