The topic I didn't want to discuss - loose skin

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Cheryldumais, if it isn’t too personal of a question, may I ask the age you had the skin removed?....I want to do this when I reach my goal weight but I am wondering if age is a factor....thanks!

So sorry I haven't been in here for a bit. You can ask me anything you want. I had the skin removed at 61. If you have any questions at all feel free to message me. I want to help if I can.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    T/ Y....I am 68 and still have a lot to go....I heal very quickly and surgeries do not bother me a lot...I have had more than a few!....I just don’t want to look like a saggy old woman lol....my arms are actually more visible than other various areas but I am hoping I can hide a lot of skin!....I have gained and lost so many times, I am pretty elastic lol
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    @NovusDies I am glad to see that you had your surgery and that recovery went well!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    @yxba

I am a pretty private person so I do not (yet) talk about this subject in the main forum but I figured you would want to read it.
  • I really appreciate this discussion. My weight is pretty evenly distributed, except up front, where I look six months pregnant, due to all the extra skin left over from carrying three large babies. I've been wondering about seeing a plastic surgeon before I was quite done losing weight to get an idea of their precise criteria for me, and I think I'll do that this summer. I know I want to have a waist again, and I don't see how that happens without surgery. But that's a ways in the future for me.
  • NovusDies
    I really appreciate this discussion. My weight is pretty evenly distributed, except up front, where I look six months pregnant, due to all the extra skin left over from carrying three large babies. I've been wondering about seeing a plastic surgeon before I was quite done losing weight to get an idea of their precise criteria for me, and I think I'll do that this summer. I know I want to have a waist again, and I don't see how that happens without surgery. But that's a ways in the future for me.

I was not that keen on getting my initial consultation. My PCP was quite insistent and it was far too early to get anything done. I am glad I went because at the time I had lost close to 100 pounds and it got the PS invested in me and my journey. When I returned having lost 200 pounds he was even more excited and that is when I was shocked to learn that I could do it early. I was not sure that was wise but I got second opinions and the consensus was all in favor of it because it restricted my movement and as it turns out it was affecting my blood pressure. It also caused me to have an odd center of gravity and dizzy spells.

I do think it is wise to get a consultation but my PCP called all over my area and no one wanted to see me until I was much closer to a goal weight regardless of the fact it was an impediment to my movement and health. The one doctor who agreed to see me was who ultimately did the surgery.
  • yxba
    yxba Posts: 33 Member
    Has anybody looked into or tried getting these procedures done in a different country like Brazil for example?
  • @NovusDies: I was going to wait til I was down around 250. At that point I'll also be able to tell if I am going to need medial thigh or upper arm work too, or if that skin's rebounding well. I don't think I'll need a full lower body lift; if I lean forward, from the back, I have a waist.
  • NovusDies
    yxba wrote: »
    Has anybody looked into or tried getting these procedures done in a different country like Brazil for example?

I didn't consider it. Some of the reports for recovery are quite severe. I didn't have it too bad but I think I am still glad I was close to home. Do you think there is an advantage?
  • NovusDies
    @NovusDies: I was going to wait til I was down around 250. At that point I'll also be able to tell if I am going to need medial thigh or upper arm work too, or if that skin's rebounding well. I don't think I'll need a full lower body lift; if I lean forward, from the back, I have a waist.

I have to face another surgery but I will be waiting until I am sure that my body is done doing all the rebounding it will do and I have reached a good place in my toning and some muscle building efforts. I definitely have loose skin in my thighs and arms but I would like to avoid having them cut if possible. Since I will be going through a surgery regardless though I will probably have them done if they still need it.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    My plastic surgeon won't even do a consult until I am at a normal BMI. I just wanted to talk pricing and options but nope! It's kinda weird in my opinion as the skin weighs so much that I would be much closer to goal if it were gone. I would like the skin on tummy removed, my thighs done, and of course the girls put back where they should be! I think it has to do with willpower and dedication to keeping it off after the surgery. I dunno. 39lbs to go before I can schedule a meeting!! And then 2 years of savings since its a cash procedure lol
  • NovusDies
    gewel321 wrote: »
    My plastic surgeon won't even do a consult until I am at a normal BMI. I just wanted to talk pricing and options but nope! It's kinda weird in my opinion as the skin weighs so much that I would be much closer to goal if it were gone. I would like the skin on tummy removed, my thighs done, and of course the girls put back where they should be! I think it has to do with willpower and dedication to keeping it off after the surgery. I dunno. 39lbs to go before I can schedule a meeting!! And then 2 years of savings since its a cash procedure lol

My PS mentioned that it was a highly unfair to view it only in terms of normal BMI. He apologized many time for making me speed up my weight loss to get myself to a "safer" BMI for the anesthesiologist to do the procedure by the only date last year I could have it done. A delay meant waiting until January. He complained that because he felt he would be removing about 30 pounds I should already technically have been considered safe. I was about 285 and I had to get to 260 to be at a 39.9 BMI. I had 3 months to get it done or miss my window. My day of surgery weight was 255. Everyone here knew I was aiming to go below it because I was worried I would have a weight fluctuation and miss it for a very stupid reason. 5 pounds gave me some insurance.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    I've thought about it, though this will be something that would be a long time coming because I need to get the remaining 100 or so lbs off and prove to myself I can keep it off.

However, just this week, I found a spot on my belly that needed attention that i didn't even realize was irritated because its under a belly fold that is nothing but empty skin, and I couldn't see it unless I moved the skin out of the way. I had never thought about the possible health problems that all that loose skin could be causing or hiding.

Course, on the flip side, if I ever need to have a skin graft, I'm golden!
  • NovusDies
    I've thought about it, though this will be something that would be a long time coming because I need to get the remaining 100 or so lbs off and prove to myself I can keep it off.

However, just this week, I found a spot on my belly that needed attention that i didn't even realize was irritated because its under a belly fold that is nothing but empty skin, and I couldn't see it unless I moved the skin out of the way. I had never thought about the possible health problems that all that loose skin could be causing or hiding.

Hibiclens is your friend when it comes to loose skin. After I started using it 3 days a week my skin problems stopped occurring quite as frequently.

The decision for me was a no brainer even though I initially fought doing it before I reached some form a of goal. I hope that the circumstances that drove it are a very rare occurrence. You would not believe how much a very small cut could bleed from a skin fold until it is all over your carpet. To bandage it I had to use duct tape because nothing else would stay attached. When I tell people that I had some quite horrible experiences as I lost weight I wasn't talking about being forced to have a single scoop ice cream cone instead of a double.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member

To keep it from happening over and over. What I have found that works for me is Gold Bond Friction Defense. I also use something called a tummy liner, literally a piece of cloth, cotton/flannel mix, that I stick under the apron and change daily.

Hmm I am going to go look for the Hibiclens as have not tried that, but have many others.
  • maureenkhilde
    Something I have just started to look into, from a slightly different angle. And it was brought to my attention by my Diabetes Dr. I intend to look into what is called a Panniculectomy. Which is that apron of skin that hangs low over the gut. What my Dr. explained to me about that loose skin there was kind of gross and interesting at the same time.

I was told that most likely they will not do until BMI is at 29.9 or lower. Me personally my aim is to be closer to normal, and have decided this to be a year 2021 goal.
    So in the Overweight category.

With a Pannicultectomy that is for an area, where there are no muscle tightening that is going to happen.
    In my case, with fact that back in dark ages 1969 I had my appendix removed when they left long vertical scars, had a C-Section another long vertical scar, then had a total hysterectomy. That took 18 months for the scar to close up totally.
    Am Diabetic.
    Have had a history of getting skin infections, under the apron even with using Gold Bond. Before I knew about it. And at times when I was sick, I forgot to check.
    That a good number of Insurance Carriers in the US will pay for a Panniculectomy, if you meet certain criteria. I have checked with mine, and they will based on a checklist of things. Of course after meeting deductible. And there is out of pocket maximum as well.

Now my lovely bat wings under my upper arms, that if I want fixed, will be me paying for.
  • yxba
    NovusDies wrote: »
    yxba wrote: »

I didn't consider it. Some of the reports for recovery are quite severe. I didn't have it too bad but I think I am still glad I was close to home. Do you think there is an advantage?

Well.. From what Ive heard the cost is significantly cheaper and at least for a couple weeks after the procedure the care is better. They take you to a nearby hotel/care facility until you're well enough to travel. Im just think that in my case well there's a lot I want to get done and it ain't going to be cheap.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member

To keep it from happening over and over. What I have found that works for me is Gold Bond Friction Defense. I also use something called a tummy liner, literally a piece of cloth, cotton/flannel mix, that I stick under the apron and change daily.

Hmm I am going to go look for the Hibiclens as have not tried that, but have many others.

I've never heard of Hibiclens and am not sure is available in my area, but I'll have to look. The gold bond stuff, though, is wonderful, especially in the summer!

Apron is an interesting thing to call it :) I've got a horrible muffin top, too, thanks to gaining a lot of weight fast in college and not buying new jeans to compensate.

I don't have any major health issues, which I'm thankful for, but which also means that if I'd ever want to get the skin surgery, I won't be able to have a health reason to justify having the insurance cover it, so it will be out of my pocket, and the earliest that could happen would be 2025 because that's when my student loans finally pay off as well as a couple other debts of mine. And the way I'm losing, it will probable be later than that. I lost 100 lbs in about 10 months, then plateaued for 18 months and regained 25 of it. I've managed to re-lose 20 in 6 months, and am hoping that I can at least get 40 or 50 off this year. I'd really want to wait a couple of years, too, to make sure that I can stabilize and not regain again.

Besides, I'd have to lose another 78 lbs minimum and get down to 196 to squeak under that 29.9 BMI requirement; I doubt I ever get that low. I'll be doing good to get down to 220!
  • yxba

I've never heard of Hibiclens and am not sure is available in my area, but I'll have to look. The gold bond stuff, though, is wonderful, especially in the summer!

Apron is an interesting thing to call it :) I've got a horrible muffin top, too, thanks to gaining a lot of weight fast in college and not buying new jeans to compensate.

I don't have any major health issues, which I'm thankful for, but which also means that if I'd ever want to get the skin surgery, I won't be able to have a health reason to justify having the insurance cover it, so it will be out of my pocket, and the earliest that could happen would be 2025 because that's when my student loans finally pay off as well as a couple other debts of mine. And the way I'm losing, it will probable be later than that. I lost 100 lbs in about 10 months, then plateaued for 18 months and regained 25 of it. I've managed to re-lose 20 in 6 months, and am hoping that I can at least get 40 or 50 off this year. I'd really want to wait a couple of years, too, to make sure that I can stabilize and not regain again.

Besides, I'd have to lose another 78 lbs minimum and get down to 196 to squeak under that 29.9 BMI requirement; I doubt I ever get that low. I'll be doing good to get down to 220!

Once you get to 220 just keep going. You can do it.
  • maureenkhilde

You come across as a very determined person. I am in your corner for you getting to the weight that will satisfy you. And I totally understand how some weight comes back to revisit sometimes more than once. And we are here, because we have decided no more quiting just working on to get it off.