What was the last meal you cooked?

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Ok went a little crazy on the artichoke love today. I found some fresh baby artichokes (carciofi) from Egypt at a lil market.
    (And I didn’t take a photo! Dah!)

Was seriously craving my Grandmother in law’s Carciofi alla Giudìa and Carciofi all Romana. So I made both! I think the artichokes we grow in Rome in our backyard are a little more tasty in the spring —- but I’ve still never met a artichoke I didn’t like!

Wow. Carciofi all Giudia is great but way too labour intensive for me. I've only eaten this at restaurants. Just looking at the instructions for how to clean them makes me tired. Kudos to you.

@acpgee - I’m still trying to perfect the crispness! My quest continues..

My MIL flash fries them ... there is a restaurant not far from us that makes it so perfectly ....I could eat the whole plate.

Is there a site where you follow the directions for cleaning? Removing the chokes seems to be such a painful operation if the artichokes a larger.

And lucky you, having to have a bolt hole in Travastere. Such a cool neighbourhood. When I was in grad school I shared the office with a post doc from Rome so we used to visit. I don't know if this is a typical Roman thing, but we would be talking about, say, ancient Rome, and he would start a sentence with "We Romans,...."
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Ok went a little crazy on the artichoke love today. I found some fresh baby artichokes (carciofi) from Egypt at a lil market.

Was seriously craving my Grandmother in law’s Carciofi alla Giudìa and Carciofi all Romana. So I made both! I think the artichokes we grow in Rome in our backyard are a little more tasty in the spring —- but I’ve still never met a artichoke I didn’t like!

I've lived in Rome for 33 yrs and there are not many backyards. Where do you live?

Hi Snowflake! Hi neighbor!

We own a building in Trastevere. (Also in Flaminio and off the Appia Antica by the catacombs / our main residence is in Trastevere though when we aren’t in NYC. ) We have little courtyards in all of them.. but my husbands Grandmother’s house south of Viale di porta ardetina has some substantial land around it. It gets some lovely sun all year round.

Are you familiar with Trastevere? We are close to Ponte Garibaldi.

What neighborhood are you in?

M

Somewhat--we're in Esquilino between Termini and the Colosseo. I asked because carciofi (artichokes) are a big plant and I've only seen them in the fields outside the city. We don't get to Trastevere often because it's not easy for us to get there from here. We're often in Centro and love to go to museums, see art shows, and tour churches and palazzos with a guide. I envy you your courtyards. We love to tour the weekend that they have open courtyards in Rome. I can't wait to see the Raphael exhibition at the Scuderia. Buona Giornata!
  • snowflake954

Wow. Carciofi all Giudia is great but way too labour intensive for me. I've only eaten this at restaurants. Just looking at the instructions for how to clean them makes me tired. Kudos to you.

My MIL flash fries them ... there is a restaurant not far from us that makes it so perfectly ....I could eat the whole plate.

Is it "Giardinetto"? We've eaten there and I love it.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member

@snowflake954 - Nonna Betta! It’s great! It’s off of via Del portico d’ottavia - try it and let me know what you think! I have to try Giardinetto :)
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    edited January 2020
    My usual, air fried chicken breast and veg this time was riced cauliflower with light soy sauce.
  • diamonds1202
    diamonds1202 Posts: 24 Member
    Vegan Japanese Chicken Karaage https://matchaandtofu.com/vegan-japanese-chicken-karaage/
    with rice and sauteed spinach with soy sauce
  • Safari_Gal_

I've lived in Rome for 33 yrs and there are not many backyards. Where do you live?

Hi Snowflake! Hi neighbor!

We own a building in Trastevere. (Also in Flaminio and off the Appia Antica by the catacombs / our main residence is in Trastevere though when we aren’t in NYC. ) We have little courtyards in all of them.. but my husbands Grandmother’s house south of Viale di porta ardetina has some substantial land around it. It gets some lovely sun all year round.

Are you familiar with Trastevere? We are close to Ponte Garibaldi.

What neighborhood are you in?

M

Somewhat--we're in Esquilino between Termini and the Colosseo. I asked because carciofi (artichokes) are a big plant and I've only seen them in the fields outside the city. We don't get to Trastevere often because it's not easy for us to get there from here. We're often in Centro and love to go to museums, see art shows, and tour churches and palazzos with a guide. I envy you your courtyards. We love to tour the weekend that they have open courtyards in Rome. I can't wait to see the Raphael exhibition at the Scuderia. Buona Giornata!

Hi Snowflake!

Cool! You’re close to one of our fav lil hole in the wall restaurants - Trattoria Vecchia. Though it’s getting kinda touristy. Yeah, the courtyards are great - we get a nice cross breeze with the windows open. /- but the real big gardens are at my grandmother in laws house just south of you... I’ll have to take a photo when the big artichokes bud! (And the lemon tree that won’t quit!)

Ps - That exhibition sounds beautiful! I often like to go to Villa Farnesina to walk around the garden and see the Raphael works.. worth the trip to Trastevere if you haven’t been! :)
  • Safari_Gal_

Is there a site where you follow the directions for cleaning? Removing the chokes seems to be such a painful operation if the artichokes a larger.

And lucky you, having to have a bolt hole in Travastere. Such a cool neighbourhood. When I was in grad school I shared the office with a post doc from Rome so we used to visit. I don't know if this is a typical Roman thing, but we would be talking about, say, ancient Rome, and he would start a sentence with "We Romans,...."

@acpgee - I used baby artichokes last so I kinda cheated! But- for the bigger ones I use a paring knife and a little scooper for the annoying bits in the center.

I like Chef Alessandri’s videos on artichoke cleanin - he makes it look so easy.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dSK9C77B0cQ

I ❤️ Trastevere. Lucky I married a Roman man. :)
    Yes / he always says he is Roman instead of Italian. Must be a thing?! His family does the same. “Romano, cento percento”

I’ve been into all the old Roman recipes lately.... hope I do them justice!
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    edited January 2020
    very simple and tasty low calorie/high protein lunch. 6 oz air fried chicken breast mixed with healthy choice veg medley frozen meal SWEET & SAVORY...360 calories, 42 g of protein.
    5pljpe53u30d.jpg

• Liverpool_Chris
    Liverpool_Chris Posts: 16 Member
    edited January 2020
    Some Keto breakfast muffins made with egg, almond milk, spinach, spring onion, tomato’s and cheese. They are absolutely delicious and will keep me going in the mornings for the rest of the week.

Definitely find that preparation is the key. This morning I didn’t have anything in and grabbed a ridiculously calorific coconut creme filled croissant from the shop on my way to work. Lesson learned.

Am not following a KETO diet, but the recipe is a good one.
  • Hamburgers for lunch.

Dinner will be from-scratch Cashew Chicken and rice, with cauliflower rice for the low-carber in the family.
  • snowflake954

@snowflake954 - Nonna Betta! It’s great! It’s off of via Del portico d’ottavia - try it and let me know what you think! I have to try Giardinetto :)

OK.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    Day 3 of roast chicken dinner from Sunday night. Chicken laksa.
    r66ml75pgg15.jpeg
  • pessxx
    pessxx Posts: 1,246 Member
    meatballs with cabbage salad and aioli sauce
  • snowflake954
    Spinach and ricotta cannelloni in tomato sauce in the oven.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Chicken Coconut Soup/ Yum!
  • emeraldeyes2020
    emeraldeyes2020 Posts: 231 Member
    Chicken and bacon carbonara
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Fried pork chops, bagged salad and Pillsbury biscuits. I was feeling a bit last last night. Tonight it's taco salad with homeade guac. Still feeling pretty lazy, lol.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Sockeye Salmon & herbed cauliflower with spring greens on the side! .....and maybe 1 glass of Brunello. 🤫 😉