Alcoholic, Quitting alcohol effortless weight loss

Kano899
Kano899 Posts: 14 Member
edited January 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been an alcoholic for the last 5 years. In 2019 i was going through stages of quitting and then starting drinking again after an "excuse" i am now sober again and have realised how important it is to health to quit if your fitness is an important goal to you. It makes exercise easier and eating healthy is now a doddle. I still wake up sometimes and crave a beer but iv realised how far i have come in such a short amount of time that i never want to go back to drinking alcohol again.
13 stone and fighting to get to 11 stone.
When i hit 11 its all about the muscle building.
I am here for support if anybody else needs any please add me...
Peace!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 25,571 Member
    Congrats! I had no idea how alcohol was affecting my weight until I did Weight Watchers in the 90s. I stopped self-medicating with alcohol in the late 90s, at which point I started comfort eating, so that's something to watch out for, but it does not seem to be an issue with you :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,234 Member
    congratulations on making the decision to make a change.
    keep growing :)
  • NewMeTomG
    NewMeTomG Posts: 60 Member
    Check out www.newdayforme.org to join a community of like-minded people interested in cutting down their drinking or cutting out drinking altogether. It is free for all and comprised of people from around the globe.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 25,571 Member
    Well done for quitting! I too, have recently come to the realisation that I have a problem with alcohol. It crept up on me very slowly and after a full on melt down New Year’s Day where I once again was fed up with waking up feeling like crap, I am attempting to become sober. Starting with dry January and then seeing how I go. It’s quite a daunting prospect as I’m so used to self medicating with alcohol to help my anxiety problems. Sad fact is, alcohol was most likely making them worse in the long term. It’s only been 12 days but already I feel 100% better, my skin is clearer, I’m sleeping better and I’m performing really well in the gym! Aiming for a loss of 20 lbs. good luck with your goals

I self-medicate with exercise these days ;)
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,201 Member
    My first go around with weight loss (4-5 years ago) I cut out the booze and lost 30 pounds in about 3 months. Fast forward, I'm back up 20-25 (from a total loss of almost 60). And, I know alcohol is mostly to blame. More accurately, my inability to limit it. So, I'm back on the sober train for now. I'd like to be able to have a drink with dinner here and there, but initially, I need to cut it out completely. Good luck and congratulations.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,177 Member
    Congratulations! I have alcoholics in my family and have seen them struggle with quitting and have also seen some have great success. Vigilance always, but it can be done.

As long as you don't substitute with food, it is amazing how stopping alcohol can contribute to weight loss. I don't know the mechanics of it but it seems that alcohol contributes more than calories and drinking regularly seem to affect metabolism. I may be all wrong on that but that is the impression I get from my own experience.
  • SalopWelsh
    SalopWelsh Posts: 6 Member
    I'm a few days into not drinking, though more in the hopes of it helping my mental health as opposed to my physical health - I came to the realisation that I was using it as a socially acceptable method of self harm and it was harming both myself and my relationships with others.

I don't see me never having a drink again, I just need to figure out how to drink for enjoyment again and in moderation rather than to block out trauma and act stupidly.

That said, even in the few days I've gone sober, I've noticed the numbers on the scales creeping down quicker than they did before.