Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Stop Using Your Devices in the Sauna

Replies

• Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited January 2020
    So I'm really curious as to whether this is just a US thing, or whether people have had it happen in other places, too?

I'm not American, and I've never, ever seen anyone on their phone in the sauna. I've rarely even been present for people chatting there- maybe a hello and some short pleasantries, but then people tend to just go back to being quiet.

Like, it hadn't even occurred to me that anyone would ever even think to bring their phone in there! But I get it, cultures differ and so does what's normal in different places.

Have any other non-Americans noticed this, though?

I’m American - I’ve never seen this in the states! Might just be my gym where we are anti social lol (Well, it is NY - we just want to be left alone.) 😉
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    I use the sauna after working out and almost everyone brings their phone in with them. It doesn’t bother me at all. But I would imagine it bothers the original poster like it bothers me when I go for a massage and I can hear people talking outside or music with lyrics.😠 It’s supposed to be relaxing!
    As a side note, I always change out of my workout clothes and into swimwear and I always sit or lie down on my towel because I don’t want other people’s sweat on me.😝

Someone else's sweat would be one of my lesser worries.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    Devices don’t bother me. What bothers me are the jerks who use the dry sauna to dry their swim trunks or to dry off after swimming. The purpose of a dry sauna is dry heat. Evaporating the water from your smelly swim trucks into the air defeats the purpose.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    allother94 wrote: »
    Devices don’t bother me. What bothers me are the jerks who use the dry sauna to dry their swim trunks or to dry off after swimming. The purpose of a dry sauna is dry heat. Evaporating the water from your smelly swim trucks into the air defeats the purpose.

I doubt the moisture from swim trunks is any worse than the moisture from sweat. Maybe thinking about it that way will help you feel less annoyed. People can use the sauna for whatever they want as long as they're being respectful and mindful of others.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Nope, I usually listen to sports talk radio on a little walkman (yes, they still have those).

If that bugs you, sorry.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    So I'm really curious as to whether this is just a US thing, or whether people have had it happen in other places, too?

I'm not American, and I've never, ever seen anyone on their phone in the sauna. I've rarely even been present for people chatting there- maybe a hello and some short pleasantries, but then people tend to just go back to being quiet.

Like, it hadn't even occurred to me that anyone would ever even think to bring their phone in there! But I get it, cultures differ and so does what's normal in different places.

I thought it was weird when I started up at my gym and saw people with their devices in the sauna. I later realized that my gym has an app that when you download it, you get your gym pass bar code on your phone which gives you access to the areas of the gym for which you are authorized at your membership level. The sauna area is restricted to "premium" memberships and up, so people are using the app on their phones to access that area.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2020

I’m American - I’ve never seen this in the states! Might just be my gym where we are anti social lol (Well, it is NY - we just want to be left alone.) 😉

I haven't either, but the only saunas I've been to in the US were at my current and prior gyms. The current one is single sex, small, and accessed through the women's locker room. There's usually no one else in the sauna during the times I use the gym (which is off prime time hours), or maybe one other person, and the door has a list of rules, including no cell phones.

My prior gym was similar, and also it was before smart phones were common that I was a member (which makes me feel old!).
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    The sauna is just a sauna. It works just as well as intended if someone is on their device as if they are not on their device.

It works as well as intended if your only intention is to sweat. You are correct there! But staring at your device won't give you the same lovely meditative qualities and it's possible your body won't enter a deep parasympathetic state as if you focused solely on your breathing (at least, not as quickly).

But perhaps I'm silly to assume people want more from saunas than just to sweat. I may be the odd ball out with that one. Personally, it's one of the few moments I have where I could have the opportunity to sit in absolute silence with no disruptions or responsibilities, and it's frustrating to have that stolen from me.

I haven't use a sauna in years but seems like when I did if anyone was in it, there was conversation. So even without electronics there wasn't silence.

The sauna at my gym is where the majority of the socializing goes on. People are done with their workouts and don't mind a little chit chat. People are usually fully clothed unless coming from or going swimming. I admit I don't see how the people in full sweats and jackets can stand it. I usually have to at least shed my shirt. Lots of people also workout in there or stretch. I'll use it to do hot yoga sometimes.

This^^

This is when we do socialize because we are done working out. I myself do not talk while I am working out and don't mind some chit chat in the sauna.

I was in the sauna this morning and a gym goer I know was fully dressed with a jacket on before her workout because she said it helps to loosen up b4 here workout. I thought to myself I would would pass out. LOL

To each their own.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Honestly I use my phone in the sauna, headphones in (not loud) and normally watch 15 or so minutes of a TV show while I am in there, it is one of the most relaxing parts of my day, so I would say that as long as im being mindful of others I have no reason not to use my device in the sauna.
    I also do go in fully clothed, maybe thats weird I dont know.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    The sauna is just a sauna. It works just as well as intended if someone is on their device as if they are not on their device.

It works as well as intended if your only intention is to sweat. You are correct there! But staring at your device won't give you the same lovely meditative qualities and it's possible your body won't enter a deep parasympathetic state as if you focused solely on your breathing (at least, not as quickly).

But perhaps I'm silly to assume people want more from saunas than just to sweat. I may be the odd ball out with that one. Personally, it's one of the few moments I have where I could have the opportunity to sit in absolute silence with no disruptions or responsibilities, and it's frustrating to have that stolen from me.

I haven't use a sauna in years but seems like when I did if anyone was in it, there was conversation. So even without electronics there wasn't silence.

The sauna at my gym is where the majority of the socializing goes on. People are done with their workouts and don't mind a little chit chat. People are usually fully clothed unless coming from or going swimming. I admit I don't see how the people in full sweats and jackets can stand it. I usually have to at least shed my shirt. Lots of people also workout in there or stretch. I'll use it to do hot yoga sometimes.

This^^

This is when we do socialize because we are done working out. I myself do not talk while I am working out and don't mind some chit chat in the sauna.

I was in the sauna this morning and a gym goer I know was fully dressed with a jacket on before her workout because she said it helps to loosen up b4 here workout. I thought to myself I would would pass out. LOL

To each their own.

My gym has rules posted going into the sauna...no gym attire, no sneakers, no exercise, no wet clothing. There's never a gym attendant back there to enforce the rules, so people just do whatever they want which is annoying.

Also, being fully clothed in an infrared sauna is kind of silly since the sauna uses infrared light that penetrates deeper into the skin to relieve pain and tension. You still benefit from sweating, but not from the deep penetration of infrared light.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited January 2020
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

This^^

To each their own.

My gym has rules posted going into the sauna...no gym attire, no sneakers, no exercise, no wet clothing. There's never a gym attendant back there to enforce the rules, so people just do whatever they want which is annoying.

Also, being fully clothed in an infrared sauna is kind of silly since the sauna uses infrared light that penetrates deeper into the skin to relieve pain and tension. You still benefit from sweating, but not from the deep penetration of infrared light.

My gym rules for sauna

Spend no more than 10 mins at a time
    No pregnant women
    No newspaper/magazines allowed
    Absolutely NO shaving (thought that was interesting when I first saw that. They have that many people shaving enough to post a rule for it. Yikes)

Of course every gym is different.
  • allother94
    edited January 2020

I doubt the moisture from swim trunks is any worse than the moisture from sweat. Maybe thinking about it that way will help you feel less annoyed.

Wow! That worked. I’m cured.

People can use the sauna for whatever they want as long as they're being respectful and mindful of others.

Agreed. I personally use it to sell my homemade body spray and breed dogs.

• allother94
    edited January 2020

This^^

To each their own.

My gym does the same thing. No wet clothes is a big one for me. It makes the air too humid. I’ve never sweated enough to get my clothes as wet as when I exit the pool. If someone can sweat that much, they are a better man than I.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member

This^^

To each their own.

My gym does the same thing. No wet clothes is a big one for me. It makes the air too humid. I’ve never sweated enough to get my clothes as wet as when I exit the pool. If someone can sweat that much, they are a better man than I.

You're clearly missing out (or something...). My t-shirt is saturated with sweat when I erg and I know plenty of people who sweat more than I do. It's not really an issue of how hard you're working so much as individual variation.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member

I doubt the moisture from swim trunks is any worse than the moisture from sweat. Maybe thinking about it that way will help you feel less annoyed.

Wow! That worked. I’m cured.

People can use the sauna for whatever they want as long as they're being respectful and mindful of others.

Agreed. I personally use it to sell my homemade body spray and breed dogs.

Favorite post of the day right here. Too funny.
  • Buttermello
    Buttermello Posts: 127 Member
    It's much more relaxing to me to listen to some music, and not be in complete silence. So my phone goes into the sauna with me (and steam room, cuz its waterproof).
  • allother94
    I’ll stop using my headphones when other stop drying their swimsuits by the heater and/or carrying on a conversation. Bottom line is that if there is no rule posted against a behavior, it’s ok. And a rule like “be considerate of others” is too vague.