40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Les Mills COMBAT COMBAT:30+Brute Force Blue Line Fitness Series: MMA Cardio! 60#!!!
  • gam3rguy
    22 Minute Hard Corps: Cold Start & Brute Force Blue Line Fitness Series: Lower Body AMRAP!!!! 60#!!!
  • gam3rguy
    "Body Beast Build: Back/Bis"=Done!
  • Weighed in today. Scale steady but I'm down a size, so recomp is happening. I'm having some gut pain today and until I figure out what it is, I'm going to rest.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Hi all. Did a version of crossfit yesterday. It was good. Certainly got a sweat on. Then curled for just shy of two hours. I can feel that I am getting stronger; my arms were not nearly as tired sweeping as they were 2 weeks ago. :)
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,691 Member
    Two days ago I spent National Bench Press Day (aka Monday) under a squat bar doing leg day instead. No wait times, and almost no DOMS. Score!

Unfortunately, my lower back is reminding me about that one set of deadlifts where my form broke down. Phooey. Not severe pain, more of a discomfort, but a good reminder to do things right in the future.

Another reminder I got on Monday was the lesson being wary of comparisons. As in, do not compare yourself to others, but against yourself. While I was in the squat rack, a young woman half my age and half my weight set up in the next rack over and worked her way up to not only squatting with the same bar weight I was using, but with a deeper dip (I go thighs parallel to ground, she was hips to ankles). The old me from a decade ago would have felt compelled to immediately up my own weight, despite the fact I was doing sets of ten and she doubles. But the more mature me just applauded her set, then went right back to what I was doing, lifting a heavier weight than my last squat day and being happy about it.
  • sdereski
    An hour of Pilates followed by 50 minutes of strength training. :)
  • gam3rguy
    22 Minute Hard Corps: Cold Start & Brute Force Blue Line Fitness Series: MMA Cardio AMRAP!! 60#!!!
  • gam3rguy
    "Body Beast Build: Legs"=Done! with Vest ,Sandbags, Dumbbells & EZ bar!!!
  • Given that I have a standing budget, no gym today. I will be hefting groceries and walking all over creation today. That will suffice.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I did my first 8x8 workout last night...used super light weights...still really kind of struggling at the end to keep up tempo...oh my...this is going to be so much fun!!!
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    40 years old here, still trying to get used to being a stay at home mom after being in the work force for 25 years. I'm glad that there is a group to get support from, that has some of the same issues, and opinions as I do. I've always struggled with weight, especially after having my daughter 5 years ago.
  • kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    I was 32 when this thread started. I'm 40 now and now I can participate! LMBO! Hip Hop Abs Cardio later.
  • nossmf
    Chest/shoulders/tris day today. Lower back still a little sore, spent some time in the hot tub even though I normally only do that on leg day. Am thinking Saturday when I do back I will modify just a little bit. Most of my lifts should be good to go as I can brace myself with either a pad or my non-working arm, just need to leave off the bent over barbell row. Must give some thought to a suitable replacement which won't risk aggravating my lower back...
  • gam3rguy
    Les Mills COMBAT COMBAT:30+Brute Force Blue Line Fitness Series: Total Body AMRAP! 60#!!! 4- completed rounds!!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    @nossmf - if you have an adjustable bench, then you can incline it and brace your chest against it for your rows which might enable you to work the upper back without putting too much pressure on the lower back...or if you have a bar you can do pull-ups or if you have anchored bands, you can do band pull-ups...good luck and happy hunting for alternative back work!
  • sdereski
    A good strength training workout at lunch today. It was leg day. :) I have worked out consistently all month and I am feeling stronger. I am leaving tomorrow for 2 weeks and am concerned I am going to lose all I have worked so hard for. But, I am registered for my classes, so hopefully, will be able to jump right back in when I get back.
  • gam3rguy
    "Body Beast Build: Shoulders"=Done!
  • nossmf
    So Friday night I slept pain-free for the first time all week (no tweaking of the back whenever I rolled over), and Saturday morning I felt like I could do my full usual back routine. So of course I did what everybody SHOULD do:

When you feel your injury has gotten good enough to do something...wait another week.

I still did my back workout, but in place of bent over BB rows I found a machine with a chest brace for low rows, then did the rest of my workout (shrugs, DB rows, pulldowns, facepulls, curls) as normal. I then spent more time in the hot tub, and now hours later (darn graveyard shift) my back is not only still pain free but with a nice, full range of motion. Score!

Due to my graveyard shifts and refusing to lift without a full NIGHT of sleep first, my next lifting day will be Friday, leg day. By then it'll be almost two full weeks since I tweaked my back doing deadlifts, so hopefully I'll be good to go again.

Gotta say, though, I really don't like doing multiple reps of deads. Personally I almost feel there's more injury risk of doing multiple moderate-weight reps in a row, where form can break down, rather than a single heavy-weight rep where focus is tight.