Random Question

Question:

I know there is a debate about how often you weigh yourself, however my question does not have anything to do about that.

My question is does anyone else experience a difference in sudden weight lost/gain overnight?

I ask this because I went on a date night with my husband and we tossed back several beers (which i logged later) and I knew I shouldn't have but I weighted the next day just for a reference and holy cow! It showed about a 5-6lb difference. I did drink water and I normally drank well over my "limit" needed per day. I guess I am wondering if that is normal or not. I haven't drank beer in about a month or so and if I do drink an adult beverage it is wine and I measure it and log it. I do weigh daily just to keep myself on track and it seems to work for me for a mindfulness standpoint.

Any feedback would be appreciated! :)

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I found that any time I do some things totally different than my normal I have a sudden (water) weight gain. Mostly this is eating much more sodium or carbs than normal, drinking more, or exercising more than normal (like the day I walked 24 miles and gained 4 lb). I suspect the beers were the main culprit. Stay off the scale and eat like usual and the weight should go away in a few days.
  • amberclem6
    amberclem6 Posts: 12 Member
    Thank you both! I really appreciate the feedback. I felt like one night would not undo three weeks of progress. I feel reassured lol :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    amberclem6 wrote: »
    Thank you both! I really appreciate the feedback. I felt like one night would not undo three weeks of progress. I feel reassured lol :)

When I drink alcohol, it usually takes 5ish days for the water weight to come back off. Just FYI. You may be different.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Yes, weight can fluctuate due to many variables. What I look at is a weekly, 10 day, and monthly trend. I don't feel there is anything wrong with weighing yourself every day (if you can accept the normal fluctuation). It actually calms me, because I feel more confident that if I see a true weight gain I can adjust quickly.
  • rodnichols69
    rodnichols69 Posts: 83 Member
    My weight varies 5-6 lbs each day. Its nothing to be concerned about. Just keep doing the right things and watch the long term trends.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    amberclem6 wrote: »

When I drink alcohol, it usually takes 5ish days for the water weight to come back off. Just FYI. You may be different.

Same with me. Regardless of drinking tons of water that day and cardio next day, the spike will last five days for me as well.
  • artanis50
    artanis50 Posts: 96 Member
    I did an experiment once where I weighed myself every hour during the day. My weight fluctuates all day based on what I ate or what came out. (Sorry). It was about a 5 lb difference throughout the day. Im sure it’s just the beer causing the fluctuation