Halo Top. Yay or Nay?

13»

Replies

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Caramel Sea Salt is the best one. I think Breyers fat free (or is it no sugar added? The one with 110 calories per serving which is, I recall 3/4 cup) is a lot better with a marginal difference in calories unless you are eating 4 servings or so.
  • acooperm
    acooperm Posts: 4 Member
    Nay! It doesn't taste like real ice cream. I keep Breyers Extra Creamy Chocolate ice cream in my freezer for when I want a low calorie dessert. It's only 110 calories for half a cup which is just enough for a small cone, or sometimes I mix a large spoonful of the ice cream with half a frozen banana. Delicious!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    acooperm wrote: »
    Nay! It doesn't taste like real ice cream. I keep Breyers Extra Creamy Chocolate ice cream in my freezer for when I want a low calorie dessert. It's only 110 calories for half a cup which is just enough for a small cone, or sometimes I mix a large spoonful of the ice cream with half a frozen banana. Delicious!

I am willing to guess that its because it not??? Also, nowhere does it claim to be.

The packaging says "ice cream"....their website calls it "ice cream". So, yeah, they kind of do claim that it is ice cream.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    I use HT when I need a hit of protein at the end of the day.

Flavors I like:
    Peanut Butter and Jelly
    Gingerbread House
    Caramel Macchiato
    Sea Salt Caramel
    Strawberry
    Pumpkin Pie

Flavors I had to throw in the trash because they were so bad:
    Pancakes and Waffles
    Blueberry Crumble
    Rainbow Swirl (aka Play-doh)

I must be the ONLY ONE that likes the Rainbow swirl, because my store dropped that one. haha
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    I like the dairy free flavors a lot better. Especially the DF cookie dough.

Ben & Jerry’s has a new “low cal” ice cream, moophoria, and the cherry Garcia is bomb 🤤
  • g12586s
    g12586s Posts: 7 Member
    I love the chocolate chip cookie dough and eat 1/4 or 1/2 a container a few nights a week second best is the caramel macchiato third vanilla beat I really think people just consider it diet food and have some sort of view that it’s not healthy it fits in my macros great and I don’t crave anything less healthy or sugary
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    acooperm wrote: »

I am willing to guess that its because it not??? Also, nowhere does it claim to be.

The packaging says "ice cream"....their website calls it "ice cream". So, yeah, they kind of do claim that it is ice cream.

Nope. Not around here. Its its a frozen dessert. To be called ice cream, it had to have a certain amount of cream.

Ah, regional differences then. I’ve always seen packaging like this that says “light ice cream”.
    cejb5vhov6hn.jpeg
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    It's probably a Canadian labeling law thing, like the silly rule that you must call almond milk "almond beverage."
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    I actually don't know how halo top gets away with calling themselves ice cream in the US even, since it doesn't appear like they would pass the 10% threshold for milk fat in the CFR. It doesn't bother me either way, since I don't eat dairy, but it's odd, and I'm sure there's something I don't quite understand about the CFR standard.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=135.110
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited January 2020
    It's okay, but I'd rather just make room to have Ben & Jerry's. I find it to be more satisfying.

I did an experiment on myself, where I weighed the container, allowed myself to eat however much I wanted from the pint, and then weighed it again to see how much I ate. For both Halo Top and Ben & Jerry's, I ate either a little less than a serving, an exact serving, or 10-20 grams more than the serving size depending on the day and how hungry I was when I started to eat the ice cream. However, I was more satiated after the Ben & Jerry's. I still wanted something more after the Halo Top, which meant that even though the calories in Halo Top were less than Ben & Jerry's, I ended up eating around the same amount of calories because I would eat something else after the Halo Top to be satisfied and comfortably full. I did not do this with Ben & Jerry's.

This showed me, that I can naturally (or intuitively) control the portion of ice cream I eat. After awhile I find that my body just doesn't want anymore. Because of this, I stopped buying low calorie ice cream and I just get the regular version.

But YMMV. If you find that you are a volume eater, then go for the low calorie ice cream. I am not a volume eater, I'd rather eat a small amount and be comfortable full over eating a large amount and still be hungry.

That said, chocolate of Chilly Cow & Halo Top are good.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    fuzzylop_ wrote: »
    I actually don't know how halo top gets away with calling themselves ice cream in the US even, since it doesn't appear like they would pass the 10% threshold for milk fat in the CFR. It doesn't bother me either way, since I don't eat dairy, but it's odd, and I'm sure there's something I don't quite understand about the CFR standard.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=135.110

It gets to call itself "light ice cream" -- it's based on a variety of regs that have to be looked at together. See, e.g., https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/7/58.605
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    Halo Top is meh

Brewers Delight is nice. The vanilla tastes like ice cream

Ben and Jerry's Moophoria Cherry Garcia is lush - about 5-600 cals per tub I think
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    I’ve only had the red velvet halo top and I thought it was pretty good. It saves time not whipping out the ice cream maker!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    I read rave reviews of HT on here. When it finally came to Canada, I took a closer look and found out it's about the same calories per serving as ice cream, but more expensive.

And yeah, I did originally think the calories were for the WHOLE pint, not per serving.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Interesting.

Here in the US, a whole pint (at 240-360 calories for the pint, most flavors I've seen below 300) is in the ballpark of a 1/2C serving of most premium full-fat real-sugar ice cream (250 and up, usually).

Still not worth eating the HT, IMO, though. ;)

Yes, as a Ben & Jerry's fan, this calorie comparison was my experience as well.

@zyxst what brand were you using as a comparison?

Whatever brands were there. Scotsburn, Haagen-Daz, Chapman's, Breyer's, Ben & Jerry's.
  • Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    I don't like any of the flavors of Halo Top or similar brands. I would rather have a Haagen Dazs mini (3 ounces, ~200 calories) of real ice cream every once in a while when I really want it, which is rarely.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    They're great. Not as great as real ice cream, but a great swap. I prefer most of the Enlightened flavors to Halo Top, but they are not as easy to find.
  • Nah. As someone that used to struggle with BED, I feel like it's just setting yourself up for failure if one day you chose to start switching over to regular pints. I think it's better to just use portion control and budget in reg ice cream or find other substitutions for your sweet tooth. Plus reg ice cream is soooo much better (and cheaper) than those glorified frozen protein shakes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Nah. As someone that used to struggle with BED, I feel like it's just setting yourself up for failure if one day you chose to start switching over to regular pints. I think it's better to just use portion control and budget in reg ice cream or find other substitutions for your sweet tooth. Plus reg ice cream is soooo much better (and cheaper) than those glorified frozen protein shakes.

As someone who likes to practice volume eating sometimes, I'm fully capable of recognizing when I'm eating a food that isn't going to fit into my goals if I eat a large portion.

So I'll eat a giant bowl of roasted broccoli for dinner and that doesn't set me up for failure if I'm eating pasta the next night. And I can have a whole pint of Halo Top on Tuesday, but also measure out a serving of regular ice cream on Friday.

I'm not saying that this can't be a problem for a specific individual, but it's not a universal thing.

Sometimes I want to exercise portion control on something high calorie. And sometimes I want to eat a big serving of something. The two strategies can perfectly co-exist (at least for me).
  • LeannJeffers
    LeannJeffers Posts: 486 Member
    I've tried a few of them. My favorite one is the Red Velvet and the Chocolate Banana. The other ones I can total leave at the store.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Halo Top ?

Nah....

If you're going to be a Bear, be a Grizzly.

national-banana-split-day-640x514.jpg